Need help ASAP Colic

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rodeohounddog I pray for your little mare. I too have experienced recently what you are describing though my little guy never went that long with out a bowel movement. If you are getting mineral oil into her it should pass through the GI tract within 12-18 hours if there is no impaction. Any sign yet? Also to get her to drink more mix 2 parts salt with 4 parts Baking soda and 1 part lite salt and take a tablespoon of that and mix it with water and syringe into her mouth. This is per my vet. Do this mixture 4 times a day and it helps replenish electrolytes on top of being salty enough that it causes them to want to drink. She also said to keep a bucket of fresh water and a bucket with electolytes in it and let him choose which he wanted to drink. My guy chose the electrolyte solution. My guys symptoms were just like you mare. He was lethargic he wanted to lay all the time. He did roll up on his back when he laid unless I sat with him and then he would lay quiet. He wanted no food or water and had at times no gut sounds. Other times the gut sounds were loud. He would nibble grass but with very little enthusiasm. He colicked off and on for several weeks. During these episodes he kept geting tubed with mineral oil and electrolytes and given banamine which would only work for a few hours then he too would act colicky again. I ended up treating him homeopathically with more success and comfort for him . After a a few months of these colicky episodes my guy became sick and had a bout of severe diarrhea. I had a barrage of tests run on him and all came back normal. After asking questions here if ulcers could be causing it. My vet and I decided to treat him for Ulcers. Since he started the Gastroguard he is a new horse. He is a voracious eater now, his coat is healthy, and he is spunky. I hope that this is your mares problem and not something much worse. Please do try to find an veterinarian that can rule something more serious out. Is it at all possible that you are missing that she pooped? One more thing check her temp, pulse and respiration. http://www.lilbeginnings.com/links/info/health/signs/

Good luck!

As others have already said, I can't stress the importance of IV fluids enough, wether done at an animal hospital or at your place under a vets supervision, they are a key part of recovery when it comes to an impaction. I am sure by this point your horse will need something as a precaution to neutralize any toxins that are forming in the gut after they have been tubed to draw off any fluids that are forming. If it sounds a little scarey, its because it is, your horse needs to be seen by a vet/brought into an animal hospital now. Most animal hospitals will let you make payments on a bill. If surgery is not an option you can tell them that, they can still tube, medicate and hydrate (as long as there aren't any twists in the gut) and hope for the best,

Sending some prayers your way,

Carolyn

I definately agree with the others! Your mare needs to go another vet and ASAP. Colic distress for three days is not good............ Gatorade is wonderful and they love it. It hydrates them almost as quickly as IV fluids.

Please let us know what the vets say, I have heard that green grass is good for colic but it could depend on the type of colic. If it is an impaction I would think NOTHING is best, expect fluids.

Good luck!

Beth

Please.. DO NOT DEWORM A COLICING HORSE!!!!!!!! Things are bad enough as they are. Don't add something toxic to the mix.

As others have said, this horse needs to be in a vet clinic asap. As long as this has been going on it is highly unlikely that you can treat this successfully at home. The horse needs to be on IV fluids...tubed with oil and water and blood work done as her electrolytes are probably all out of whack by now. Monitored around the clock. Please find a vet hospital and transport her now.

I will be praying for your little horse.

Charlotte

I definitely owuld try another Vet in the area or load her up and go to a Vet hospital. After 3 days of what you have been doing, she needs medical help more than you can do. And yes, minis can be tubed. Personally, I would not worm her. She needs fluids probably by IV and pain meds and the help of a Vet or hospital.

Please let us know the outcome and I pray for success with her.

Joyce

I wanted to check in and see how your mare is? I am hoping you have been able to get her to the hospital. Please let us know how she is as soon as you can. I am praying for her.

Just so you all know, there are a good many vets that will recommend giving dewormer to a horse with colic. At one time not so much, but now days it seems to be a common treatment. I know several of the vets in this area will give that advice, and a number of people from other areas have told me their vets say the same thing. If there is a blockage caused by worms, the dewormer can actually help, because the worms let go of the intestine & get passed on through, clearing the blockage. I once had a Morgan with severe colic that I thought might be caused by worms--in this area it's next to impossible to get a vet to come out & tube a horse with colic--the horse wasn't getting any better & I finally gave her a tube of dewormer. I said it might help, and if it made her worse we would get the vet out to euthanize even if he wouldn't come out to tube her. I don't know if it worked or was just coincidence, but in 24 hours her condition improved and in 48 hours she was completely over the colic. In all she had been sick for 5 days. Banamine kept her comfortable or at least kept her from being in pain to the point where she'd be down & thrashing. The vets here say it's okay to give banamine up to 5 days; after 5 days there is high risk of ulcers.

I hope the horse in this case will pull through this okay. I would find it encouraging that gum color is still good.

I'd get her to a doctor to diagnose right now - although its good to treat for colic it could also be something else. When a horse slows down her eating she will also pass manure much slower. After three days you have to start worrying about hyperlipidemia regardless of the cause.

Thoughts and prayers for your little one
default_unsure.png
I hope she is doing better!

Any updates? I thought about this girl all night!
default_sad.png

Viki

Hoping we soon hear some news about this little girl.

Wishing for the very best.

Some good news for Canadian THanksgiving....please
default_smile.png

I've been checking back all day for updates. Sure hope the little mare is recovered!

Viki

Oh I hope she is okay!!! I just was reading the thread tonight. I was hoping we would have had an update. Maybe she took her to the vet. If it's a distance she may not be back yet.

Please let us know how your little one is doing???

default_unsure.png
I hope no one offended you with their advice or opinions
default_sad.png
Please give us an update when you can. It's hard not to worry about these little ones even when they aren't your own.

Does anyone know what happened with this mare??????

I don't see any further outcome on here.

Joyce

Latest posts

Back