New clipping question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k9mini2

Reaction score
I read the below cipping question and I have one of my own slightly different. I have done a lot of clipping but never for show. One of the most irritating results I have is when I am doing the face and the lower legs I seem to always leave little clipper tracks on the face and lower legs.

I use A5 clippers with a 10 blade on the face (because I am just doing this to clean them up in the spring)

I always send my blades out to be sharpened so I always start the face and legs with a newly sharpened set. but I still get tracks.

Am moving the clipper to fast, holding it at a bad angle ?
default_wacko.png
: The face an lower leg are more boney and thus have more difficult angles. I alwasy make sure they minis is bathed and completly dry before I start. I have blade wash and lubricant and cooling spray... real puzzled.

Good question, have never clipped for show, but how bout something like the Arco Micro thing everyone raves about for the face? Not sure about the legs..

I'm new at it so will watch this post too although if you do a search I know there are orevious posts and pages on clipping that are really good with demos.

Maxine

We've had the same experience with the A5's. They simply do not have the power to clip properly, even with a clean blade. :no: :saludando: :no: We struggled for about a year with them trying to show clip, and they just do not do the job, even on a clean bathed horse. The Double K's do not leave "corduroy" marks and will clip cleanly and smoothly. You can use a 15 or 30 blade on the face for a short show clip, or a 10 for a regular long clip.

Make sure the face and legs are squeeky clean.

See info below

Joyce

Rose is right on.

It's the A5's drove me up a wall.

Now I've got Double K's.

They don't do that at all but I always manage to hang myself with the cable

I agree about the brand. I did a HORRIBLE job clipping (I mean HORRIBLE) no matter what tips I tried or advice I took. I had two different clipper sets that were new. I can't remember the brands.

I got Double K's for Christmas and ever since, the horses have looked a million times better. I still make some little mistakes, but usually going over the same spot again fixes it.

i use A5's and dont have that trouble. The bony areas are always harder and usually retain more dirt. Be sure the legs and head are really really clean. If you get a track just go back over it again. take your time and do one whole leg perfectly before you move on. Heads and legs are the hardest areas to clip and I think people rush it because most horses are touchy about these two areas

Thank you everyone. Glad to know its not just me.

Looks like I am going to have to ask for some new clippers for my birthday or Christmas. But since both are so far away :bgrin

I guess I am going to have to do like Kaykay suggests and do extra scrubbing on those areas.

I am just so glad to know that I am not making some dumb mistake. :lol:

Double K is definately the way to go. Far more power than the A5. We really like the Laube blades and at 9.95 new I buy new ones every year. I don't like the sharpened blades as I don't think they cut as well and dull faster than new blades. I use the older blades for the quick clips and clean up but use new blades for show clipping.

I do not know if you are talking about osters or andis. I use the a-5 blades, but in the andis clippers. I love them for faces and legs. I just take my time and do each leg and each side of the face until they are completely done. Sometimes I will have to go over a spot, but the key is to take it slowly and keep the blade as flat on the body as possible. It is hard to do that on the curves of legs and heads and then clipper tracks can be a problem.

Good luck.

Angie

hmm I use the A5 as well and havent had the problem with them? I just saw today in a new horse mag that was mailed to me I dont exactly know how new they are but, I saw A5 Turbo's in there... the body is a Blue, and still looks like the A5, they are supposed to be a little bit wider blade and run 20% cooler... from what the ad says lol
default_wacko.png
:

In my opinion you need patience and LOTS of it to get a good clip. I'm not the most experienced clipper ever but just about everytime I can get a smooth clip as long as I take my time. It also helps that I'm slightly obsessive with everything I do being having to be perfect
default_rolleyes.gif
: . I don't do the fancy show clips, just enough to buzz the winter woolies off. I also use Oster Sunbeam clippers and a 10 blade. Again I'm not an experienced clipped but time and patience will pay off.

I did a facial clip on both of my boys(I got anxious to see what was under the fur) and this was Spirit's first time being clipped. It took alot of time to show him that the clippers weren't going to bite him or anything, and it did take a long time just to get his face done (about half an hour) but I think the extra effort paid off in the end

pict0014.jpg

101_0033.jpg

Right! The faster you try to go the more tracks that are left. At least that's my experience. I used the A-5 Turbo last year and the biggest problem was it got too hot. I mean I switched out the blades so they stayed cool but the clipper motor is in your hand it actually got too hot to hold (clipping 2 horses). A wide tooth blade #10 I found best for taking off that long winter fur and then have to go back and clean the whole thing up with a regular #10 and get rid of all the tracks. Good lighting will make it easier to see the "tracks" and sometimes a second opinion from someone standing at a different angle than you are.

Lots of patience and you'll get the hang of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
default_yes.gif
: The A5's are just as bad on dog clipping. I used A3's for about 15 years until someone stole my clippers and to my discust They no longer made the A3 so had to go to the A5 It is not as powerful, nor is it as good of blades. I've never clipped horses, we've just always let them shed out naturaly. Whenever we've shown it's been in the hunter class, always int summer and fall so no need to clip.

Latest posts

Back