Need advice...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deltadawn758

Reaction score
I have a question and would like advice. I have a miniature horse I wish to sell however, we never followed through with the transfer from last owners name to ours and never had the temp. registration form changed over to permanant registration. My question is do I have to or should I follow through with all of this only to charge more for the horse or should I just sell the mini mare and give them paperwork. We are very new to the miniature horse world and are trying to learn. Any help and or advice would be most appreciated.

deltadawn758

Welcome to the LB forum!

Speaking from experience from a buyer's standpoint, I'm always more interested in a horse that has up-to-date paperwork than one I have to struggle to update myself.

More than once, I've had to sort out registration paperwork for a new horse - tracking down previous owners, getting signatures on proper forms - and more frustrating, having to spend extra money to get it all taken care of (worse if it's both registries). Sometimes I think the people at the AMHR and AMHA offices know me by voice, I've called to ask so many questions! The only good that comes out of it is that I've learned a LOT about registration in a really short time!

I highly recommend you bring all the paperwork up-to-date and accurate and place a little higher cost on the horse. The buyer will thank you (instead of curse you
default_wacko.png
) for it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes you should bring all paperwork up to date, with your name. This is just good horse business. If I were looking at 2 horses, very similar pedigree, conformation, etc., but one had paperwork issues, I would pick the other. It's just a part of being in the horse business.

Welcome to the wonderful world of minis!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you both very much for the advice! Now I just have to muddle through and figure out how to do all this paper stuff! =)

Welcome to the LB forum!

Speaking from experience from a buyer's standpoint, I'm always more interested in a horse that has up-to-date paperwork than one I have to struggle to update myself.

More than once, I've had to sort out registration paperwork for a new horse - tracking down previous owners, getting signatures on proper forms - and more frustrating, having to spend extra money to get it all taken care of (worse if it's both registries). Sometimes I think the people at the AMHR and AMHA offices know me by voice, I've called to ask so many questions! The only good that comes out of it is that I've learned a LOT about registration in a really short time!

I highly recommend you bring all the paperwork up-to-date and accurate and place a little higher cost on the horse. The buyer will thank you (instead of curse you
default_wacko.png
) for it!

The suggestions to bring all current is good.

Call the registry for whom you have paperwork and talk to them. They will tell you exactly what/how to do everything needed. Most likely you will be able to send all at once (transfer & transfer temp to perm) so long as you provide everything they ask at one time.
default_aktion033.gif

Just have a pen and paper ready, along with the papers you have.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you continue with the minis. Really, they are a lot of fun.

For one of my minis...The temporary certificate of registration isn't signed by the people I got the mini from...so, to apply for permanaent registration (AMHA) do I have to have this owner sign where it says, "I hereby certify that _________was measured according to AMHA regulations and found to be _____inches in height. So on and so forth and then the date and signature of owner? Or can I myself fill this part out?

For one of my minis...The temporary certificate of registration isn't signed by the people I got the mini from...so, to apply for permanaent registration (AMHA) do I have to have this owner sign where it says, "I hereby certify that _________was measured according to AMHA regulations and found to be _____inches in height. So on and so forth and then the date and signature of owner? Or can I myself fill this part out?
In my experience, you can fill this part out yourself and sign as 'owner', since you will be the official owner once the transfers are in place. Just make sure you measure your horse accurately (at the last mane hair). And remember, if the horse is over 34", it isn't eligble for permanent registration in AMHA.

Besides contacting the registries directly - and they are wonderfully patient! - you can also check the rule books and get any needed forms from their websites:

AMHA (they have a great resource for registering horses): http://www.amha.org/

AMHR: http://www.shetlandmini.com/

Latest posts

Back