New filly here tonight!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albahurst

Reaction score
A beautiful black pinto filly arrived at our house tonight. She was up in 5 min and bucking around in her stall in 20 min. I couldn't believe it! Amazing! Only problem is she is disinterested in nursing, as she would rather play! And, her poor mother is so engorged that when I got her to latch on and nurse a little, she gagged. I have been syringing it in and trying to get her to latch on. I don't know how it will ever work if her mother is so loaded with milk. Do I need to milk the mare????

Guess the filly fairy was at my house tonight, Riverdance
default_wink.png

PS Congrats on your colt, too! I bet he is a handsome boy!

Update- Baby is nursing now when I hold her head in place. Thank goodness- maybe now I can get some sleep! IgG will be done tomorrow.

Thanks, all, who offered suggestions about this problem. It worked!!!!

I will post photos tomorrow and more info. I have got to get some sleep! lol

Our delivery story-

I decided I would check on my beautiful Lace around 8:40 ish, as I wanted to get to bed early- feeling quite certain this mare would go tonight (last night). She had developed white milk when I checked her at 7pm. I had an Equipage on her and it had been working! Well, when I got out to the barn, there was the foal- both she and Lace were still down, the delivery had just happened. Lace was nickering at her new baby. A precious moment! Baby was working at getting the rest of the sack off her face. The alarm NEVER went off! That sneaky mare! lol Next year I am going to have a camara in my foaling stalls!

Here she is! No name yet- would take suggestions.

DSC06364.jpg

DSC06363.jpg

I liked this photo alot so just wanted to add it here. Not quite a full two days yet-

Alba Hursts Star of India (aka- Indy)

DSC06393.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah Peggy!! Congratulations!

Oh, and where's the pictures? You MUST supply pictures my dear!
default_laugh.png

Congratulations! I would milk the mare if she is that engorged - give some to the foal and you can always freeze some for later in case you need it for another foal. It will help the foal to be able to latch on and give the mare a little comfort. Can't wait to see her photos!
default_smile.png

Peggy, I am dieing here! Darn email! I want to see pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so sorry this baby gave you such a time. Thinking back I remember one of Lace's daughters, Buttons or Paradigm, having a foal that choked on milk too. Mares from this line seem to be VERY heavy milkers.

And regarding the slow to nurse........It's a Skipper characteristic. Many of his foals just don't seem interested at first. They are strong, have a good suck reflex, but absolutely drive us to DISTRACTION! We do exactly what you were doing. Then several hours into the game all of a sudden the darn foal walks over to mom, sticks it's head under her and latches on like they have been doing it for hours! By that time I'm so tired and stressed I'm about in tears. Don't ya just love 'em?

I hope all is going well now.

Hug Ms Lace for me.

Charlotte

p.s. We are waiting on Lace's daughter, Paradigm, to foal right now....I don't mean she is ready to foal, just getting close.
default_smile.png
It looks like Frank and the show horses will be going to Wichita Falls by themselves.

Congratulations Peggy!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah I really do think there should be a rule against posting new arrivals without pictures!!
default_wink.png

Hi Peggy,

YAHOO!!!! Congrats on your filly.......waiting on pics too!!!!

Hope the filly fairy comes for a visit here today
default_smile.png

Peggy, She is a cutie! Glad all went well and she is nursing good now. take care, Sheila

What a stunning baby! Look at her legs, love the socks.

Big congratulations on a beautiful baby.

Hi Peggy!!! Congratulations on such a beautiful black filly..
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Sounds like she is doing great too.

And now that she nursing you can get some rest
default_biggrin.png
default_yes.gif

Congratulations on a beautiful little girl!!!!!!!

Viki

Back