Need Colic Help...1st time for me

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElliesMom

Reaction score
Hi all, Im hoping you will help me understand colic a little better. Ellie coliced on me this afternoon - I called the vet, he came out and did what he could for her , but was worried because her gums were purply in color and thought there might be something else going on with her as well.

I was hoping that some of you might help me understand how long colic lasts, what the purple color of the gums might be, how closely should I watch her tonight, ect., ect. She did take a poop a little while ago and though there was not much poop, what was there was big. Her appetite has come back as well. Does this mean she's on the mend? Please help me with all the info you can.....Im a nervous wreck! Thanks, Trish

First of all Trish, what did the vet do.

Did she have gut sounds and does she now. In other words if you were to go out and put your ear to her stomach would you hear gurgling.

What was her heart rate. This can determine how much pain the horse is in. The quicker the rate the worse it is. It should be about 40 a minute.

Did/does she have a temp? Should be about 100.

Are her gums slimy and wet or tacky and dry? They should be slimy and wet.

The purple on gums is not a good sign and I hope that is gone now.

Usually if they are eating and have a normal looking poop they are on the road to recovery.

Did your vet oil her or give her pain med?

I know this is a lot of questions but colic is a very broad term for basically anything that involves a tummy ache.

I am sitting here wondering why your vet saw the purple gums and did nothing more than he did and left. ?!?

Colic can go on for a long time. I wouldn't let her eat anything right now incase it impacts than you have a big problem on your hands. Horses can still be colicing and still have fecal production. One major thing to do right now is too hear any gut sounds. If you hear lots of gurgling than more than likely the fear has passed but still watch her closely. If not than your not out of the woods yet. The major things to look for in diagnosing colic is if the horse is in pain, decreased gut sounds, and decreased or absent fecal production.

What did the vet do to treat her?

I'm so sorry. I hope you have a case that is not horribly serious and it passes quick as it can. Don't leave her alone although that big poop is a good sign!

Colic can wear you both out. Hopefully it will pass within a couple of days.

I never leave a horse unattended during a colic. You don't get to go to bed, unless you take shifts with someone. It's very hard and everyone gets so tired of walking and watching and waiting for the symptoms to subside. Sometimes when the banamine wears off, they go right back to square one with their symptoms and then you have to begin again from scratch. Other times, that's all it takes and boom they are back to good again.

Last colic I had lasted three days with my quarter horse Kate. It was a very bad case of gas colic. We were out there day and night in a blizzard and ice storm freezing to death with her in the snow. No vet could make it up here and luckily I had banamine and mineral oil on hand but we cut it very close. I did eventually loose Kate to colic the following year. I've had some that were just a mild touch and it passed quickly. They are all different and different causes, different procedures. I wish you much luck and best wishes for a full and speedy recovery for your little one.

The vet listen to her gut and heard a little sound - her heart rate was 78 - He gave her pain medication and then another one with a sedative, and proceeded to run a tube down to her stomach to check for fluid build up. There was nothing. He then pumped in some mineral oil after that. I gave her more pain med about 45 minutes ago and am getting ready to go check her again...but about an hour or so again she did have that one poop and started looking for food....

Sounds like the vet did what he was suppose to do. Also with the gums thats pretty serious. It can be many things. Right now I would check on to see if you can hear her gut sounds better and what her gum color looks like.

Update; I went out to check her againg and from what I can tell with a flashlight in the dark, her gums look a little less purple and a little more pink. I cant hear the guts sound due to traffic on the hwy behind us. She is walking around alot and searching for anything she can eat ....dont know if this is such a good idea since shes picking up every dropped piece of hay she can find which means alot of dirt getting in her - plus shes eating the bark on the tree in desparation.....What should I do about all this?

I was just following the instructions given by the vet.....Ellies heart rate is considerably down, but still a little fast.

Put a lead on her and walk her, If she eats anything right now it should be some green grass if you have any left. Grass is a natural laative and will stimulate her gut to get things moving. Dont let her eat all that stuff though.

Great advice but PLEASE do not let her eat the bark off of any tree. That can be poisonous.

Latest posts

Back