New Baby

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It has been a very long time since I have posted, I read and enjoy. But, I am needing some advise. When I got home from work yesterday I had a maiden mare that had started to foal. The front legs and head were out and the mare was up walking around. I worked hard trying to pull the baby, but had no luck. I called the vet and he said a leg was catching, he was able to get it moved so that he could get the baby out. The mare seems fine. Baby is real alert but doesn't have use of it's back legs. I am feeding it because it can't get up to nurse. It seems to be strong just can't use those back legs. The vet was out again today and just said to give him time and keep feeding him. He said there might be some back injury or nerve damage. I had milked the mare and feed him once while I was waiting for the vet to come and pull him. I am getting plenty of milk down him. Has anyone had this problem with the back legs due to not getting out in time. I don't know how long he had been part way out. I didn't expect him quite this soon, he does not look premature. I pasture breed so don't know exactly when they will foal. Any advise on what to do for the legs. Also how much and how often do you nurse a foal. I am giving him about two ounces every three hours. His gums are bruised and sore, I don't know if he got banged and bumped around alot while he was hanging there. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Sue

do you have an equine hospital you can get him to? My fear is he may have nerve damage or be paralyzed from being stuck so long. Keep in mind he must be fed every 2 hrs thru out the day and night. Sending prayers for your foal

edited to say you also need an igg test to see if he got enough colostrum.

Last edited:
do you have an equine hospital you can get him to? My fear is he may have nerve damage or be paralyzed from being stuck so long. Keep in mind he must be fed every 2 hrs thru out the day and night. Sending prayers for your foal

lil bit the reason i say to take him to a hospital rather then wait is because its not good for a horse even a foal to be in the down position for very long. Does he try to use his back legs at all?? Have you tried massaging the back legs and hips??

I have been feeding him all through the day and night and will be sure to get an igg test. If he is not better by morning I will consider taking him to K-State. I am working with the legs everytime that I go out to feed. Thanks for your reply

lil bit the reason i say to take him to a hospital rather then wait is because its not good for a horse even a foal to be in the down position for very long. Does he try to use his back legs at all?? Have you tried massaging the back legs and hips??
He is trying, and I have been massaging legs and hips. One leg is starting to respond.

Last edited by a moderator:
How scary and frustrating for you.

I am with Kay and think this foal needs to get to a hosptial and quickly there is only a certain amount of time you can run a IGG test and I think the morning will be to late. I am not 100 percent positive but I do believe it has to be done within 24 hours.

that said I also think he may need a sling and of course with the sling comes 24 hour observation as he cant be in the sling all the time they can x-ray and tell you what you are dealing with. There could be a disc out of place or a fracture or it would be a pinched nerve but without knowing what you are truly dealing with I am not sure you will be able to help even with massage and such as it could be moving something in the wrong way.

Hi Sue,

So sorry you are having a foaling problem especially while Larry is gone to the meeting!

The back leg issue could be temporary nerve damage or it could be something else. If you could get him to an equine vet hospital, you may be a lot better off that way.

Also the feeding issue - I doubt he is getting enough to eat. A new foal needs one ounce per every 10 lbs body weight per hour. So if he weighs 20 lbs, he would need 2 ounces or 60 cc every hour.

Since he is unable to nurse on his own at this point, it might be a lot easier to put a NG tube in place and feed him that way until he's able to use his legs. Might be something a vet hospital could do.

Good luck with him and keep us posted.

Sue,

I don't know if this will be of help, but I would try calling Dr. James Ennis. He is an equine chiropractor. Since he would know the structure of horses he may be able to give you some idea of what to expect or what to try. He may advise you to take the baby to K State, but I know that I would be looking for answers just as you are. I will send you his phone number if you want to call Dr. Ennis. My first thought was to get on here and answer you, but then I wasn't sure about putting a phone number on the forum without permission.

My prayers are with you and your baby. Hoping for the best!

Janet

oh no!!!!

poor baby....

im sorry your going through such a worrying time

i hope you have some good news soon

Oh Sue, I am so sorry to hear of all this especially with Larry gone. I agree with everyone else he probably needs to go to KState. I will be praying for you and your baby. Sheila

Thanks Becky,

You are right. He is showing some progress in his legs, but is getting weak. I am not getting him enough milk. Mama is starting to dry up. I am going to be at the vet this am and get some foal Lack and talk with him about an NG tube. If I hold the one leg straight for him he can now walk.

Thanks for your help.

Sue

What about a soft splint- I made some good ones out of artificial Gamgee- strong enough to help, not rigid enough to hinder.??

Oh Sue

Bless you for doing your best to keep the little fellow going. Thank goodness his little legs are improving. Now if you can just get more for him to eat! and that IGG Test is a must do right away to be sure he got enough colostrum.

I'd sure keep milking the mare to try to keep her producing milk! Better for baby than anything!

What a scary sight to see that baby hanging there! Why is it that things ALWAYS go wrong when hubby is no where around!!!!!

I'm pulling for you and that little guy!

Charlotte

Oh Sue, hope he gets better soon.

Prayers your way.
default_pray.gif
:

Keep us posted.

How scary and frustrating for you! Sending prayers for your little one!

My friends foal did something similar and had spinal nerve injury from birth. Her vet was more aggressive and treated with steroids to decrease the inflamation around the nerve. Also did some chiropractic adjustments. It took him a long time to recover but he's fine now. I think you need to get another opinion.

Latest posts

Back