Need honest opinons, Please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniforFaith

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just wondering if I should take this on. I have not seen the horse yet, but my husband plows for a church. And an ederly couple have a stallion, who has been by himself for not sure how long. They are in there late 70's and early 80's and the outside care for him in the winter is to much for them. I've been told he is a very well mannered little guy. I have already called the vet for a quote on gelding him $120- 180, does that sound normal or high? He just left to go talk to them.. I will be going to see him as soon as I can. I have 2 mares and a gelding.. I know the basics to keep seperated and geld.. Just wondering if this is a good idea.. To me, as long as there aren't behavior issues(I am to new of a horse owner, to handle the real bad ones) And as long as there aren't any behavior issues with kids, I am really liking the thought.. But, convincing hubby, well I might need help with ideas from you guys..I am excited, but kinda nervous, I guess only because I haven't seen him yet.. I just feel bad for the couple, and for him being by himself.. So, should I go for it and just deal with hubby later, as long as it isn't to much of a challange(if he has bad stallion behaviors)..??
default_wub.png

edited to add, these little ones sure are addictive

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were me I would be personally going to get this guy in a heartbeat
default_biggrin.png
and yes that price for gelding is not out of the range.

The price for gelding sounds about right. I paid $120 for mine plus farm call fee and for some antibiotics... so a total of $155.

My only caution is that with him still being a stud and having been alone he may be a little overwhelmed coming into a new situation with new horses. Until he is gelded and settled in he may be a little unruly even if he is normally a very good boy. So I'd get that gelding done ASAP.

But that said... I would only do it if my husband was for it too. My ex always used to say "It's better ask forgiveness than to ask permission." Or, when he was not being so diplomatic about it he phrased it, "I'll have this thing for a long time and you will only be mad for a little while, so in the long run it is worth more to me to just get what I want." Please note that he is my ex. *wink* BUT I would do everything in my power to talk him into it, lol.

The price for gelding sounds about right. I paid $120 for mine plus farm call fee and for some antibiotics... so a total of $155.

My only caution is that with him still being a stud and having been alone he may be a little overwhelmed coming into a new situation with new horses. Until he is gelded and settled in he may be a little unruly even if he is normally a very good boy. So I'd get that gelding done ASAP.

But that said... I would only do it if my husband was for it too. My ex always used to say "It's better ask forgiveness than to ask permission." Or, when he was not being so diplomatic about it he phrased it, "I'll have this thing for a long time and you will only be mad for a little while, so in the long run it is worth more to me to just get what I want." Please note that he is my ex. *wink* BUT I would do everything in my power to talk him into it, lol.
Okay, help me get a list a mile long why i should, before he comes home...
default_whistling.gif
default_ohnoes.jpg
default_please.gif

Okay, help me get a list a mile long why i should, before he comes home...
default_whistling.gif
default_ohnoes.jpg
default_please.gif
Well, getting to go with you to go look at the little guy is a good start. Plus, you know, it would REALLY help these people out to know he is going to a good home that will love him. And, you know, it isn't that much trouble to take care of JUST one more. Plus you have two mares and one gelding, so this will give the gelding another boy to hang out with and talk about sports with.
default_wink.png

I hope that you can help this horse but I have to say I'm a little nervous for you handling a stallion if you are a newer horse owner. I took on a similar project and OH MY he was a handful trying to get to my girls. Broke through fences, took one off hinges, etc, all to try to get to the girls. Not sure how quickly you can get him gelded but do take the "in the meantime" into consideration and also be aware those hormones don't disappear right away.

My little Charlie fits in well with the herd now, though he can be a little s*** to everyone else at feeding time, and on occasion tries to keep horses out of the shelter (that can be true of any horse, though). We manage that with stalling if needed and we have more than 1 shelter available.

I am lucky and gelding in my area is under $100 (Iowa). Ooh - random thought - while he's "under" have them take a look at his teeth to see what kind of shape they are in.

Good luck!

We got Shadow as a very mild acting stallion, had him gelded 3 days later..had the others seperated for a month.

But we knew him, had been around him, even driven him..so we were ahead in that way..since you have two mares he might act a little flirty for a while but with time should settle down nicely and he'll have a much better social life then.

If you have the energy and ambition to do this, and facilities, then do it.

Maxine

The vet said that they would be able to as soon as i am ready.. Since I have an enclosed barn.. Just talked to hubby, told him I was going to go to see as soon as I get the call.. He said, no wait for me, I want to go to..
default_worshippy.gif
default_whistling.gif
default_ohnoes.jpg
Maybe he really does love my horses, too.. His only coment was, We need some more fencing so I can seperate him.. Maybe, just maybe??
default_new_shocked.gif
He did say he thinks he is a palomino....
default_drool5.gif

How exciting! Do it! Yes, he will need to be seperated for a while. While he is healing from his gelding he can get aquainted with your other ones for a few weeks before going in with them.

Send pics WHEN he gets home!! LOL

Yep, the proverbial potato chips...
default_biggrin.png

The Minis are addicting and this is very tempting for you I'm sure. However, as indicated earlier,

he may not be near as docile in new surroundings and be a bit of a spitfire. Also, particularily if he

is older, he may or may not lose his stallion tendencies. So please take this all into consideration.

Best of luck with your decision
default_wink.png

Carol

I would definitely take him, geld him...some reasons for taking him would be

1) your helping this elderly man and woman out, who I am sure love this fellow but because of there age just cant do it anymore. That alone is heart breaking.

2)This elderly couple can still see him, ( I am taking it they live nearby?) that would help the elderly couple deal a little bit better with having to part with him.

3)If you have the room and the means to keep anther one...why not??We have all heard the expression they are like potato chips.

4)PLAIN AND SIMPLE~ YOU WANT HIM
default_biggrin.png

Gelding in our area runs about $125.00 plus a farm call. You will have to give him time to adjust, but after that I dont see any problems. If he is well mannered, and you are "somewhat" experienced with handling a mini , you should be able to handle him as well. One of my stallions is so gentle my 3 yr old grandson can walk him right pass mares,
default_wub.png
the most he will do is whinny, and all I have to do is say "no talk" and hes perfect....but them I have another one, who is a handful. :DOH! go..and check him out, and let us know your new good news
default_biggrin.png
default_unsure.png

Your gelding prices are very reasonable. Here it costs $300 up. I would get this little guy because if you take him and then he does prove too much for you. When you place him in another home he is already gelded and is started in the right direction for a new family.

The vet said that they would be able to as soon as i am ready.. Since I have an enclosed barn.. Just talked to hubby, told him I was going to go to see as soon as I get the call.. He said, no wait for me, I want to go to..
default_worshippy.gif
default_whistling.gif
default_ohnoes.jpg
Maybe he really does love my horses, too.. His only coment was, We need some more fencing so I can seperate him.. Maybe, just maybe??
default_new_shocked.gif
He did say he thinks he is a palomino....
default_drool5.gif
Sounds like you won;t have to work so hard to convince him after all, hehehe.

Just got off the phone with the owner... He is 6 yrs old, and very well mannered.. Loves attention and has no bad habbits. She bought him from a mini breader locally.. He is reg.. I think she said Redrock is in his reg. name. He isn't a palomino, a chestnut..He is very cared for by the way she sounds, and they just want to get him to someone who will do the same.. She is asking a little amount for him, because they did pay more for him, as being a reg. stallion..I told her he would be gelded, and she said they have been wanting to do it, but just didn't, in case someone who was going to buy him, wanted to breed him.. As soon as we can, we are going to see him.. Yes she is only about 10 miles away, an remembers me from when I worked at the bank, and knows the inlaws.. She said she really wants him to come home with me..
default_wub.png

I'd be hooking up the trailer and going to get him.
default_biggrin.png

He'll make a great gelding and if an older couple can handle him well I think you can too then! Go get him girl!!! Dont forget to post pics.
default_biggrin.png

How very excellent.. maybe he will be a nice driving prospect for you? Give him a job too and he will be happier!!

Aren't you loaded up yet??
default_rolleyes.gif

How very excellent.. maybe he will be a nice driving prospect for you? Give him a job too and he will be happier!!

Aren't you loaded up yet??
default_rolleyes.gif
Hubby's orders, I have to wait for him to come home
default_ohnoes.jpg
He said he might not be home until after 7:30 tonight
default_wacko.png
Of all days, why today does he have to have overtime???(Good, help pay for the gelding
default_risa_suelos.gif

forgot to add, I placed a call I can have fencing today... My three are in a dry lot all together..I am excited, but i don't want any babies.. Not that I don't want one, I would love to have a foal and raise it. My own baby.. It would be with me forever.. But all of the foaling horror stories have the bejesus scared out of me..

Last edited by a moderator:
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
He may exhibit very mild stallion behaviour but don't forget because of the time of year and where you are your mares are not in heat or soon coming into heat either, so that's a bonus. Get your husband to handle him if he is in sight of the "girls" just to see his reaction to them. I have one stallion that use to be a handful but now he behaves, he has no choice. My other will dance and prance and call when he sees the girls but I just have to say in a very loud and I mean loud voice, "ENOUGH" and he knows to act like a gentleman. You will be fine for the short time that he remains a stallion.

You have to wait till much later today
default_new_shocked.gif
? I would be like you, going crazy waiting,
default_yes.gif

Keep us updated please and PICS, lots of pics!!!

Latest posts

Back