Neighbor killed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take care, Shari!

I always believe that the first (and easiest) line of defense is to have good locks on all doors and windows and to use them without fail -- even when anyone is just going outside. Make sure everyone carries their keys and locks the door whenever going through it. Some guys seem to think this is a slam on their protective skills, but even a human pit bull is little defense if they're asleep or in the bathroom or outside.

How's your outdoor lighting? Make certain you can see your surroundings from each window and door. If you have motion sensor lights, I would add lights that can be turned on from several points in the house.

Get the phone numbers for the neighbors you can trust and keep them handy.

If you only have one cell phone, at least get a cordless land phone with a long range and keep it with you at all times.

As for the police/sheriff...when we reported people messing around our neighbor's vacant home, we had one patrol car almost immediately and a couple came a bit later, delayed because they were in Rainier. I was VERY pleasantly surprised considering the wide area they have to cover and their nonexistent budget.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am keeping all the windows and doors locked when we are inside now but sadly... no way to lock the sliding glass back door when we are out doing chorse. And is really too much of a pain to go out the front.

My Dad wired an area so we could have outside lights, this last visit. Another thing on the to-do list. But I don't like lights on all night, so want to be able to turn them off.

My land line phone is cordless. and pretty good range but once you cross the hot wire the reception goes to pot. One reason it has been so hard to find driveway sensors... because of the needed hot wire. Have only been able to find one on the market that can be used around hot wire.

Also why I was looking into Walkie Talkies... they don't have those kinds of issues.

Police haven't been fast here. Can never get the Rainier Police to even come up here.. all I get from them is.. we know this is a problem area... if you have to shoot someone.. they will come pick up the body. And this was with the guy they know is dangerous..that used to live in this house and threaten me and my family, even stocking us. Anyway.. sure you remember all the details so will not post them here. Even with the break ins... all I got was report paperwork in the mail.. I was to fill in and send back. Wasn't impressed.

The St Helens police that were here yesterday afternoon talking to us about the Murder.. even knows the father and son that used to live here...and told us how nasty and dangerous they were.. to be careful...and said the same thing Rainier police said.

State Trooper Robin is the only one the has responded and because she is so busy..can take 24 hours. And the bad guys know this, is one of the reasons this area has soo much problems. Always wondered why we could afford this place and no one else seemed to want it. Now I know.

Love the farm but can do without all the local baggage.
default_unsure.png

Will be tuesday before I can buy any of the security stuff I need. Hate waiting even that long. So out I go with my big ugly brown hat hiding my hair,, military jacket and a 22 rifle.

Oh my! What a scarey thing to happen so close to you! Take care and I surely hope they catch them.

Fran

Just a couple of suggestions... if you are working out in the back, keep your front doors, etc.... locked. That way nobody is letting themself in while you are out back.

Got dogs? They are a good alarm and deterant. You can put up those lights outside that are motion activated. We have a couple around here and they work well and they only come on when something makes them come on. After a few minutes they go off on their own, or some of them you can make stay on permanently if you want for a while. The nice thing about them not being on all the time is not only your electric bill is less, but whatever sets them off does not know if someone got up and turned on a light because they heard them, or what.....

Do you have a handgun you can carry instead of a rifle? Rifles are cumbersome and not the greatest thing if you are in a hurry or out doing chores. On the ranch, putting one on in the morning went along with putting on your clothes and boots. It was just part of the daily attire! When I quit packing that way, I felt rather naked. Being right handed, I prefered a 'cross draw' type setup where mine was on my left side facing backwards, so you can reach across to access it, but it's not in the way of roping and doing other things. Are you required to take a safety course before you carry one? Dont know cause every state is different. Cripes, I remember here when it was legal to wear one in the local 'saloon' and you just checked it behind the bar until you left!

Any neighbors close by you can work out a 'buddy system' with? To call in case of emergency, and them call you also?

And just a word to the wise.... had the same situation when we lived on one of the ranches with a local that was not all there.. who was causing trouble. When we asked the county sheriffs about it (we only had two then who were covering a ridiculously huge area and were a good hour away from us at the time) they pretty much told us the same thing- I was told 'just make sure the body is in the house when we get here' and remember you 'feared for your life'. Unless you are being physically attacked, I dont think you are allowed to shoot someone just for being on your property- unless perhaps they start shooting at you first? There is a fine line there on what they consider self defense I guess.

In this area of Oregon.. women are allowed to shoot men if they fear physical harm "any where" on their property. Both the Local and State Troopers told me the same thing. They don't have to be in the house.. anywhere on my property I have a right to defend myself.

I like that about this area.

Have lived in areas where you are basically not allowed to defend yourself from harm, even in your house... why so many women get killed every year. Stupid laws.

The laws allow bad people to get away with killing people...and most of them just get a slap on the wrist.
default_no.gif

Sorry but if it came down to defending myself.. I would. Deal with the after math later...at least I would be alive. And not another dead woman that had no rights. This area is not busy.. know who to locals are, any one strange is supect until the murderer is found. Not taking any chances.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love your tough attitude ! That is important.
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif

On the other hand it is very scary. I know what you mean about slow police response, we have the same problem here, and not enough police for the area.

I looked for the article in our newspaper and found very little information.

We had a similar situation about a month ago that occurred just a quarter mile from here. Luckily, they finally found the guy in Portland, but it would be nice to know what this "thing" looks like so we could all keep our eyes open for them and get them caught.

They did mention that the method of death for your neighbor was "homicidal violence" and that leaves a LOT of room for speculation...was it someone he knew? How did they know each other?

Ugh...humans are such awful creatures at times.

My thoughts are with you. Please do all that you can to stay safe. I hope you also have a scanner you can listen to and keep up to date on what the police know. I have not heard a bulletin on ours about looking out for someone, but I imagine it's been brought up in the meetings.

Take care, Shari, and let us know what you hear. I do agree about the pistol. At close range, I think you'd be well off. I'm like you and a decent shot though I do not practice. I had to kill something once and I chose behind the leg/heart area simply because it was a very thick-skulled animal. It went down in two steps, but I would not like to have to use that .22 in the house and at close range. I do know where the .44 is, though I also keep them well-hidden and secured.

Liz

Shari, have the police shared any info with you that hasn't been on the news. I would think they would at least tell the people in that area how the Vernon died and if they have any suspects with a description. I wish I had a dog I knew would work for you. Problem is they are very strong and aggressive as a group not so sure about each individual dog. None of my dogs are vicious by nature. Well except for Bubba and he has been with me for at least 10yrs and I'm afraid the stress of a different home and strange people would be too much for him. Not even really vicious when I am there beside him just when I'm not, "I've heard stories from stupid people".

I agree with everyone else about the hand gun. Too many times rifles are taken away from people and you can't keep it safely on your person while working. You might set it down and then be in a more dangerous situation.

I feel so bad and scared for you. This is an awful situation you are in. We can only hope this person has moved on to another area by now and is laying low. I believe if they were to put something on the news that they have a suspect in mind and are looking for that person it would help to keep him out of your area. Maybe I am wrong though.

Shari, Please keep safe and look for the security you need tomorrow, don't put it off any longer. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that they catch this murderer soon.

Yvonne

No,, they wouldn't tell us anything...even though we asked a number of times. We did tell them about the poacher issue a couple of weeks ago, in which the poachers used a shot gun..which is highly unusual. One police officer startled a bit when we said poachers and shot gun. But at this point I am only guessing. Told them to talk to Trooper May about the poachers.

The man was a military Vet, elder, and lived alone. Police wouldn't even tell us how long he had been dead. They are being really,, really tight lipped about it.

Did talk to DH about getting a police scanner but he doesn't think it would help. Personally I don't think it would hurt.

Get to do the bills tomorrow...and see how much I have available for some to the safety stuff I need. Might even go to the animal shelters in the area.

While I am thinking about it... see if the local police or sporting good store has hand gun safety courses.

Oh great... well they must be on to SOMEthing for them to release and print that info. Law enforcement will never discuss any case with anyone- there's an old saying 'Loose lips sink ships' and they are not going to let details out and ruin a possible case. It could possibly really damage a case in court if they discussed anything.

I hope they catch whoever it is soon!!

I certainly hope this is the guy and with him all ready in custody you are no longer in danger. How sad that people have to feel so unsafe in their own homes.

Don't think they have caught them yet... since the news said..if you have seen this person of interest please call us at.........

Just hope they find him soon. Is nerve racking to be any where near something like this.

I know they can't really tell us anything......but it makes one feel so helpless.
default_sad.png

Was out riding Dyfra on the farm again today...and saw a police officer drive by...we never, ever see police up here! At least they are patroling this area...even if it is once a day..is...better than nothing.

Hi Shari,

I saw a report today online that they arrested the guy you mentioned above. Hope you can sleep a little better tonight (and hope he's the right guy, and that he's put away for a long time).

That's what I heard. He was in Jail Thursday for something else and they wee questioning him for the murder also. Just checked and he is definitely behind bars. He was arrested on 9/4/08 booked in on 9/5/08. However, do not get too comfortable yet as his bail is only $5000.00 at this time. For a mere $500.00 he can walk out of there. Hopefully they will gather more info quick enough to up his bail and charge him for the crime.

Thank you both for letting me know..haven't been watching the news. Not quite going to let my guard down yet.. could be possible who they got,,is not their guy, sadly. And like you say Marie... even if he did murder the neighbor,,they might just let him out on bail...which is a stupid in my books. Sigh ~~

But at least the police are trying to do something about this mess.

Shari, I know you probably want a security system immediately, but you might want to comapre the prices to this place:

x10

Latest posts

Back