new baby!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostedpineminis

Reaction score
Ok so my last foal of the year arrived this morning at exactly 3:45AM, She is a buckskin filly and what gets me is she has the most gorgeous blue eyes. Mom is a bay and dad is a perlino. So where did the blue eyes come from. perlinos parents are a buckskin and a palomino. Moms parents are a bay and a black... no blue eyes... anybody have ideas, can you test for blue eye gene...

DSC00653.JPGDSC00662.JPG

naw she is Stunning Congratulations!!

I don't know much about blue eye genes sorry,

just wanted to say congrats on a gorgeous filly!!
default_wub.png

Ok so my last foal of the year arrived this morning at exactly 3:45AM, She is a buckskin filly and what gets me is she has the most gorgeous blue eyes. Mom is a bay and dad is a perlino. So where did the blue eyes come from. perlinos parents are a buckskin and a palomino. Moms parents are a bay and a black... no blue eyes... anybody have ideas, can you test for blue eye gene...

View attachment 3517View attachment 3518
Does your perlino have blue eyes? My cremello stallion has blue eyes and comes from a palomino and smokey black. I know a cremello has to have blue eyes, not sure about perlino.

Marsha

Very cute! Frame, splash and homozygous cream cause blue eyes. These blue eyes might change as she gets older however.

Congratulations.

Lizzie

Last edited by a moderator:
No colour expert here, but from where I'm sitting she doesn't look like a buckskin to me
default_unsure.png
Palomino perhaps....

edited to add: Perlinos and Cremellos have blue eyes and if that's the sire in your avatar, he looks like a palomino (or at least...not a perlino).

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also no color expert... But.... If your stallion is a perlino he would have blue eyes which would be where the foal likely got them. IF he does not have blue eyes then I do not think he can be a perlino (I could be mistaken but it is my understanding that perlinos and cremellos always have blue eyes). I also believe that blue eyes are a recessive gene so they may carry the gene for the blue eye without actually having them and if 2 of the genes are passed on (one from stallion and one from mare) then the foal will have blue eyes.

And I also agree that to me the picture does not look like a buckskin foal but I am no expert for sure
default_smile.png

She is very cute though.

Pretty baby, congrats.
default_smile.png
As for the blue eyes, I have had and seen a quite a few foals who have blue eyes at birth who's eyes darken with age and are some shade of brown as an adult. I suspect she will not have blue eyes when she is older. Perlinos and cremellos do have blue eyes but that is related to the double dilute rather than a blue eye gene, they won't be passed along to their foals unless they are also double dilutes. Of course if the horse also carries one of the overo genes responsible for blue eyes in non dilutes then that gene can certainly be passed to a foal. I do agree with the others who say she doesn't appear to be a buckskin. Just doesn't have the darker points/mane and tail that a buckskin would.

She does have the black hair, mane and tail as well as the tips of her ears are turning. I didnt acount the perlino stallion as passing on the blue eyes as I also put it to him being double dilute and being a lack of pigment rather than the blue eyes as in overos and stuff. I have never seen that deep of blue eyes before but maybe they will go away, although I hope not lol I didnt take very good pictures, this is the only one that shows her hair color and eye color the best. she is way too bouncy to take pictures by myself haha

DSC00666.JPG

That kind of crazy white blue doesnt change to dark from what I understand. Someone is hiding overo down the lines. I love color genetics. Nice baby.

I hope so lol, so should I test her for LWO or something the parents as well? can perlinos or cremellos carry those things?. I will have to check some lineage maybe... haw far back would you check???

You can discount the blue eyes in creams of any nature, they are not hereditary they are caused only by the DD gene.

She has the black eye liner that is typical of Splash- this can be hidden very effectively in almost any colour and pattern.

I bred a black mare by my Red Dun o/o a Black mare- the foal was jet black, shiny, and had ice blue eyes.

I dislike them myself, I like a nice brown, deep eye, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and she is a lovely filly.

Whether the eyes fade or not remains to be seen, with Buckskin it is hard to say, you could go two years and suddenly think "did that filly not have blue eyes? How come they are grey now?" they could fade so gradually!

It matters not, she is pretty and healthy, who could ask for more?

I doubt Frame, but you should always test if there is the slightest chance- Frame rarely if ever causes blue eyes on it's own, in fact we are now doubting that it does so at all- it would appear that Splash alone is the contender for causing blue eyes.

Does dad carry silver? Could she be a silver buckskin? I would've thought she'd have more black in her mane and tail if she was a buckskin, but then, I've never had a buckskin foal!

We've had blue eyes pop up through the years from parents who have none, but never without some white markings. Is dad hiding pinto in all his white as well?

I really like her Nikki, take lots of pictures for me as she grows up!

absolutly no white on any parents or grandparents on studs side, all solids, mother and father of dam are both solids. her grandparents there is a paint but he belongs to Kendra, and so far I havent seen any of his babies with blue eyes...

I have not color tested either of the parents to check for silver... but curiosity is getting the better of me lol

Congrats on the filly! I knew Spirit would give you nice foal(s). After having his grandsire, and now sire in my program for years I could not be happier with my foals . The filly is a keeper! Love more pictures as she gets older. She will make a nice cross with your Buckeroo lines.

All the best.

Michelle

Latest posts

Back