Need ideas for stall designs!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misty'smom

Reaction score
We are in the process of building our barn for our new mini. We have a contractor building it and next week we are going to talk about the inside. I have an idea from owning horses in the past but would like some new stall ideas especially for the minis. If anyone could post pictures I would love to see your stalls and inside you barns!! This pic is only day one, we now have walls,windows and a roof!!

IMG_2584.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I used 8' mini panels between the stalls, with 2 x 8 sheets of plywood on the bottom. It keeps them separated, but allows for great air flow and they can see each other without being able to get to each other. Then I used the gate panels for the fronts. Love them!!

My stalls are 10 X 10 square. Its a using barn which they use a lot so I would not go any smaller. They do have removable walls by way of a U channel for foaling. The walls are less than 3'high and the doors are only about 2 1/2' tall. I want everyone to be able to see each other easily without a struggle. Its USB board and has lasted forever. So far so good. Here's a pic of the inside set up:

Feedersinstalls-2.jpg
StallfrontMarch-2.jpg

What are the dimensions of your barn? Keep in mind whatever you do make it so that you are not limitede to just Mini owners.Had friends who built a nice barn but wouldn't take suggestions.They put in permanent stalls 8 x 8 and had a very narrow aisle.When they no longer had Minis and tried to sell the farm potential big horse buyers were turned off by the barn.Took them a long time to sell the property.You never know what life has in store so plan just in case.Have fun and enjoy your new barn.

We bought our property as much for the cedar barn as for the house.

It was a huge old cavern the builder had used for a shop.

It was an open canvas, as there was nothing in it, we just had to work with the dimensions and interior posts.

We live in the Pacific NW, generally pretty moderate weather. Once in awhile, when there are what we consider

extremes of winter weather, we keep them inside the barn so they don't slip or fall on ice or snow.

The stalls are 10x12, so they have lots of moving around room should they be kept in for an extended time.

They are stalled at night and out to pastures during the day, otherwise.

Floors are concrete and topped with 3/4" mats.

All the stalls are bolted or screwed together. No nails were used in the construction so that should the day come

someone wanted to use the barn for another application or the stalls can be easily taken down or changed easily in

size for an owner with different horse needs.

We stacked tongue and groove boards, inside of 1.5" x 1.5" S/S channel for the stall walls, and they are mini height.

They can see and converse with each other but if someone felt grumpy they couldn't get over a wall.

Easily, a board could be removed or another board added should you need a taller separation for someone for privacy/foaling, whatever.

Tops of the boards have stainless steel chew rails...the front face wall has a wide Trex board/can't be chewed. I like the width because I

can set things on it, like brushes and show sheen, fly spray etc, when I'm in a bedroom with one of them.

Doors have a small semi circle cut so they can see out and over the doors.

Before putting the permanent faces on the stalls conduit was run inbetween the walls with a GFI plug for heated water buckets or clipping

in a stall.

I boarded my horses for 30 years before we came here 5 years ago. It was fun to incorporate all the better ideas I'd seen over the years.

It's worked perfectly for us, although still is a work in progress as when it's totally finished the interior will look like an old

Western town.

Somedays that seems far away as that is the frosting on the cake and there always seems so much to do, for daily

maintenance that the extras are slow in coming LOL

Thought I had more photos but think they are on a camera card - This will give you an idea though.

The barn

housebarnfromdrive.jpg

Framing going up

SV300420.jpg

Stall walls

Stallwalls.jpg

What are the dimensions of your barn? Keep in mind whatever you do make it so that you are not limitede to just Mini owners.Had friends who built a nice barn but wouldn't take suggestions.They put in permanent stalls 8 x 8 and had a very narrow aisle.When they no longer had Minis and tried to sell the farm potential big horse buyers were turned off by the barn.Took them a long time to sell the property.You never know what life has in store so plan just in case.Have fun and enjoy your new barn.
I'll agree with this. My father owns the land I keep my horses at and part of using that land includes putting in things that aren't mini specific. Fences, stables, wash bays anything has to be useable for big horses as well. If we ever have to sell, bring in boarders or even swap breed everything will work just as well as it does now. And the minis love the extra space
default_wink.png

Setting up a stall to suit both means my walls are big horse size but I use mesh doors so they can see out.

I have seen where everything except the doors have been basically full sized. Then they have a short (Miniature) Sized door on. That way there they arent limiting themselves to miniatures and depreciating the value by making it so that if they had to sell or relocate in the future that their property value has increased not decreased.

I know several places here locally that are being sold as "HORSE" Ready when you get there to look at them I MIGHT be able to put a mini in the stall. But theres no way my paint or quarter horse would ever fit inside.

I would personally build it so that it would be comfortable for a big horse but make it so that the walls can be lowered if need be and have two door sizes. So that then if I needed to sell or take in a boarder or a horse in need I would be able too with minimal cost.

Wow thank you for all the great advice everyone. We will have dutch style doors into the stall and barn itself, they will be standard size. Stalls will be 10x10 with hay racks that will be placed lower for Misty. What would be a good height for the stall door to be built so when she is full-grown she can look over the top?? Also what type of feeders do you all use to put their grain in?? And our flooring is going to be the crushed stone/stone dust but should I use a mat on top of that or just the saw dust?? Sorry lots of questions!! Having horses growing up I didn't have to think about building a barn it was already there and all the logistics my Dad took care of!
default_smile.png
I still would LOVE to see some pictures of the different style barns you all have especially the insides, this is the fun part planning how to set up my barn and any ideas help a lot!!!!!!!!

By the way....Marty and Nancy your barns are BEAUTIFUL!!! Thanks for the photos!!

Latest posts

Back