Need help with color and name...TEST RESULTS ARE IN! - pg7

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My continued thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions! Matt, no, this is my second foal of the year. I had a red dun colt born 3 hours before this filly. It was a long night! LOL! And no, I did not make any announcements.

TaylorMarie, no, she is not a Champagne, as one parent must be Champagne in order for the foal to be, and neither parent is.

I guess I'll know for sure by the end of next week, as I sent off a hair sample today for testing...I am really anxious to find out for sure exactly what color she is!! I REALLY wanted a perlino, but I am thinking she isn't. Hope I am wrong! When she was first born, and I was toweling her dry, the first thing I thought was silver buckskin, and then realized that was not possible since neither parent is silver, so I looked at her skin and saw it was PINK and realized I had a DD and from then on, suspected it was smokey cream.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with Riverdance. I hope you have her tested and let us know the results.
default_smile.png

Joanne, I am having her tested...I sent the hair off yesterday, but no, I am not having her tested for cream, since i KNOW she is a DD. I am having her tested for red and agouti only so I know if she is a smokey cream or a perlino.

Here are some updated photos I just took minutes ago, of this filly. For those that were doubting she is a DD and that her skin would darken and she is a buckskin, you can clearly see her blue eyes and see her skin is pink to stay. Can you now see why I say she is a DD of some color?? Can you see what I am seeing to make me think that way? I left them larger to help ensure you can see the detail etc.

eyesandskin.jpg

eyesandskin2.jpg

eyesandskin3.jpg

eyesandskin4.jpg

eyesandskin5.jpg

eyesandskin6.jpg

Mona, now I am curious about how early you have sent in their hair samples. I usually wait until they are a month old to take them.

Are you sending them in at a few days old? Can they get enough DNA?

I would have tested for cream too, maybe she just has blue eyes in her silver?buckskin? coat?

Maybe you can still ask them to test it to?

Joanne they mostly use tailhairs for the younger ones.
default_wink.png

She looks just like the amber-cream filly my friend had.

Champagne on bay with cream, but you are right that she can't be champagne if her parents are not.

But don't they look alike?
default_wink.png

http://www.lindasminiatures.com/images/amber2.jpg

Oh and congrats! Whatever the color she's a beauty!

.....Im going to steal that one....
default_laugh.png
I does she have some sort of dun in her? I only ask because of the stripe but I am still learning and that was just a shot in the dark. Goodness shes soooooo cute! wow
default_wub.png

I have only just thought of this but, of course, she could be Smoky Cream....... :stupid
default_doh.gif
default_smile.png

No matter what her color is, she is absolutely precious. I just want to pick her up and run with her!

Mona, now I am curious about how early you have sent in their hair samples. I usually wait until they are a month old to take them.
Yes Joanne, I used mane hairs. I am assuming there will be enough DNA as long as there are bulbs at the ends of the hairs?? I don't see why not.

Meavy, even "assuming" you are right about her "just having" the blue eyes, how then do you explain her pink skin? It is pink, and is pink to stay. Since she has no white facial or pinto markings, her eye rims, nose/muzzle and lips/mouth should all be black, but they are pink...as are her nipples and her backend.
default_yes.gif
No, I am not paying another $25 to tell me what I already know.

I am going with perlino over smokey creme. Only for the fact that her mane is darker than her body color. Even though her body color is darker than "most" perlinos. I think that is just like the different shades of buckskin. Some are light, some are dark. But she isn't uniform darker color like the other smokey creme filly. So I am going with perlino. And no question she is a double dilute. And she is adorable.

I knew her dam as a baby (a friend is her breeder) and owned the dams sire at one time too.

What a cutie. Very interested to see what the results are? You said you are testing for red and agouti? Which one applies to smokey cream and which one to perlino? Still figuring out all this color stuff.

What a cutie. Very interested to see what the results are? You said you are testing for red and agouti? Which one applies to smokey cream and which one to perlino? Still figuring out all this color stuff.
If she carried black and agouti, she is perlino. If she carries black and no agouti, she is smokey cream. RThe red test will also tell me if she is homozygous for black or not, and she could also be homozygous for agouti. (which I am doubting)

Ive done testing this young and had no worries
default_smile.png
(I was impatient and didnt want to wait lol)

Mona - Congrats on your filly she is beautiful!!!! As for colour, her body colour makes me think Smokey Cream but the darker mane and tail look Perlino. Look forward to hearing the results. Either way her colour is striking I love it
default_wub.png

Ok with the new pics, I am going to guess Perlino.
default_wub.png
She is adorable Mona...

Thank you all for your replies on the foal age for DNA testing.

I knew to use tail hair (frankly I prefer this at any age).

I am ALWAYS anxious to verify. This is most helpful.

Latest posts

Back