Need advice.... have a tail chewer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKC

Reaction score
I've never had a horse that chewed tails. This is a miniature weanling colt that I got a few months ago. Anyone have one? Did they ever stop?

It appears this just started over the last week or so.

Kim

Yes he is. Some of the middle of the tail looks to be chewed on as well. He's paddocked with one other weanling.

LOL lil brat! I think I would mix some liquid dish soap and water in a spray bottle and spray it on the tail hairs of the weaner getting chewed upon. Not so much that is soaks on to his tail bone and makes him itchy or anything but just enough so when the brat comes along and takes a nibble it tastes icky. I know it has always worked well for me to keep racehorses from chewing on their leg wraps. I am sure others here will have some good ideas too because this does come up from time to time when you have them together. At least you are able to narrow down who the chewer is.

Vinager or listerine would work just as well without being a danger to the colt in case it doesnt' work.

Thank you both. I will do one of those.

Yes, this boy is a lil brat. I've dreamed and dreamed of owning a horse of this caliber and color(blue(black) roan. UGH! I just can't believe it. He's chewing on my Erica colt(Bandito) Bailey's tail.

Bailey is just so quiet and laid back with him. I guess he's just standing around long enough to let him do it. I've never seen it happen so it must be mainly at night when he's doing it. Their two stalls are being finished today so back in the barn they go at night. That will help part of the day.

I'll get some on Bailey's tail and let you all know how it goes. Hopefully, Denni will stop soon. I was just devastated when I saw it.

I've never had a confirmed tail chewer - but we bought a young mare a number of years ago who colicked on us after about a year. Vet removed a tennis ball sized lump of sand & tail hair, hard as rock. Have to assume she chewed tails as a baby since she never did it here. Good habit to nip in the bud quickly!

Jan

Thank god mine like their hay enough not to eat tails!!

Sorry that little booger is doin that. :DOH!

I've got wonderful nice soft green hay, but we don't feed it 24/7. I've never had a tail chewer out of owning 30 horses large and small over a period of almost 30 years. This is a first for us.

I was also, concerned about the colic in thinking the hair has to be settling and most likely not being passed.

Russ- got your PM. Thank you. I just got home and saw it. I'm going to respond asap.
default_smile.png

Kim

We used to plaster shortening mixed with cyanne pepper to stop bandage chewing on our big horses. I know it is a real mess but it worked. One mouthful of that mix and they never touched another bandage again. I think it would be too much of a mess on a tail. We have a goat that chewed the feathers off of our Emu. We tried apple bitters and violet spray. We finally made a blanket for the Emu. The goat could not chew what she couldn't get to.

Latest posts

Back