Need thought and prayers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee

Reaction score
We had a horrible accident this morning with my brand new Nigerian Dwarf goats that I just got.

We introduced them to our 2 dogs last night. Both dogs were on leashes. There was lots of sniffing through the fence and then we brought the dogs into the pasture still on leashes and all went well.

There is no way that the dogs can get into the pasture from the fencing.

This morning all was fine again with the dogs and goats. Out Black lab who is gentle with all animals really didn’t show an interest (he’s best friends with our rabbit) while our Chesapeake, Milo just watched them from the fence line not bothering them at all and then wondered off up to the house.

I was filling water buckets when all the sudden Milo started running up and down the fence line. The goats took off and ran. One of the girls ran right into the page wire. Just thinking about it is making me feel sick at the sight or it. She flipped right over and was lying on her side. I dropped everything and ran over. I picked her up and ran her into the barn as her buddy (the other doe) ran right behind me. I put her into the stall, put Milo back into the house and called the vet. We are taking her in, but the vet is on call and won’t e there until 3.

At first I thought it was for sure broken, as she would put no weight on it. Uh I am just shaking right now.

She is now putting weight on it, but is lame and limping. She is now walking around, eating, drinking and wanting her pets. I put her in the smaller stall so she doesn’t have as much room to hopefully keep her less mobile. I can touch and move the leg around without her showing any signs of pain. I’m not a vet of course and I know this doesn’t mean that it isn’t broken, but the leg is bent awkward and there are no lumps or bumps.

Still I am just sick at what the vet might say. I am totally prepared to fix it, but what if it can’t. She is just such a sweet loving doe and we just got them. I feel like a horrible pet owner.

The weird thing was that our miniature donkey, Josie that was raised with goats before we got her ran over as soon as the accident happened she just stood between the fence and the doe and kept looking at her then back at Milo. As I was running with her to the barn Milo ran along the fence following us and Josie was right there not acting too happy. I have never seen Josie act like this. She is the most laid back, gentle donkey you will ever meet. She has always been fine with our dogs, but today she was just right out protecting these goats.

If anyone can help me as to what it could possible be even thought that could be a million-dollar question. I just want to be prepared if I can when I take her in.

Please send all your thoughts and prayers our way.

Kaylee

If you dont feel any lumps or bumps chances are its not broken. Most of the time you can see and feel the break. She might of just pulled something or poped something out of place.

I agree with Ashley. If you can't feel or see any bumps and she's not acting like she's in pain then I think you're good to go. I'd take her to the vet just to be sure though. Thoughts and prayers with you and the goat. Let us know what happens!

[SIZE=12pt]I have Nigi's too and they are pretty durable creatures. I agree with Tiffani and Ashely. It's probably not broken, but I would take her to the vet to make sure. Just from my experience, your dogs could still react to them in a way that is totally out of character for them until they get completely used to goats. That could be weeks or a month from now, so just keep a close watch on them when your dogs are out. Good luck with your goat and please keep us posted on her recovery! (((((HUGS)))))) to doe. Shannon[/SIZE]

Oh, gosh! When I read about you carrying her back to the stall and her friend following, that got me crying! I hope she will be okay!!! We also have some Nigerian Dwarf Goats and know what sweet pets they are!

Sigh of relief!

Well we took Molly to the vet and all went well! The vet figured she just strained her leg. She was a bit stiff getting out f the car, but as she kept walking it got much better, much stronger then earlier where she wold put no weight on it.

She does however have a concussion. She should be just fine we have to keep her quite and warm tonight and check on her lots. The vet figures she got the concussion not when she hit the fence (her poor legs took most of the impact) but when she flipped over on her back to get away from the fence. I guess goats are quite like horses in that since.

So we are just taking it quite tonight.

I did take the dog out on a leash while Muffin was out. (Molly the injured one, Muffin is her buddy) I walked him around the pasture while Muffin followed ways back watching Milo very carefully. She would even stomp her feet at him when we stopped. Milo did very well and was even a bit timid of her, but I still don't trust him off his leash. I think he is fine with the goats until they start to run and that is when he gets going. He use to chase cars when we got him. We worked with him for about a month and he no longer chases them. He must think he is a boarder collie or something
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Thanks so much for all your prayers and thoughtful words!

Dee

I'm so glad to hear that all went well at the vet visit. That sure was a frightening experience for all....but glad it turned out for the best!

Phew! I am happy she didn't break anything and looks like she will recover well
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
:

I'm glad your baby is going to be ok.

We used to have a dog like that, when we had our minis. She found a new home not long after I sold the minis. She was fine with them as long as they were walking around. As soon as they'd start running and playing, her need to chase them kicked in. She got loose once and I thought she was going to run my gelding into the fence before I could catch her. That's when I knew that I had to find her a home with no farm animals.

Hopefully Milo will start to behave for you. I hate to see a dog tied or penned up, but sometimes it's what's best for everyone involved.

Steph

Just a little update:

Molly is doing just fine as if nothing happened. I kept her in the barn until the afternoon and she quite liked being pampered. Around noon I let her out to move the leg around. She wanted to stay in the barn at first (she' a bit spoiled) but once she got out her and Muffin played Princess' of the hill and found some yummy branches to munch on. So whew
default_smile.png
All is good.

Milo has been doing well. Walked him around the horse pen today while muffin was out.

We decided for his safety (the donkey) that he is no longer allowed in the horse pens.

I don't think he will be to happy about that since he is a poop eater :eek: !!

Still don’t trust him off his leash though if those girls start to run again. Molly is definitely the sacred one. Muffins just right out stomps, snorts and does little charges at him.

I really don’t think we will have a problem though. He is a very sensitive and loyal dog that would do anything to please our family. He was horrible for chasing cars when we got him (his owners never spent time with him because he is a “farm dogâ€) and with time he got the idea.

I also am planning on working with Molly once she has some rest. Was planning on putting Milo on his leash and Molly in her harness with a fence in-between so she can get use to him and maybe not run. What do you guys think?

Thanks for all your thoughtful words.

Dee

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back