Need clarification on AMHR Sweeps and Futurity

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaprikorn

Reaction score
Well after reading over both I am very confused.

I want to nominate my stallion, but is this for foals born THIS year?? or 2013 ?? I sent my stuff off before the March 1 deadline to AMHR and to Bruce Abbott, got a call from ANHR saying that what I sent would be for foals born 2012. . .I have none.

SO. . . .is what I sent to Bruce for the wrong year?

I know there is an expert out there to clarify this to me.

Thanks in advance,

Sheryl

Sweepstakes nominations being taken right now are for this breeding season for foals to be born in 2013. Futurity nominations for those foals will not be due until March 1, 2013. Basically you do the Sweepstakes nominations before breeding and you do the Futurity nominations after breeding.

Example: Grassmere's Mr. Unique in my avatar was nominated in the Sweepstakes last year. We bred two mares to him for the Sweepstakes. Those foals are due this spring/summer and had to be nominated in the Futurity (Sweepstakes requirement) so I sent in the nominating forms a couple of weeks ago to nominate him and the mares. The foals due this spring/summer will now be able to show in the Sweepstakes and the Futurity this year at Nationals.

Lewella

If I understand the OP's question correctly, she is asking about nominating her stallion for Futurity babies...and I have the same question. I have a 3 yr old stallion I will be breeding to a few mares this year, so I would nominate both him and the mares THIS year for next year's foals....correct??

NO, for foals born next year (2013) you will need to nominate your mares and stallions NEXT year before March 1st..

It's too late now anyway to nominate for this year's Futurity, they closed March 1st.

Sweepstakes I know nothing about...

Sweepstakes and Futurity are different "pots" and can be confusing.

Futurity Nominations for foals born in 2012 are due Mar 1 of 2012.

Sweepstakes Stallion Participants have to nominate their stallions by Mar 1 of 2012 for foals born in 2013. This allows for the auction and outside mares to be bred in the summer of 2012. The mares are then nominated by Dec 1 of 2012.

So in summary, all futurity nominations are done the same year the foal is born.

All Sweepstakes nominations are done the year before the foal is born.

default_yes.gif

I was able to pull your pictures of Scottie write up from your website as I am putting together the sweepstakes list. Your stallion is in the AMHR Sweepstakes....You nominated him this year with the documents you sent to Bruce...you will be allowed to designate one mare by putting him in the sweepstakes for the nomination fee of $200. You and other mare owners can bid on one other breeding for the sweepstakes. Whoever wins the bid will need to designate that mare by Dec. 1 of 2012, and the resulting 2 foals can show in the sweepstakes class that will be held at the 2013 Nationals. You can see all the details at http://www.amhrstallionsweepstakes.com including rules, etc. You also MUST have your stallion and any mares that are designated for him in the AMHR Futurity. Totally confused?? My phone number is on the sweepstakes home page.

P.S. Next March is the deadline for getting him and his mares in the FUTURITY. Those are the papers you would send to the AMHR office.

Last edited by a moderator:
NO, for foals born next year (2013) you will need to nominate your mares and stallions NEXT year before March 1st..

It's too late now anyway to nominate for this year's Futurity, they closed March 1st.

Sweepstakes I know nothing about...
Yes, I understand the futurities closed on March 1.

Thank you for clarifying the nominations for the stallion.

Thank you so much everyone . . .I now understand the two and when to nominate for each. I sent sweeps in before 3/1/12, so Scottie is in sweeps. Next year for futurity.

Latest posts

Back