New Baby Guinea Pigs!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Watcheye

Reaction score
These have to be one of the cutest things on earth.... After not getting new pigs for 3 years I broke down. Back in August I lost one of my nicest sows to old age. I emailed a breeder that I knew and asked her if she had a lilac peruvian baby for sale. A very special guinea pig (Simon) of mine was lilac. As luck would have it her sow had just had babies either the night before or two days before. I was also told that she had a gold agouti and white baby. Another sentimental color for me as my Dimitri (Simons son) was gold agouti and white. SO....I took them both
default_laugh.png

I was not disappointed! They are adorable tiny balls of fluff. I have had baby peruvians several times but it never gets old. They make you weak in the knees due to the cute factor. The little lady (probably going to call her Evie but its still in the air) is a bit skittish but she will come around. The lilac (Zachary) is full of himself! He struts all over the place but when you pick him up he goes limp (Simon and Dimitri were the same way about being picked up and cuddled). Its a hoot.

Baby Dimitri for comparison

4d929856.jpg

Simon to show color (he was actually a silkie but the two breeds can be crossed and ultimately registered - as funny as that sounds with gpigs. He was also a lilac agouti so his coloring looks a smidge different around his face but you can see the lilac on his shoulders and back. Also - his fur goes straight back unlike peruvians. I often fluffed if forward as it added character lol)

simonflowers.jpg

THE NEW BABIES

DSC01595.jpg

Shes on the move a lot. She has a bit less hair as her previous cage mate was chewing it
default_rolleyes.gif

DSC01597.jpg

DSC01603.jpg

DSC01604.jpg

His mom got overzealous cleaning him off and took a piece of his ear
default_new_shocked.gif
Look at the cheek fluff!

DSC01605.jpg

Their hair has the potential to grow out like this (depending on who I cage them with
default_rolleyes.gif
)

5e77c89b.jpg

default_wub.png
:wub
default_wub.png

How cute! Makes me miss my little "squeekers" we raised years ago.

It's been more years than I care to remember, but I had a couple of Peruvians before I got into rabbits. The cute factor got me, too, but I could never keep up with their coats. I wound up having to give them shaggy haircuts to keep them from getting all matted up. I went to a big rabbit show a few weeks ago, and there were a bunch of cavies there - more than I've ever seen in one place at one time. They had colors and coats I'd never heard of! Wandering around, hearing all those little "weep,weep,weep"s, I got alll sentimental.
default_rolleyes.gif
It's a good thing my daughter wasn't with me, or bunnies might not have been the only thing we came home with (shhhhhh!) though I probably would have steered her toward one of the short haired breeds. There were a couple of Peruvians that had really impressive coats - I'd guess at least 12" long. They looked like animated wigs!
default_laugh.png

I go into my room and shake a bag and the Wheeking makes my day
default_laugh.png

The coats can be a challenge and often times I cut them short in the back but I like to keep them long in the front and that style works for all involved. Grooming a long haired pig is quite a production though. They have a flair for the dramatic!
default_rolleyes.gif

8741c953.jpg

Simon was as mellow as they come...unless he had a tangle...
default_biggrin.png

IMAG0065.jpg

A few years ago on that "Big Brother" show, the house guests had a couple guinea pigs as pets and I am a huge fan of the show. I'd watch it and say that Winston (my shih-tzu I lost in November, my baby), anyway I said Winston said if he was in the game, he'd win because he'd have formed an alliance with the guinea pigs and just laid low until the end. I think that shih-tzu's and guinea pigs look a lot a like when they have hairdo's like yours. I just love how cute they are!!! I had one as a kid and loved him very much
default_wub.png

PS now when we watched the current BB season and also Survivor, I say that Wilson and Watson also plan an alliance with the guinea pigs, even though there are no guinea pigs on the shows now, and I laugh at how "funny" I'm being. H just loves watching tv with me
default_rolleyes.gif

Hee hee thats Dimitri. Unfortunately he was not a big hit with the ladies.
default_rolleyes.gif
default_laugh.png

Too cute!!!

I just lost my Silky male while I was at Nationals. He was elderly, and I kind of expected it. I also have three Abby females and one smooth female. PLus a male, who I *think* is a Texel, but I'm not sure. He's got thick, long wavy hair, very unlike my Silky male.

Lucy

Too cute!!!
I just lost my Silky male while I was at Nationals. He was elderly, and I kind of expected it. I also have three Abby females and one smooth female. PLus a male, who I *think* is a Texel, but I'm not sure. He's got thick, long wavy hair, very unlike my Silky male.

Lucy
It probably is a texel. It kind of feels like a sheep. Here is a pic of our old Texel. He looks a bit like a Teddy in this pic but he had long hair. It just grows backwards like the silkies. I guess there is another version that is like a Peruvian too but I do not recall what they are called. There is one called an Alpacha but I dont know that that is it.

4bed2481.jpg

That guy was quite the character.
default_wub.png

Oh I live GP's!Yours are so very pretty!

I had one as a child, she lived to be quite elderly... 7 or 8 years. A very sweet black and white piggy named Patches. She had the medium length hair with curly Q's, but I really like the long hair. I would like a pair of pigs, but they would have to live in my barn. Patches lived in the barn and was obviously healthy to live so long, but g pig people have told me that have to be in the house (true?). I have quite a nice barn, but it is not heated. I spend almost as much time in my barn as my house. I would love to have a couple little squeekers to talk to me out there.

Guinea pigs are best suited for the house. They are VERY susceptible to heat and/or drafts. They can get respiratory infections, heat stroke ect...It really is best to keep them in the house and safe. ^_^

We lost our sweet little 2 year old girl gp a couple of weeks ago. We went to Denio's in Roseville, CA this last weekend and we got 2 little black and red rosette girls. So yesterday the original breeder of our late girl calls and tells me they have 2 girls for me. I went to see them today and they were short haired and plain. But while I was there one of there moms popped out 3 adorable babies. They were sooo cute. I may get another from them in 4-5 weeks.

Besides my horses, gp's are my other little passion. Got my first back in 2002 (sadly he pasted away a yar ago) and lost another one this summer. Now its just my old teddy who just keeps on going at 6.5 years and her 2 year old male companion (my rescued and now neutered man :D

Your new babies are absolutly lovely and hope you have a great time with them!!! Update with pictures every once in a while, love seeing the gp's !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back