Need Help! Is My Foal Colicking?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clpclop

Reaction score
I may be overly concerned but how can I tell if my 3 mo old foal is colicky? I'm usually not home during the day and am not aware of their daily habits. I went out this 8:30 a.m. to feed and it's already really hot! My foal was sleeping in the sun and she was sweaty on her chest. Not damp, but moist. It's been 95-100 degrees here for the last 2 weeks and she's had loose stools for about a week. She's been rolling and rolling and I'm not sure I've seen her poop lately. She's eating a little hay with her mom and seems somewhat annoyed. I've only had 1 case of colic in the last 15 years of horse ownership and I'm not sure if I could recognize it properly. I cooled her down with a little sprinkle hose and she's drinking plenty of water. Am I an over-concerned? I guess it's just those loose stools that have caused me concern.

I would definitely be watching her. She doesn't sound quite " right" . Does she seem to be breathing more rapidly than she should? What is her overall attitude?

She could be overheating or she could have a "funny tummy" which is what can lead to a full colic. The rolling would concern me.

I would suggest puting a call in to your vet. Take her vitals if you can first so you can relay them to the vet.

Let us know how it's going.

MA

I'm not far from you and yes, it has been very, VERY hot the last few weeks. How is she doing? It's mid afternoon right now.

Liz R.

I am not a vet but her rolling and her interest in water are signs of ulcers which are not all that uncommon in a foal her age. When she rolls does she want to lay on her back if she can? We had a foal who exhibited the same signs loose though not runny stools and loved the water bucket and rolled and rolled wanting to stay on her back when she could with her legs in the air. I would call the vet as this ultimately can lead to colic if not treated soon enough. I know we lost our girl because we didnt know at the time. I will never miss this in a foal again.

Yes, I would call the vet. Ulcers are a real concern with foals - and something often overlooked. Glad you picked up on her not being quite right. There are good veterinary products for ulcers (Gastroguard) but in a pinch, and if your vet approves, you may be able to help her with over the counter Tagamet or something similar. It won't cure ulcers but will often alleviate symptoms and help them feel better.

Other possibility of course is that she is mildly colicky, related or not to ulcers. Let us know how she is doing.

Jan

Thank you all for your backup. Although she "seems" to be okay...my vet is coming out this morning. She still has loose stools and that is a concern. I'll update you on the findings.

Thanks for the update - was thinking about your little girl this morning. Glad to hear your vet is coming out - please keep us posted.

Liz R.

Just a follow up on my filly and colt. The vet came out today and checked them. Everything is okay. No temp, all okay in the tummy. They are both eating and healthy! He said to continue giving them a few tablespoons of plain yogurt and some pedialite in their water for a few more days.

Thanks for all your help!

I'm glad she passed the vet's tests! Did he look for worms though? I had a foal colic at a fairly young age from worms. Have you dewormed your filly yet?

Latest posts

Back