Need to Gripe, Complain, Vent

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandy

Reaction score
I am a little ticked off about something and need to vent to someone who knows how frustrating all the paperwork with the registries can be. I have a gelding who I registered under a name at 6 months of age. I had used the prefix for his mother also. About 18 months later, I decided to send in the paperwork to purchase the prefix. This was after I found out you could do such a thing. When I did, AMHA wrote back that I couldn't have it because it belonged to someone else. I said that I had used it twice. They told me to send in the papers and they would change the name at no cost to me. by making several calls to AMHA, I finally found a prefix that I liked and noone else had used and purchased it. So, this year when I was sending in all my paperwork I sent in this guys papers to have the prefix changed (per their instructions )and to change him to a gelding. Lo and behold, AMHA writes back they want 4 new pictures! Now this is a horse that they told me to send the papers back to change the name due to their error! They say it's been three years since he was registered. Well that is not true as he won't be 3 until May and I didn't register him until he was 4 or 6 months old. It's just the inconvenience of it all. Afterall he is a gelding. It's cold out and he is all hairy and I just hate messing with trying to get decent pictures. Seems like it should not be necessary since it was their error on allowing me to register under that name in the first place. Just wanted to vent a little.

Did you ever think that who ever reserved the name may have reserved it after you registured your horses as such?

I dont get why you wanna change the horses prefix anyway? Big deal.

Pretty much anything you do with AMHA you have to send a new set of papers.

Well Ashley, in the first place, AMHA said I had to send in the papers. The other farm had had the prefix for years not after I used it. In fact there are two farms with almost the same prefix, only a space is the difference. They said they should have caught it. Heck I would have left it alone, I was only doing what they said. However, they did not tell me to take new pictures until after I had sent everything in. He's a gelding now and was never used as a stallion so it shouldn't have made any difference anyway.

That same thing happened to me in AMHR (we didn't have any AMHA horses foaling yet). Our first couple of years having foals I sent them in another name we'd chosen. Then the next year we got the papers back saying that prefix was already registered. They didn't have the online studbook but I'd been into dogs/horses long enough to know that I should have checked before. When I called to explain I'd already used that name I found it had been registered to this other farm for years! Somehow they just missed it before but didn't say I had to return for rename.
default_wacko.png
:

So it's not just an AMHA thing but is frustrating either way!

AMHA and most other registries always want photos anytime anything is done to the papers...transfers, etc. Such a pain, I comiserate, but it has to be done. Clean him up the best you can and hopefully they'll keep his old pics on the registration. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back