Need good Apple Pie recipe

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candleliteranch

Reaction score
OK so I'll be cheating on the crust and bought the prepared ones. Can't make pie crust to save my soul. I just want the filling to be good, using fresh picked apples, now tell me what other ingredients I need. Nothing fancy, just old fashioned, like Gramma used to make apple pie. Anyone..........

BTW Deb, you're WAY behind on your recipes for me. No wonder I lost so much weight!
biggrin.gif

Well Lisa, I just had to lose some weight myself BUT it is fall and the time for so many yummy things so (sigh) here I go again!

My great-grammy used to make the bestest apple pie! I also CHEAT with the Pillsbury Pie Crusts. One thing I just cannot make well is a crust!
wacko.gif

This isn't a "recipe" per say as you know grammies, they just add and taste til it's good.

Use nice big firm Granny Smith apples. Gotta have those and no others.

Peel, core and slice, not too thin or thick and LOTS of em! Say 8 big apples. I use a big pyrex bowl.

Get your sugar canister and add maybe 1/4c, shake some cinnamon on top, yes shake maybe two shakes EASY now (you can always add more), then get the flour and add a couple tablespoons (I use a regular spoon), then mix it up alot. It should mix really good and the slices should be coated and seem a bit "gummy". Now taste one. Is it ok? Sweet enough, cinnamony enough? Gummy enough? Add a bit more of any of the 3 until it looks and tastes like you want it to. Remember! Don't go too sweet. Or too gummy. Just nicely coated.

Then let it sit while you get a nice DEEP pie plate ready and have a snack
yes.gif
then add your apples to the bottom crust. Put some soft butter all around the top perimeter of the apples (must be BUTTER) I use maybe....2-3 tbls.

Add your top crust. Lots of times I use a cookie cutter to make a cut out on the top crust. After you lay the top crust on top and crimp it, put your cutout in the empty space. Do slash a few steam vents too. Bake at 400 until you can insert a steak knife in the thick part and the slices are soft. Watch it after 40 mins so the crust doesn't burn or darken too much. If your apples aren't quite done and your crust is remember it will continue to cook after you remove it.

There...howz that?

applepie.jpg

OOOHHH Deb, that sounds yummy! Ok I don't use butter for anything, but IO have to go out anyway, so I'll get some if you insist
biggrin.gif

Was going to make it tomorrow, but seeing your pic now I gotta make it today!

Thanks Deb, once again you saved the day
xreiter.gif

You're most welcome. Give the rest of the butter away or better yet put it in the freezer. I'm "sure" you'll be baking more pies of any kind. Butter is so important. Just can't use a substitute in a pie. Let me know how you make out!

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
DELICIOUS
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Thanks Deb And it was sooo easy!!!!

I'll make any dessert recipe that is this good and this easy to make! Bring em on!

Last edited by a moderator:
aktion033.gif
My granny just piled th apples high in the pan on the crust throw in a couple of handfulls of raisens sprinkle on a mixture of sugar cinnamon and nutmeg being generous. Later she started adding caramels on top before putting on the top crust. She never heard of grannie smiths so she used what she grew right off the tree with a little washing.

Back