need idea suggestions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kira98

Reaction score
Okay I know its just the end of July but Ive got to start thinking about Christmas time already!

Im looking for some ideas on what I can make that is handmade as a gift ....... My inlaws each year we do

something so that each person gets one gift and we do a dirty santa exchange type thing so that we dont have

to spend a small fortune to get a gift for every one ( did that last year and boy im still paying off the cc ! )

the first year we did an ornimant exchange that was fun and there were tons of cool ornimants

I suggested it last year last year for my own side of the family and it was a huge hit !

this year we all agreed that what we do is that each person make something by hand

NOTHING STORE BOUGHT !

so here we go I need help deciding what i want to do ! im not a super crafty person

I thought about a quilt but i dont know how to make one - i have a sewing machine and i could bring that with me in the

truck to do it while im on stand by ( like i am right now just glad i got my laptop with me tonight ! ive been here in the same spot since 11am wont be leaving prob til tomorrow am around 9ish - good ol oil field but hey im making what i call the easy money ! gettin paid a nice amount for sitting here!)

any quilters that might can share how to make a simply square quilt would be good most appreciated.

but i need to know what some kinda easy things that wouldnt cost a fortune to buy supplies for that I could make

im up for any suggestions ! I just need to get started right now so that i can get it done in my spare home time after dark and im done messing with my mini babies

Thanks for your thoughts in advance !

How about some kind of personalized picture frames? Can you buy cheap little frames and then glue neat stuff on them to make them "home made"?

Quilted pot holders?

What price range are you looking to go up to? I know you said you don;t want to spend a fortune, but your fortune and someone else's fortune may be two different things.
default_wink.png
$20? $30? $50?

oh i guess that might be a good point Mona - maybe no more than $40 for supplies unless i can find things for free LOL

REO - how would i make a quilted pot holder - pm me or email me i mite could do that good idea that dont take to much material

and if i do that i can make me a spare set since i like to catch mine on fire lol

the pic frames would be cool too i could go to hobby lobby and see what they have.

keep the ideas coming i want to start on my project after im done showing my colt the first of october or mabye sooner if i start a quilt

Thanks Kira...that helps!
default_smile.png

A couple of suggestions I have, would be a quilted photo album or a nice warm polar fleece snuggle blanket.

I used to make loads of these albums to sell in craft sales...they sold well, and can be made for any occassion or "just because". There is always a fabris for just the right occassion or a person's favorite color, or hobby, such as cats, horses or dogs etc. I have made them for weddings, 25th and 50th Wedding Anniversaries, new babies, graduation, birthdays, Valentines Day, Christmas, even a hunting one for a man. Darned near anything goes! The sky's the limit, and I almost always put a "frame" on the front cover to put a special photo. For all my grandsons, I also cross stitched a personalized baby bottle that included their name, birthdate and weight. You can really have fun with designing these. I have several photos that I can scan and share if need be.

As for the polar fleece blanket, I received one and a matching pillow as my LB Secret Santa gift a couple years back, and I use it all the time. I just LOVE it, and it always washed up so niceley!! That is one of my favorites, for sure!!! It is two pieces of polar fleece back to back and tied together forming the fringed edge. Mine has horses of course!
default_wub.png

http://www.google.com/search?q=instruction...;rlz=1I7GGIE_en

Last edited by a moderator:
Mona,

hey thanks ! some pics would be great on that photo album - they could all use that ! i could make one that has some deer or fish on it we have a few hunters or I could do some with anything really that would work ah yeah send some photos

Reo - still need some instructions on that potholder or heck maybe i can make a visit down to your place to see the babies and we can talk ideas there too ! just another reason to come visit.

ah and something that my hubby can make to - well i can make that is from my hubby lol - he hates that we do this cause he likes to buy christmas gifts for everybody but gesh i cant afford that anymore ! LOL

Well yeah! I been telling you! You need to come see the babies!
default_laugh.png

OK, I have to take off, but will be back later this afternoon and will get them posted sometime after I get back home.

Oh I just love these kind of threads! I love hand crafted gifts for Christmas and our family has decided that is the way to go pretty much. Mona beat me to it -- and I have to say those fleece blankets are awesome!! My sister gave one to hubby last Christmas, it is wolf themed and guess who ended up adopting it? (Me!
default_laugh.png
) It was so cool because all the kids helped with it and it was a joint effort and something they were all proud of. I have also seen the fleece pillow cases at craft fairs as well. And for the animal lover there are doggie and cat pillow pads. Neat thing about them is the fleece comes in so many designs and colors.

And for ornaments, there are so many neat ones you can do with pine cones. Google pine cone crafts and see!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, here are the pics of some of the first albums I made. I wish I could find the pics of beautiful personalized lace and cross stitched wedding one I did for for the son/daughter-in-law of close friends of ours...it was gorgeous! I also never took any pics of any of my own grandchildren's albums...just the first couple I did for others. As you can see from the pics, you can make them however you like...some done in lace, some in a satin type fabric, some cotton, some cordouroy, some "faux suede" etc.

album1.jpg

album2.jpg

album3.jpg

album4.jpg

album5.jpg

album6.jpg

album7.jpg

album8.jpg

album9.jpg

I am also adding these 2 pics of the one I made for myself for my horse registration papers. This album has been used A LOT over the years I have been in horses, and is still hanging in there quite well. I guess maybe I should have fluffed/straightened the frilly edges up better before taking the pics but was in a hurry and never thought of it beforehand.

albummine.jpg

albummine2.jpg

I do stitcheries a lot. You can buy a pattern around $5. Then you just buy a hoop, floss (that's like .10 a peice and lasts forever). Then you trace the pattern onto muslin or any fabric, put the traced fabric in the hoop and stitch away. You can do one in a day easy. Then you can sew them into pillows, frame them, put a few into a blanket or whatever (some of the popular things are tacking them with little nails to a painted/sanded board and hang it with ribbon). This is a faily cheap craft and easy to take along with you and pull out to do. PM me and I can give you a bunch of craft sites that has patterns.

My sister makes dolls too. Just sew and follow the patterns. They are pretty cute. Her website is http://www.dennidoodles.com. She sells patterns for all her dolls. They come with instructions. Crafty is the theme now. So even adults like these.
default_smile.png

a few years back someone here suggested a memory jar. My kids did that for their grandpa and it was so much fun to do.

They each got a jar and decorated it then they went thru and put some of their favorite pictures of them and grandpa- they had different colored paper and pens and wrote down some of their favorite memories they shared and folded them up and put them in the jar.

They can still add to the jar and it was great when he opened it for them all to go over the different memories and bring back all the laughter and it was interesting to see what was truly important to them things they remembered when they were very young I can tell you none of them were material things.

Whole thing cost less then 5 bucks...and really proved to be priceless

Latest posts

Back