Need opinion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee

Reaction score
Can any pros out there give me some help if I email them pics of my pregnant mares vulva and let me know if she looks loose.

I can post pics on here to if it's easier. Just didn't know if there were any kids on here if it might not be appropriate.

Thanks
default_smile.png

Im here as my mare refuses to foal. I think its fine to post as it is a horse forum but if you feel better my email is [email protected]

Thanks! I just sent them! The pics are on my phone so easier to email them upload them and post

Thanks! I just sent them! The pics are on my phone so easier to email them upload them and post

For what it's worth, I've had mares look long, loose and puffy behind for several weeks before they foal and other mares that don't seem to change at all. The udder tells the best story for me as to how close the mares are to foaling. Good luck with your mare!

Oh can you post them. I have heard this is one of the signs but really what is long loose suppose to look like. I think they look that way in general
default_smile.png
I have some and would like thoughts too. I know its one of these signs that basically says...Yes theres a foal in there and it will come out sometime in the near future ;) lol
default_laugh.png

I took them with my phone so not the greatest shots, but here you go.

Thanks everyone!!

photo-10.jpg

photo-9.jpg

photo-8.jpg

photo-7.jpg

She does appear very relaxed and loose. Then again, I am used to full sized horses before they foal, and as mentioned above, I have had mares look like that and foal a week later and I have had mares never look loose and soft until just before they foal. I also, have never had a mare whose croup falls away like you sometimes see in pictures. I am currently on mini mare foal patrol too and am looking at the inside of the vulva for the dark almost raspberry color that is so talked about. I figure it does not hurt. I did shave my mare's belly and flank region like was suggested and it sure makes sense to me. I have never had a mini mare foal and all the shedding hair is driving me nuts. I also shaved her chest and up her neck a bit too just in case foal goes hunting for milk there and to keep momma a bit more cool.

Now *that* is relaxed and loose! I'd be watching her like a hawk! I do agree with those who have said that sometimes mares just don't look very relaxed in the vulva before foaling so you can't rely on just that; it's all the signs together (if they give them!) that helps determine when they'll foal. Good luck, I hope she doesn't keep you waiting long!

What can I wash her vulva and udders with? I've been using just warm water. I have bennadine if that works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dee thanks for posting the photos, my girls arent that relaxed yet but my mare that had her filly never looked like that either so don't know what to look for
default_sad.png
keep us posted good luck

Hi Dee can't help you much some of the mares here are a lot more stretched then what you posted and others are only half that and still manage to foal so it's one sign along with others..myself l keep them clean with warm slightly soapy water then rinse and dry..sure hope she goes soon for you like tomorrow during the day it's going to be just perfect weather wise for a new baby to love on..
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

Thanks relic! It's beautiful here today also...well for Alberta lol I just got back from Dominican on Friday so I'm slowly getting use to this weather again
default_smile.png

I washed her up and she still looks the same and continues to still bag up
default_smile.png
wait and see I guess lol

We are so lucky she is just a happy go lucky mare! Those kicks from her tummy look so uncomfortable, but she doesn't seem to mind and just is a happy camper! Her 18th birthday is on the 16th of April!! Last baby for her!

Looks like she's reasonably close
default_smile.png
You don't need to wash her, but if you wish to betadine with lots of rinse water is fine. Ivory soap is great too (preferred)

Latest posts

Back