Neverending Saga: Here's Amy!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Amy was spayed yesterday Some say its a shame because this dog came with outstanding credentials that could take her to the top of the show ring. Do I look like I care? Nah......She could be bred to a champion dog, produce puppies galore that I could sell at top dollar. Gee whiz, I screwed myself out of some bucks. So what? Won't be the first time! Does every well bred dog have to be bred and produce? No. It's just a personal decision I made; the right one for Amy and I. Will spaying make Amy any less of a good dog? No. Spaying has no bearing on the outcome of how a puppy learns, behaves, or is trained. Now a days, veterinarians suggest that a female dog be spayed as soon as possible to help avoid the chance of breast cancer, and also because puppies tend to heal faster.

There's one thing about a German Shepherd Dog: They are a people pleaser. No other dog on the face of the earth will bend over backwards, use their remarkable brain, and try to figure out what you want of them like a GSD. Loyal and loving to a fault, the GSD would lay down their life for you, no doubt about it.

Amy is growing like a weed. She has weighed in at all of 50 pounds at 5 months old and she has been quite the challenge! Amy gives new meaning to a bull in a china shop. Amy gallops like a herd of elephants, recklessly full speed through the house, loosing control, missing the turns, and body slamming into the wall or furniture. Her brakes don't work very well and she slides and skids across the floor sideways, crashing and flopping around the floor like a fish out of water. We try to catch her when we see it coming, but sometimes it all just happens so fast!

Amy has been teething. Her ears were UP pretty good until she began to teeth. That caused her ears to flop making her look as goofy as she is. She gets extra doses of calcium now to help them stand back up but I'll probably have to wrap them within the next few days anyhow. Teething is such a fun time ! Although she has an abundance of toys to play with and some special toys for teething, she has eaten the bathroom floor. I heard a commotion one day and she was barking and growling so I went to investigate. There she was, she was fighting with the floor.
default_wacko.png
: Yes, apparently she began to dig on the edge of the vinyl until she caused a rip, and then proceeded to grab it, pull back, and well, I have duck tape holding it together. .Since that was so much fun, she decided to do the same thing in the mud room and rip that vinyl up too. I have a big hole in the middle of it. Oh well, it's only flooring! Amy just loves to eat and munch on everything she can find, and that includes human flesh. We all have bite marks, scratches and scars from her over exuberance and lust for life. The sign of true love.
default_wub.png
:

Amy has come a long way in her training. Yes, I am now trained very well to sit, so she can load up on my lap; stay, so she stops running frantically trying to find me, and get down; so she can physically abuse me while I lay on the floor. Playing outside with Amy is just plain scary, and painful!!!!!!. She doesn't allow me to walk. She walks sideways in front of me so my knees knock into her. It's hard for me to arrive at my destination with a dog walking sideways in front of me tripping me. Her favorite game is to fetch anything that I throw. The problem is in the retrieval. Oh, she gets her prey all right. But upon the delivery back to me, she runs as hard and as fast as she can back and tackles me to the ground "I got it, I got it Mommy!" "Yup, you've got it" as I lay flatted out on my back with this giant pup on my body. Yes, she has honestly knocked me to the ground twice. She had to call a crane to get me back up.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Amy's latest fun thing is to wake me up in the morning by attacking me with her giant paws. She lunges on my side of the bed and digs her huge feet into my hair. When I tell her "No, get off" she then takes both her paws and begins to dig them into my head, left, right, left, right, left, right, as if she is digging for a bone. "OUCH! Are you crazy?" Yes, she is. I hide my head under the covers but that gets her really mad so she launches her body on top of mine chewing me up, till I am laying there kicking my feet and squirming and SCREAMING "Knock it off Amy!" "Jerry can you get her offa me?" "Somebody come get this dog offa me please!" "Anybody home?" That's the problem. Hus left for work so she needs me to get up and keep her company. But I wasn't done sleeping! I am left wounded and have to get up and get a shower because I have dog feet stink in my head and who knows what those feet stepped in? I guess I'm done sleeping.

I was concerned that Amy would have a hard act to follow, and I wouldn't bond with her like I wanted. However, Amy has come through in many important areas. She has actually picked up some of Tracey's exact habits. One is that she sleeps under my desk across my feet when I’m on the computer. I love that. I need that. Another thing is that she follows me from room to room like Tracey did and gets hysterical when I'm out of her site. And yes, I do have company in the bathroom during any and all procedures, need I say more? Amy is starting to listen to me finally and comes, usually by the second "AMY!" The first one gets her attention and she stares at me like "what?". The second one gets her moving towards me. That's a huge plus. She really tries hard to listen. She can also tree a cat in 3 seconds flat and when she does catch them, she doesn't hurt them, but bats them around with her big paws. They are used to that. When the cats have enough, they spit on her and whack her and then they are often found laying together in the yard.

Amy pees for Daniel and all his friends. :new_shocked: She goes insane when Dan comes home. This is really messy and a bit of a problem. I haven't figured this one out yet but every time Dan comes in the door, with or without friends, she squats and pees. :eek: I think it's an act of submission or over excitement. I finally instructed Dan to ignore her when he walks in the door and wait until she settles down to pet her. She adores Dan. She also is in love with Hus really bad. He has her spoiled rotten. He spends a good hour with her at night playing and when he gets tired he says "Amy, I don't want to play anymore" and then spends an additional half hour trying to convince her that he's really tired. :lol:

Yesterday was very quiet and sad for old Devin and I. I dropped skinny Amy off at the vets first thing in the morning and she made friends with every dog in the waiting room. She's Miss Congeniality! But I had to keep explaining to everyone in there that I am not starving her, she's just growing too fast! Pictured is her ride to the vet in the truck, all dressed up pretty as she can be in one of her little pink outfits. Yea, we love to play dress up. I took a close up of her jewelry that she wears on her collar that we found at Petco where the pets go. I returned home to find old Devin very upset because Amy was not with me. I suspect he was scared but very surprising, seeing as how this is the bad doggy that didn't want her in his domain and tried to clean her clock at first. He really was missing her. The old doggy paced and paced all day long, going from door to door and looking for her out every window. Where was that Pup-Zilla?

The spaying was uneventful and we returned home late afternoon and feeling no pain. We were groggy and on pain meds. She woke up when daddy came home and she went right to him for sympathy and he was happy to give her plenty of it. (Pictured). She konked out real good for the night. This morning, true to form, there she was waking me up "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy!" Paws in my head......oh well, why not? Isn't that what best friends are for?

Thank you for your time.

The bottom pics are of Amy this morning feeling fine. Success!

All dressed up, on our way to the vet. Isn't she looking cute?

She loves the bench seat on this truck because she can lay down and spread out.

AmyA.jpg

Getting sympathy from daddy

AmyB.jpg

This morning playing in the yard. She feels good!

AmyC.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pictures Marty! She looks well loved and very spoiled
default_wub.png
:

Amy has been teething. Her ears were UP pretty good until she began to teeth. That caused her ears to flop making her look as goofy as she is. She gets extra doses of calcium now to help them stand back up but I’ll probably have to wrap them within the next few days anyhow.
Quick question---we have adopted (drop off, we live on a gravel road) a looks like full blooded scottish terrier. When he first came to our house his ears were down, then after a good worming, getting rid of the ear lice and some good food in his belly they stood up for several weeks. Now they are drooping again, I can't seem to figure out why. He is teething (on everything
default_rolleyes.gif
: ), if you say this can cause it with german shepherds???? I guess it could happen with scotties? What kind of calcium are you giving? Do you get it from the vet? How much do you give? By pounds? Lots of questions :lol:

Yes teething in many breeds will cause the ears to flop.

I get a calcium tab from the vet, but you can get them anywhere. It goes by weight. Directions on the labels from the amount to give.

The name of these I have are Osteo-Form tabs $10. 49 from the vet

Last edited by a moderator:
Aww Marty she loves ya!
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

I have to admit, her ears crack me up though.

Your dog has more 'bling bling' then my car :bgrin :lol: :new_shocked:

I want a puuuuuuuppppy
default_sad.png
default_smile.png
default_yes.gif
:

default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

I want to come back in another life as a MARTY dog.....If the job is not already taken... :eek:

I also promise not to pee on the floor and I will leave the floor intact...( unless you want to make improvements) ? I am hard headed...but can be reasoned with if the bribe is tasty and sweet.....I can be quiet...but if ya want to have conversations I am more than willing to bla bla bla bla......and my best quality's are I can keep a secret...and I love to ride in pick ups going slow....
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Awww... Amy's too cute! I love, love, love the pink shirt and bling collar! I hope you save these wonderful posts. I don't reply often, but I always enjoy reading them.

Great job training Mommy, Amy! :aktion033: Such a good girl, now just stop knocking her down or else! Adorable doggie daughter Marty!

I to often read the stories but dont reply. SHe is growing up alright!

No other dog on the face of the earth will bend over backwards, use their remarkable brain, and try to figure out what you want of them like a GSD.
I disagree...........I think blue heelers are good for this as well.

And off the topic.........Demi.............are you sure that nakend little butt likes its pic in your avatar?
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Marty, Amy sounds like she is a lovely young holy terror! Having just raised two pups, I have several holes in my carpet! Waiting for the two or maybe three year mark to pass before buying new flooring. Oh, and the couch! The poor couch. OMG :new_shocked: No, you do not even want to know.

I am proud to share the name "Amy" with your beautiful pup. What a gawky yet beautiful young girl she is! I am looking forward to reading many more "Amy" stories in upcoming years.
default_smile.png

OMG Marty! Your stories like always leave me howling! :bgrin She is a hoot!

I think you are right on with the peeing with Dan thing, your advice for him to ignore her until she settles down.

She is growing up beautifully
default_yes.gif
:

Take care,

Angie

I love the ears on Amy..........

I also love your stories...always brighten up my day....I often am reading them on break at work though, and they help get me through the drudery that my work-day can bring.

Good luck on the peeing thing.......I think you are right though, she is totally excited to see Dan, and I bet it won't be long, she will figure out if he ignores her at first she will stop the peeing.

That is just so great that she is totally smitten by all of you.......love the pic of her and Jerry....you can tell she is going..."Dad, Mom took me for a ride and now I hurt, I just want some lovin"........

Marty, I love reading your stories and little Amy is at my favorite growth stage for GSDs. I absolutely love when the have that ear thing going on..oh the left on is up ...now the right..oh the left one fell oh wait !!

P.S. Amy, you think you look cute in pink?? you just wait till you see what your mom picks out for you to wear around Christmas...you better run for the hills !!

LOL shes spoiled rotten
default_wub.png
: I Love her collar!!!

Shes darlign tehe her ears are so cute!
default_wub.png
:

Oh my gosh - Amy must be Chevy's twin sister.......

He just turned one last month......hate to say this

but don't hope for any dramatic maturing the day

you turn the page on that calendar..... Chevy is

still a PUPPY in capital letters....

Michael and I may both have to go in for knee

replacements before he outgrows this puppy stage......

But we wouldn't have it any other way.....every moment

he's awake, he's letting us know how much he loves us.

Don't you just love the stage before their tails unfurl and

their ears flip and flop?

Amy is a doll and obviously adored by you while she is

busy loving you, like crazy.

Awww!!

I love her big floppy ears! what a cutie!!

Im getting a German Shepherd this weekend....so its great to hear about yours
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back