Need you alls experiences!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelridge

Reaction score
I would like to hear all your experiences hauling pregnant mares in the last trimester. I know the rule of thumb is no hauling after 300 days. But I have seen VERY pregnant mares at auctions and sales. I know these mares were put on trailers and hauled to who knows where.

Has anyone ever had a mishap in the trailer? (mare foaling or aborting)

Was it an earlier than expected birth upon arrival to their new home?

Did you make more stops or go on to lessen time on the road?

etc, etc, etc,,

I am planning an 11 hour trip to our new home in NC with a 302 day pregnant mare. So I want to realize everything that could be ahead of me.

Thanks!

Angie

I don't like to ship very pregnant mares, but sometimes it has to be done. If you're going to do it, and eleven hours is a VERY long ride for her, I'd give her some probios paste before you leave (it helps with the stress, is non-prescription, and can be obtained over the counter at most farm supply stores in the horse section, usually by the wormers.) I'd also stop frequently, every four hours AT LEAST for a good 30 minutes to let her settle down, and relax.

I would not do it- not that far gone, she could easily go into labour on such a long journey. Is there no way you could hold off??

We close on our place in Florida on March 31st. We have to be OUT by then. So we are leaving early morning April 1st. Thats why I was going to go ahead and have hubby Dave take her and a buddy up to a friends next Tuesday the 21st. She has foaled before, on day 332 and 335, which I know I can throw out the window when it comes to mares foaling. Can't take her any earlier cause the friend will be at a show.

Thanks for your responses.

Please everyone give me an experience or thought, even if you think it is minor or even silly. :)

Angie

Mine was awful. I'll make it short.

I'm in Idaho..........bought a mare in early winter, her due date was June, she was in NY!!! Made arrangements for pickup in Feb, hauler kept stalling. Found another hauler, was going to do it sooner, truck broke down, another postponement. Mare finally picked up in late April. Truck broke down again on the way back, took about a week to get her here. I noticed while unloading she was dripping milk. Got her in a stall,

she kept dripping milk off and on. After the 4th day she foaled, a month or so early, foal in great shape and beautiful. Because of dripping milk, no colostrum, mare very nervous and kept me far away from her and baby, a good kick and bite was a warning to me in case I forgot! Baby got septicemia and died on her second day of life. :no: :no:

A lesson well learned!

Hi Angie,

The only pg mare I have ever shipped at fairly close to that far along (more like 270) was my champagne mare, Surprise. She was due in April and was shipped from Toyland in Illinois the first week in February. That was farther than you are talking. It was around 1500 miles or more I think I remember. She is not an overly calm mare but not overly nervous either. And she did fine. Her foal, my little Champagne filly Faith was born that year right around 325 days on April 9, which was very normal gestation for this mare.

Since you need to be out, I'd say just do it and stop and check on her often as was suggested and I am sure you would anyway :).

Susan O.

My friend has brought me 2 minis to foal out and waited until the last minute to bring them so I wouldn't be on foal watch too long. She brought both of them (2 different times) at noon and they foaled just after midnight so I wasn't on mare stare very long.

Joyce

I just went down to pick up Geisha, who is a 20 yr old Rowdy daughter in TX (8hrs) and she was just right under 300 days, all went hunky dory. I took the dividers out and let her have LOTS of room, if she wanted to lay down she could, hung a 1/2 bucket of water, another bucket for a little grain on breaks, hung a hay bag.

I have had a mare shipped in from CA (can't remember how many DAYS she was on the trailer) but thinking 4.........she was also right under 300 days, as she foaled in about 45 days from arriving. All was fine with her too.

I don't prefer to ship out mares whom are really close, But that said it happens, like the two above, I bought and wanted them home and the people where selling out so wanted them home too.......all was fine.

Take precautions and she will be fine. Maybe make sure you have your foaling kit with you in the truck in case something happens.

Sold three mare to Europe. One was in their second trimester and the other two were at 9 months.

All three went to quarantine and then flown over. All three had healthy, live, on time foals.

Carol

Last edited by a moderator:
2 years ago we bought a bred mare from Idaho..she shipped 260 days along and was on the road for 1 week. She aborted 1 week after she arrived here..and itwas a horrid dystocia. Never again! :no: :no:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a whole lot of it depends on the mare herself. Whether she trailers well or not, whether she's a calm mare or a nervous mare.

My mare Ruby..........I would NEVER put her on a trailer while she was pregnant. Same with Diamond as she's a nervous mare.

But my other mares, no problem.

Ellie (Karo's Mom) has been back and forth with Karo to the vet's office at least a dozen times with Karo's jaw problems. And she has to go again this week. Ellie is at 230 days today.

Ellie is a very calm mare, calmest on the place, nothing frazzles her.

So I think alot of it has to do with the mare.

Charmed has a good point. Much depends on the mare herself. BUT, the people who had a mare hauled across the country late in the pregnancy are comparing apples to oranges. Hauling a mare for 3+ days is a risk, IMO. What the original post was about -- was an eleven hour trip.

An 11 hour trip, taking it easy with stops, water and hay for her, give her plenty of space, should not be a problem. That said, I would ALWAYS carry a foaling kit, under situations like that.

People should remember.....there is always a risk in hauling a pregnant mare, no matter how far along she is. Frankly, there's even a risk in just plain HAULING.

MA

Would a buddy help her to feel more relaxed, or just stress her out worse?

I would be fine w/doing it with all of my mares as I haul them around just for the heck of it (to the beach and to shows to show baby, etc.).

They are calm and fine w/the hauling itself and so I would be relaxed about it other than stopping every couple hours to check on her and let her have a half hour break. I would also leave water and hay in the trailer (mine is big enough to leave them loose) and leave her loose, not tied.

Good luck w/what you decide.

Liz M.

Thank you all so much, I am so sorry for ya'll that have had bad experiences.

She will have a buddy, she is a good calm mare and has traveled a LOT, and she is easily consoled if she does get nervous. It is an easy drive, once we get out of FLorida. We can schedule stops so she can relax and I will make sure she has plenty of good hay and water. My trailer can be completely closed up or open windows for air flow, so I can make sure she is comfortable. And she will have a large compartment to herself. This will be her 3rd foal.

I appreciate you all taking the time to tell me your thoughts and opinions!! Please anyone add more.

And I will post and update after our arrival and when we get the computers back up.

Thanks again!!!!

I used to send each of my mares to a foaling center, back before I felt comfortable with foaling my own mares.

One mare looked like she was starting to have some changes so I drove her 3 1/2 hours to the foaling center.

I got a call the next morning....she had foaled a pinto filly during the night. We drove back and picked them up!

Angleridge,

I am fixing to make the same trip myself, from Tampa to South Carolina. I have a great friend who will be keeping my mare until she foals. I don't want to haul her she's due April 29th, starting to bag up now and I don't have fences up at the new place yet, we'll be closing on both places the first week of April. I know how you feel. I would say give her a large compartment and possibly a box stall type area so she can lay down if she pleases. Good Luck with the trip and the move.

Karen

Latest posts

Back