Nerves of Steel

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDogs & LittleHorses

Reaction score
Here's a very early moving picture, filmed before the great earthquake and fire.

Have a watch and imagine that you are trying to navigate YOUR horses through the chaos!
default_biggrin.png

Market Street 1906

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, what chaos.
default_new_shocked.gif
There seems to be no rules to follow at all. They just weave around anyone in their way and drivers going either way may be on either side of the street.
default_wacko.png
Good grief, it gives me a head ache just imagining the stress. Even arena driving has rules to follow.

I've seen that video.

The more experience you have on the box, the less stressful it is.
default_biggrin.png
I can honestly say that I am a WHOLE lot more comfortable behind a horse now than even a few years ago, because I have enough experience that it is somewhat "old hat". Just like the difference between when you were 16 and got your driver's license vs. now. Back then, that is how they got around, so they didn't think much of it. It just comes with what we call LSD around here, Long Slow Distance (also beneficial for conditioning your horse...)

Myrna

Why do I hear the fictional Professor Moody barking in my head? "CONSTANT VIGILANCE!!"
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

I agree with Myrna- I'd rather be facing that sort of slow steady traffic with a horse than the sort of mania we have on the freeways today. At least the horse will try their best to stop if something pops up under their nose before you can react! Cars? Not so much. Especially not at 70mph.
default_unsure.png

Thanks for the video Daryl, that was neat to watch.
default_aktion033.gif

Leia

That was fascinating.

The traffic was so slow- people standing in the middle of such a busy street- in safety! Amazing.

Did you catch the grey cantering up the road about two thirds through?

Wow, that was great. Thanks for posting.

I wondered why the carriage drivers would choose to drive with their wheels in the streetcar tracks - but maybe because it was the smoothest place to ride.

What an amazing variety of vehicles.

There was so much to look at! I need to watch that a few times to soak it all in. Very cool!

It's interesting how all the horses just take it all in stride. Can you imagine living in those times and only having horse drawn vehicles to get your family around.

Thanks Daryl not sure how you found this but its very enjoyable to watch.

Back