NEVER heard of this in my life

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
This was an all day thing, involved 6 people, will try and make it short.

Made a payment to a business, they said they did not receive it. I call my bank, it has cleared my bank. On my lunch go to the bank and get the cancelled check and take it to the business.

They take the check and compare it to their deposit for that day and say, sorry we do not have this check number for that day.

HUH!

Sir, is that not your business stamp on the back of the check?

Yes

Is that not one of your employees initials next to the stamp?

Yes

Then I made the payment.

Not necessarilly he says.

HUH!

There is no proof it went through our bank.

HUH!

Sir, you received this check, that is your stamp, it cleared my bank, payment was made.

We have no record of it.

HUH!

So I leave, call my bank, they are nice enough to call the business. Still nothing. The VP of my bank said in his 21 years as a banker he has never had anyone do this.

HUH!

I call the business again. Now I am not nice. They ask me to bring down another check so I am not given a late fee.

HUH!!!!!

They say they have done all they can do, that check number is on none of their deposit slips. And no one there could of made a mistake???

It went to their bank, it cleared my bank, I PAID IT!!

So my bank calls their bank. I PAID IT!!

The business STILL will not give me credit as paying it.

I am exhausted.

They tell me they will check something else and to come in tomorrow.

Uhhhh, no, but my attorney would be happy to, give me a time.

Have you ever, ever heard anything like this? Un believeable. Maybe they are doing so good in todays economy they don't need my business.

Man oh man,,,,,,wow, that is all I have left, wow!

By the way, I manage a large store, I know what can happen.

My stamp is on there, I took the check. Customer paid.

that sounds so frustrating! I've never heard of that happening either. Maybe it would help if you got a bank statement saying that X amount left your bank and when to their bank with the date?

hope everything gets sorted out quickly for you.

I have NEVER heard of that either, and I work for an attorney. I've heard everything..... well, I thought I had heard everything!
default_smile.png
If it's a company file a complaint with the BBB and/or your state's attorney general's office. Let them know you are filing a complaint.

Good luck!

Sounds to me that they may have a problem with a employee!! I would tell them that you will let your lawyer take care of it and see if that makes a difference!!
default_wink.png

Just what you need to deal with!!
default_no.gif

I just got through a year long divorce, I got the house, he got all furnishing. So this payment was for furniture I got.

My attorney is going tomorrow, like I need to pay him more money, but dang, it's the point now!!! And tell me they are charging me a late fee?!?!

Go right a head!

Not only is he going, I am returning all furniture, and yes I can.

I'll sleep on the floor first before I give them another dime, and be happy to do it. Nothing like being responsible and somehow get the shaft anyway.

Got a spare couch on your porch?
default_smile.png

They need to contact THEIR bank. Either the check went through with a wrong number listed on their deposit, it was credited to a wrong account or it went in the deposit but was NOT listed. In the latter case they should be receiving a credit for an amount different from what they listed on their deposit.

It is their turn to look deeper. You can prove, by your bank, where it went!

Let me telll you a GOOD ONE. This, too, sounds unbelievable.

It's a money order not a check. Real Estate rental office gives notice of non-payment of rent. Tenant is military and out of town. Girlfriend is in unit. Legals proceed....notice of warrant, court date, eviction begins....military person calls as girlfriend says it's happening and that the money order issuer states the document has cleared/been paid out. I am the rental agent! We did not get the money, no error in deposits, etc. BUT---we held off eviction for the copy of the money order. When it arrived, it has certainly been paid but, to the girlfriend (who had altered the document) !! Seems boyfriend/tenant had sent money orders pre-made for rent, utilities, etc. Girlfriend needed $$
default_yes.gif

Yep ... things can happen.
default_wacko.png
At least YOU had a copy of the document!! Good girl.

Carolyn,

Have you considered the business you are dealing with is trying to pull a FAST ONE? You attorney can help with that, and if they are, I hope you SLAM them! I am SO tired of the "little folks" getting taken advantage of.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't have the patience to put up with that kind of bull....! Your canceled check IS proof of payment. Period. I'd tell them:

My check to you in the amount of _____ cleared my account on (date). Here's a copy. You need to figure out why you cannot account for cashing it, but clearly I did pay you so my part is done.
Anytime I feel like someone's trying to jerk me around, which is what this sounds like, I get firm very fast. Anyone who's not an idiot knows that if you have the canceled check, they do not have a leg to stand on. I'd be SO mad!!!

Comparing the check to the deposit for the day will not tell them if the check went into their account. It is amazing how many deposit slips are filled out incorrectly. The bank will then send a corrected deposit notice sometime within the next week.

Personally I would charge the store for my time and the cost of the lawyer to straighten out the matter.

Geez, they are really messed up.

Glad to hear you are sending the furniture back....I would do the same and warn everyone I know to not shop there. I'ld also contact the local news media and see if they are interested in the story.

Geez, they are really messed up.
Glad to hear you are sending the furniture back....I would do the same and warn everyone I know to not shop there. I'ld also contact the local news media and see if they are interested in the story.
Definitely get ahold of the local news. They always have those guys that step in for the consumer. A business does NOT want bad publicity!

Lucy

I wouldn't send the furniture back til the money was back in my account; they claim you didn't pay, but the check funds were taken out of your account. Don't return the furniture, until you receive your money back.

I am rooting for you girl! Please, please post after you get this resolved, I am curious now!

Instead of paying a lawyer...it sounds like the check might have been "stolen".... file a theft report with the police department & let them handle it. They can either explain their terrible bookkeeping skills, or perhaps it will lead to an employee that is stamping customer payments & pocketing the check amount. Either way, I bet they will be a bit more willing to talk to the police & get it settled.

Well we got it settled, kind of. We got numbers, etc. From their bank. My attorney called them. I get a call from them saying,,,we are going to go ahead and credit your account.

Made me madder, it was just the way they said it. Like I hadn't paid it but they would still credit my account, hard to explain the tone used.

I now think there is more to it and I think they know there is more to it, but they weren't telling me.

I never got an, we're sorry,,,just aggravation because I was pushing them. I asked for a call from the GM but nothing yet.

I guess now their problem, the only way to show my displeasure, the furniture is being picked up Weds.

I guess now their problem, the only way to show my displeasure, the furniture is being picked up Weds.
Problem with that is...NOW they have your money...AND the furniture too.
default_no.gif
default_unsure.png

One would think that the old adage "The customer is always right", has gone the way of the dinosaur.

You got the payment straightened out, I think I'd keep the furniture; and just spread the word about how they handle a possible problem. Who knows how long it will take them to refund you, once they get the furniture back.

I would have to agree w/Chandra. It is just such a P.I.T.Ash...for you any way you look at it. Now you have to take time to pick out new furniture...wait around to have it delivered...just sort of a snowball affect.

I would make sure I hid some horse poop way down inside the cushions before I had them pick up the furniture....bad me!!! did I say that!!

I would make sure I hid some horse poop way down inside the cushions before I had them pick up the furniture....bad me!!! did I say that!!
Sounds like a story I heard about a divorce situation (this is a short version, as I don't know what happened to the original copy of the story I got)... Couple gets divorced, man gets house, but wife wants house. Anyway, when she's moving her stuff out, she stuffs shrimp in the ends of all the curtain rods (those fancy hollow ones with finials on the ends). After a few weeks/months the house starts to stink royally; man tried everything to get rid of smell, but nothing works, decides to sell house with the smell no one will buy. Ex-wife says she'll buy it at a greatly reduced price, he agrees (she didn't go back to the house, so he thinks she doesn't know it stinks); she moves in, removes all the smelly shrimp, deodorized house and has her house back.

I'd keep the furniture and just go into their place to pay with cash from now on. That way, you get a receipt from the person who takes the money. Of course, that only works if the business is local.

Latest posts

Back