Need suggestions - helping someone sell their herd

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trish

Reaction score
I've been helping this man for several months now getting his paperwork current, grooming his horses, etc. He wants me to take charge in posting and selling his herd as he has no time to do any of it. We still need to get two mares registered as parent qualified. Plus one little mare he bought her back in 2005 and she was 4 months old. The seller nor the man measured her on the day of the sale, so her paperwork is pending the measurement of a 4 month old back in 2005. I emailed the seller and was told she sells 20 - 40 a year and didn't know what the mare measured back in 2005. How would you calculate what she might have measured?? She currently measures 30" as a 7 yr old.

Also, how do I protect myself in this?

Thanks, Trish

I helped someone a couple of years ago sell a herd. The paperwork was a mess. Another horse owner volunteered to do the sale listings while I worked on getting the papers in order. She took a mare of her choice for her "pay"; she also boarded the horses.

Keep good records of everything! Get a spiral notebook, or binder with folders and keep records of conversations, phone numbers, individuals, dates, and copies of payments.

Does the 2005 mare that was bought as a weanling have papers already? If so just send in a late transfer with the current height. If she needs to be registered then send in her current height with the fees for a sr mare. If she is AMHA, she will have to be PQ first to register her. They will need current photos either way, just make sure you have the appropriate ones for each registry.

The 2005 mare was already registered, but he bought her at an auction. The seller has filled out everything but the little mare's height at the time of the sale. That is the only hold up on transferring her papers into his name. Just a real big mess.

On another note. AMHA had mailed him the papers for another mare on May 24th, and he can't find them, so we will have to send in for a duplicate.

I have a big heart when it comes to helping people and animals, but this is so frustrating.

After emailing back and forth with AMHA, they are going to finish up the mares paperwork and get it in the mail.
default_thumbup.gif
I will do my best to help him finish up getting the paperwork done, then I am bowing out.
default_giveup.gif
I am worn out with trying to get him to follow up with the farrier, etc. He needs to be responsible for his horses.
default_frusty.gif

After emailing back and forth with AMHA, they are going to finish up the mares paperwork and get it in the mail.
default_thumbup.gif
I will do my best to help him finish up getting the paperwork done, then I am bowing out.
default_giveup.gif
I am worn out with trying to get him to follow up with the farrier, etc. He needs to be responsible for his horses.
default_frusty.gif
That is why we took the horses and boarded them. The person we were helping couldn't take care of them properly. At least she KNEW she couldn't and was glad of help. It is always a mess to get in such a situation. At least you are helping!

Wow, yah, not sure I'd be doing what you;re doing for this man. I like paperwork, but it can be very daunting when dealing with both registries, DNA, pictures, transfers, temporary to permanant. It just goes on and on. Bless you for trying.

Just realized that was not very helpful was it. I have a little foal here , his cannon bone indicates he'll be about 31 inches tall when he's done growing, he's 4 months old right now and is ~24 inches tall. Hope that might help you a little.

I had a good conversation with the man on Friday. He said to me he appreciated all that I have done to help him.
default_whistling.gif
I told him I was not going to be able to help post his horses for sale on the sale board because the horses were in his name and I did not have a license to be a listing agent.
default_giveup.gif
He took it well. He will get his daughter in law help him post them on the sale board.

I will help type up the information and continue to help get his paperwork in order, then give it all to him.

It is like the world has been lifted off my shoulders.

Good intentions sometimes backfire and I was afraid it would. Thanks for all the support.
default_yes.gif

I agree- I've had personal experience with purchasing a horse from someone who was selling for someone else- that turned out to be an ugly situation. I also know someone else in a pickle because of this and neither the seller or the actual listed owner wants to take any resposibility for a misrepresented horse.

I think just getting all the paperwork in order is a huge step and you ARE really helping this guy out by doing that. He probably just feels overwhelmed and I am sure he does truly appreciate it. You are very kind to do all that.

Latest posts

Back