Needing pictures of stalls in your barns

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone has such beautiful barns and stalls! :)

Mona, I just LOVE your stalls -
default_smile.png

Thank you everyone for sharing pictures of your stalls and offering the measurements and opinions!
default_biggrin.png
I am now armed and dangerous.

Kootenay-your setup is what I am trying to achieve so your pictures will be quite helpful. One question though the larger door way going outside do you have a way to close that with a door or gate?

Again "big" thank you!!
default_saludando.gif
I am so glad I found this place beacuse it is a wealth of information and there are some wonderful people here.

I don't have doors on the outside of the stalls yet, but plan on putting some up, The horses just come in and out from the pasture at their leisure.

Here are mine.....I bought 3 from a farm that was sold and the new owners didn't have minis. My husband made me 6 more to match.

They are 8X8.

stalls2.jpg

When we built our barn we tried to plan ahead if our needs should change. We have 5 8x12 stalls on on side and 4 8x8 stalls on the opposite side. I've found the 8x8 stalls too small for anyone over 31". On thing we did though was we made the wall between the last two 8x12 stalls easy to remove so if the need for a bigger stall ever arose (it never has) we could easily accomodate that situation. The walls between the two sets of 8x8 stalls are also easily removeable as well so I can easily turn them into 8x16 stalls in a matter of minutes.

There was an excellent article on this in the last MHW. I wish we had incorporated the ability to make the walls higher or lower as needed. Stallions need a little bit higher wall.

My suggestion would be as much versatility as possible.

barnbum I love your old barn! Around these parts they tear down old barns and put up new ones...figure that one out.
default_wacko.png
I'm with you. New barns are nice but the older barns are where the comforts at. For some reason I feel an older barn is more cozy (at least for me). Our barn is an old dairy barn, we have a great time building the stalls, you can't prefab anything because every piece of wood seems to need a special cut; no two stalls are the same. My heart sinks everytime I see an old barn being torn down especially the gigantic barns that show real craftmanship.

[SIZE=12pt]I tried to put together some photos of our stalls so you could see them as well. [/SIZE]

We have a total of (10) all together. We made (4) of them on the one side of the barn 12x12 and the remaining (6) on the dirt side are 10x10. We also included (3) exit doors on the dirt side along with attached paddocks. They are 4 feet in height.

Here's the video link http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee194/A...nt=67a57ba6.pbw

I know I will sound like a slumlord after hearing the size of everyone else's stalls, but I thought I would chip in with a different perspective. We added our minis stalls to an existing 2 stall barn with 12 X 12 stalls and didn't have too much flexibility. And coming from a long background with big horses and boarding barns - many with 10 X 10' stalls for warmbloods - we made our mini stalls (for our 34" and under minis) just 6 X 8'. Any bigger and they would not have fit. For foaling we have one 12 X 12 stall and can remove dividers to make stalls 12 X 8. Our minis are turned out every day because we also have a huge overhang area plus one of the 12 X 12 stalls (when not used for foaling) that they can hang out in. A few stay out 24/7. No one seems cramped at all and it works for us. I cut off the end off my manure fork to make stall cleaning easier.

Targetsmom, I have 3 stalls that are 8x6 and like you... that was the only size tha would fit in an old section of our old barn... They work great, and the horses have pleny of room.

Wow, what great barns! Thanks for sharing.

We are adding another small barn that will be a tack room plus an in & out stall for the minis. My two minis are always together and each manages to get enough food without fighting. However, after reading all the posts I'd like to extend the stall a little bit so that I can divide it if necessary. I was originally going to make the stall 10'x12' but think I will make it 10'x16' so I could divide it if necessary (they would still have their paddocks--being in Southern California they are out most of the time.)

Many of you said that you have dividers that you can add or remove in a matter of minutes. How did you construct these dividers and how do you attach them to the walls?

Thanks.

Rebecca

I know I will sound like a slumlord after hearing the size of everyone else's stalls, but I thought I would chip in with a different perspective. We added our minis stalls to an existing 2 stall barn with 12 X 12 stalls and didn't have too much flexibility. And coming from a long background with big horses and boarding barns - many with 10 X 10' stalls for warmbloods - we made our mini stalls (for our 34" and under minis) just 6 X 8'. Any bigger and they would not have fit. For foaling we have one 12 X 12 stall and can remove dividers to make stalls 12 X 8. Our minis are turned out every day because we also have a huge overhang area plus one of the 12 X 12 stalls (when not used for foaling) that they can hang out in. A few stay out 24/7. No one seems cramped at all and it works for us. I cut off the end off my manure fork to make stall cleaning easier.
My minis are pretty much only in their stalls to eat their hard feed, they share hay out in the dry lot; and my stalls are 6x8' and for the time they spend in their stalls, they seem plenty big. I do have one 8x12 shelter for a B-size stallion and he has plenty of room to move around his stall. And, I have another space that I'm going to put a couple stalls into, and they'll be roughly 8x8 or maybe a little bit bigger.

Wow, what great barns! Thanks for sharing.
We are adding another small barn that will be a tack room plus an in & out stall for the minis. My two minis are always together and each manages to get enough food without fighting. However, after reading all the posts I'd like to extend the stall a little bit so that I can divide it if necessary. I was originally going to make the stall 10'x12' but think I will make it 10'x16' so I could divide it if necessary (they would still have their paddocks--being in Southern California they are out most of the time.)

Many of you said that you have dividers that you can add or remove in a matter of minutes. How did you construct these dividers and how do you attach them to the walls?

Thanks.

Rebecca
Hey Rebecca....The last stall we added was built on the back of the pipe corral/stall I use for one of my full sized horses. I made it 10'x16' and had a divider so I could house either one or two minis. Being from So.Cal like you, I'm using the stalls for night and rain (what rain??? LOL). The size is great.

Latest posts

Back