Need Hay??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherokee Rose

Reaction score
I know this maynot be cost effective...but I know some of you in the southern states are hurting for hay. My hay guy has a bumper crop of hay this year...infact he can't cut some of the fields he has no room left. I was just thinking if farms went togather and bought it by the semi load it maybe would would work..he says he has at least 2 semi loads...@ 2.75 bale. Just thought I would throw this out there...if anybody would like his contact info please pm me...........Thanks Carrie

I'm too far away to offer much physical help but have a suggestion.Several years ago dairy farmers in 1 area of east coast were hurting for hay and those that had excess hay hauled it to where needed.If you know any truckers they have big hearts and sometimes haul deadhead(no return load)there has got to be somebody out there willing to help those in need.The USm is great for helping all around the world, but there are people here who need help.Mayhe guy with hay could contact extension agent in his area to contact extension agent in area where hay is needed.Call your Sen or Rep and have them call US DEPT of AG.Lots of these people know each other from conferences.

I was thinking that too! it is a great idea
default_aktion033.gif
I have been reading all of the posts about bales being close to 20 dollars, I dont know how many bales fit on a semi but there seems like a lot of people in the tezas oklahoma areas that are in desperate need of hay and I dont know what trucking charges are but even if the charges bump the hay from 2.75 to 10 to 12 bucks you are still way ahead and you can split the charges between a bunch of farms...

Great Idea Cherokee Rose and hope people can take advantage of this wonderful thing!!!

Trucking hay in from out of state is a reality for us down here now. I'm looking at hay everywhere from Oregon to Virginia, waiting to see what materializes next week. Will sure keep it in mind if nothing comes together quickly. What kind of hay is it?

Jan

Sheesh, we need hay so bad. And that is a GREAT price! We just can't afford a whole load and gas, too.... *sigh*

Jan & Field of Dreams -

My feed store (Arrow Feed, Granbury) is getting 3 string bales (about 100 lb bales) of bermuda that look very nice (I've seen it). They are shipping it in and are getting together truckloads. I don't know the price yet, but it will better quality than what we can find locally. They said the price shouldn't be bad. I've signed up for 100 bales. Price is partially dependent on how many bales they end up getting.

Yeah, this is what I am having to do already. Sharing a load with 2 other people now.

Just to clarify...my hay guy doesn't have a semi to haul this hay. I was just thinking if some farms got together and found a hauler that this would help them out. The hay is mixed grass hay timothy, orchard, clover..and native grasses...my horses do well on it as you can see on my website. Bales are running around 50lbs give or take...hope this helps. Hay is located near Duluth Minnesota..

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish it wasn't so far away. By the time I would pay trucking, it would be more than what I pay at the feed store for hay.
default_no.gif

What is the usual charge per loaded mile now? If you actually figure it up I would think it comes out to less than $20/bale (less than $15 I would think)--seems to me we used to get 750 bales on a load.

All hay here and where we were in AZ is trucked in, and last 5 years have averaged around 12 to 20 per bale, less by the ton. We have tried to find anyone here to go in with us on a semi load from Idaho. No one seems to want to, so they pay high.

Amount you get on a trailer depends on how it's baled, who loads it and size of trailer. A typical 52' semi trailer can get from 350-500. Obviously you want all you can get as the cost to transport is same....no matter how many.

For me, here on E Coast the trip is 1300-1400 miles each way. You could expect $1.50 per mile to be very cheap....... So, $3900 transport minimum. Of course, finding a one way hauler would help cut that some....but, per mile will will more. Remember, these rigs only get 4-6 mpg. But for some closer it could be a very good buy -- share a load!

Just info. By the way, it's almost same distance for round trip to San Antonio, TX if anyone is thinking about that.

I appreciate the info, no matter. Some people are really, really hunting!!!! I'm fortunate to be able to get some really nice bermuda within 100 miles, all I could want. Anyone closer to me need such, msg me.

Thanks.

That's what I figure Becky. Sure would be nice to get some good hay, Winter supply!

I would definitely like his information please. I have 3 foster homes in Oklahoma that are in need of hay and I have been searching high and low for several weeks now with no luck.

I did PM you.
default_smile.png
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back