Need solution for spilled water buckets!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fowlersminis

Reaction score
Anyone have any brilliant ideas (the cheaper the better) for keeping the water buckets from spilling everywhere when they use them for their personal butt scratching post ???!!!
default_frusty.gif

I recently had one of mine colic and just constantly worry about them not getting enough water. They do have a second bucket (which is heated) that they don't use for a scratching post...but they also don't drink out if it as much as the other one. Go figure...they must not like the color of that bucket
default_doh.gif

Thanks in advance!

Hmmm. Maybe build a wooden frame or box type of thing around the water bucket? Thats the first thing that popped into my mind. I'm sure somone else will think of something.

All of our buckets sit on a wooden shelf and are clipped to a ring. Haven't had any issues, but then again I don't know if they use them for butt scratching either.
default_smile.png

My mare likes to sling her bucket around.......my solution was to put her bucket in a milk crate, and then use a bungee cord to hold the bucket and crate to the rail. I'll have to get a pic of it, better than me 'splainin' it!

i have that problem too, i was thinking of two tyres on top of each other?

good luck!

I solved that problem with a bucket holder. It is a flat metal round holder that the bucket sits in. It screws to the wall and they can rub all they want, it is not going anywhere. I think I got this at either Valley Vet or Country Vet, catalog on line.

You might also want to wrap some electrical tape around the ends of the handle where it hooks to the bucket to keep it from catching on their tails and causing it to spill and damage the tail.

Hope this helps.

I was at a barn that all their water buckets are in a milk crate, which is attached to the wall. They have 20 stalls or so and all of them are like this. I asked why they didnt just attach them normally to the wall and it was because horses were spilling them. They didnt even have to bungee the buckets in or anything. The horses left them alone and it made grabbing buckets to dump and refill alot easier because there was no dealing with any snaps. They crates/buckets were kept at a little above chest level. Seemed to work pretty well for them!

Jen

Jen - Love that idea - maybe I can talk hubby into switching all mine over to milk crates - (he's gonna kill me LOL)

We put our water buckets in tires for the dogs and they cant pull them out

for the minis we have lots of old mineral tubs they cant pull those over

the tire thing works great

if you get the right size of tire of course 14 inch is what we use

that and of course its cheaper than milk crates unless you do "midnite shoppin" lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, everyone! Great ideas! I didn't ever think about the milk crate idea...and I'm sure I have one laying around somewhere I can use. Thanks again
default_smile.png

I place my buckets on the ground (I use the 5 gallon one) then use a double ended clip and clip to a screw eye. Never had a problem.

Back