NEW ARRIVAL DUE IN ABOUT THREE WEEKS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby dazzler

Reaction score
Hi. I have found Bobbie's new mate - a little pinto filly. The filly is his half sister - she shares the same mother. She is black and white, with exactly the same markings as Bobbie except a different colour. I am so excited. I do have one question though - she is only 4 mths old - so by the time I get here, she will be nearly 5 mths old. Is this old enough to be away from her mum - she has apparently already been weaned. Her owners are going to train her to lead this week, and will then organise for her to get branded so that in a few years I am able to show her, if I want. I thought branding sounded pretty barbaric but I dont know what the norm is. Still waiting for some good pic's to come thru frm the breeder - once I get them, I will post. The bonus is the breeder lives near my parents - so I have instructed dad to go down there and take some of his own photos too. Any advice re the early weaning of bubs would be appreciated. Regards, Kerrie

Gee Mona you're on a roll there with 5 times answering LOL!!!

I had the same question when I brought home my 6 month old filly and it seemed like she was weaned either too early, or right before she was put on a truck to be hauled here...but then I found out that a lot of people wean starting at 4 months old! I think my filly was just really freaked to be away from her old home =)

A lot of breeders will wean foals when they start eating on their own or start pulling mom down (aka mom isn't getting any nutrition or maintaining weight because the foal is suckling all her nutrients so she starts getting skinny). Some will wean foals earlier if they have a few foals around the same age to keep each other company, some will leave the foals on mom longer if they're an only foal. It all depends really on whether the foal is really ready, or not. But 4 months seems to be the starter so I would say yes, the filly is old enough to be away from mom, and enjoy having a baby!!

I don't know what they mean by "branding" her...do they mean registering her so she can be shown? I've never heard of branding a miniature....

Gee Mona you're on a roll there with 5 times answering LOL!!!
Yes, my computer had a heavy email coming in and slowed me down so much I kept "timing out". I didn't know it kept posting, as it took me to a page each time saying it was not available. UGH! LOL!

You've already gotten some good information.

I have NEVER heard of anyone branding minis except in very rare cases and usually if they do, it is freeze-branding.

It is most certainly NOT required for showing, though registration is.

If Bobby and she are going to be pasture mates, be aware that she can get pregnant as early as 8 months, and you will want to separate them until she's old enough (if breeding is your goal)

Liz M.

HI. Thankyou for all your replies. The web site continues to amaze me with all the fantastic answers I get from such wonderful people. Anyway, enuf of that. Yes, in relation to Bob and the filly, I had made the decision earlier to get him gelded - and actually have now made the vet's appt for next Wednesday - which will be confirmed on Monday by the vet. Apparently they will knock him out and then do it. The poor little guy - he has no idea what he is in for. So hopefully he will be well and truly on the mend by the time the little filly rocks up in about 3 weeks.

In relation to the branding, maybe it is an Australian requirement - I dont know - I have no idea. I just hope it wont hurt my baby. Oh and could anybody tell me roughly how big a 4 mth old filly would normally be - just trying to picture it - given bob is 15 mths and he is a shortie - well, a mini I mean. Ha.

Regards, Kerrie

HI. Thankyou for all your replies. The web site continues to amaze me with all the fantastic answers I get from such wonderful people. Anyway, enuf of that. Yes, in relation to Bob and the filly, I had made the decision earlier to get him gelded - and actually have now made the vet's appt for next Wednesday - which will be confirmed on Monday by the vet. Apparently they will knock him out and then do it. The poor little guy - he has no idea what he is in for. So hopefully he will be well and truly on the mend by the time the little filly rocks up in about 3 weeks.

In relation to the branding, maybe it is an Australian requirement - I dont know - I have no idea. I just hope it wont hurt my baby. Oh and could anybody tell me roughly how big a 4 mth old filly would normally be - just trying to picture it - given bob is 15 mths and he is a shortie - well, a mini I mean. Ha.

Regards, Kerrie

Hi Kerrie,

Congratulations on your new little girl she sounds like a cutie
default_smile.png
, I am also located in Australia on the Central Coast, I have seen quite a few minis with brands I personally dont like it We get our guys micro chipped instead, which is what a lot of the breeders around my area are starting to do, as I am pretty sure they have to be micro chipped or branded to be reg with MHAA.

anyways good luck with your new little girl
default_wub.png
: .

Hi and congrats on the new addition I look forward to seeing photos of her :bgrin

Im in western australia and all the registered minis over here (in WA) are branded. I had no idea they werent overseas - see you learn something new everyday lol

Freeze brand is the usual way but some studs prefer the fire brands - and yes all the brands are ugly but my girls have specially made brands that are smaller and more suited to a mini size. They have the stud brand on their near side and the foal number and year on the off side

(eg. 2 over 4 is the second foal born to that stud in 1994 or 2004 you have to work that out by teeth)

But I didnt know about the microchipping that sounds much better !!!!!!! (I will be hoping for my first foal next year and am dreading when its time for branding
default_sad.png

Hope that helps a bit.

Congrats again :aktion033:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back