Need a waterproof blanket w/some warmth to it...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secuono

Reaction score
Kasia simply will not use a shelter, she stood out in the freezing rain we had last night. Half her fur wet, icicles on the ends, looking like a soggy dog....

So, I'd like to find a blanket for her that is waterproof and adds just some warmth. We rarely have this type of overly cold weather in VA, hopefully it won't continue in the following winters, but anyway.

I have no idea what kind of blanket she needs when buying online. They don't have mini coats in stores, not much of the regular horse size ones either. I'm used to feeling the coats for my dogs, since online really tells me nothing about it.

Does anyone know what I should be looking for, fill type or amount for what I'm looking for? I don't want a rain jacket, thin piece of waterproof fabric and that's it. I want it to have some fill just to 'take the edge off' as they say.

Ideas? Links to the right coats?

I've been looking over MiniTack.com and I have zero ideas as to which to get.

We live in washington where it rains a all the time and we use waterproof rain sheets by shires. Horseloverz also has an amigo. They don't generally need extra warmth if they aren't clipped.

Check the Ozark Mtn website--their KM600 lightweight blanket may fill the bill for you. It has 80 gram fill--I use the heavy weight ones here but the 80 gram one may be enough for you. I can say these are truly waterproof--I have put my heavy one on a soaking wet horse in the pouring rain. When I checked her later she was warm and DRY under the blanket.

I have the Kensington Waterproof Roustabout blankets from Ozark Mountain Tack and love them. They are durable, warm and waterproof. I'm not sure we're allowed to post links of items for sale but it's on their page. Also if you call them, they will help you. Wonderful people. Great place to shop for minis.

Dont forget that you will need to buy two of whatever you choose - one to wear and one to dry out as you will need to change them every day, if not twice a day depending upon the weather. It is not nice to put a cold damp rug on a warm dry horse IMO. Good luck with finding one that suits your sweet little girl.
default_yes.gif

I too like the tough 1 blankets because they are heavy weight. I know you are worried about your horse being in the rain and cold. Its important to consider the commitment with blankets. You cannot put a blanket on a wet horse nor can a wet blanket keep him warm. No blanket is water proof, he will get damp, especially around the neck and if soaked he will need a polar fleece cooler to wick away wetness if he is shivering cold. Horses usually handle the cold/wet okay with a healthy fur coat. It is actually better for the horse to not have a blanket over a winter coat as it prevents the hair from standing up and insulating him. If left in a cold wet blanket all night, he will actually be colder with it than without. I personally feel water proof blankets are only good for sprinkles and snow, as if a horse needing blankets gets saturated he will catch a chill. I have tried so many water proof wear with little succesd in heavy rain. If you get him to wear a neck cover, it may help keep him dry a bit better. It may be easiest to put a gate on his run in shed and keep him in when it is pouring and frigid out so you wont have to mess with blankets. But if you do buy one, look for a tough 1 or polar teck as they are very heavily quilted. Good luck and stay warm. I am soooo sick of this winter weather.

Amysue...did you read my post? My Kensington waterproof turnout really is waterproof--I can throw it onto a soaking wet horse and even out in a torrential downpour she was dried off and warmed up--completely dry under the blanket and no longer shivering! I have a mare wearing a waterproof Kensington now and have to change it and dry it out About every 4 days--she will still be warm under it, but as it wicks away moisture in this super cold weather that moisture freezes inside the blanket before it can escape into the air--once a bit of ice builds up the blanket gets all crinkly. So, I dry it out and then it is good for another 3 or 4 days.

My water resistant quilted roustabout blankets have to be changed and dried out every 24 hours in this weather. Those do not work well for drying off a wet horse.

I bought a kensington water proof rug from Ozark mini tack for a mare of mine who lives outside. She too prefers to stay out and we've been having horrible weather lately. I was not impressed with the kensington roustabout rug at all! They guaranteed it was water proof. In my opinion it was expensive for not keeping her fully dry. $98 for a mini blanket and she still had to come inside. She was wet all along her back and up her shoulders and withers. It was low into the teens that night and of course she was wet and shivering so I had to bring her in and dry her off as the rug was wet all of the way through. I have yet to find a rug that will keep them really dry in torrential rain. I come from the generation of not putting blankets on long wet fur because it takes to long to dry. Im glad they work for you, but im still not convinced that a horse will be warm under wet clothes especially when rain seeps in under the blanket.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not seen her shiver at all. My across-the-street neighbor has a big horse gelding and a mini, not sure of gender. They are an older couple, kind of a day late with the blankets on them, but they seem ok. They are slow with adding the blankets and slow with removing the blankets. This year, they got them a little shelter. Wouldn't use it until they added hay into it. They still don't use it for general shelter, they don't need it, they grow a coat, they are 'pet' horses.

I don't blanket my horses, big horses, no need. I don't show, so I don't shave them. But the mini won't use the shelter. While the bigger horses will use the barn when it gets too much for them. Sheep also use it when it gets too much for them. I have a big open cattle feed type barn. Open two sides, concrete middle, they go in when it's too much. But the mini won't go into her shelter at all. I made her a new one yesterday and still a no-go. She'll be in the easement by spring and I'll make her a more real shelter. After that, I hope she can live with the sheep. Then they will have a section of the barn. But that's awhile from now. Now she needs a coat. Next year, if weather is still crazy, she might need something to help. Pony, horse, sheep have the barn. She has a small shelter which she refuses to use.... :/
Maybe I should bring her into the house next time it's bad out....

I'll check the blankets you all mentioned tomorrow. =)

My Kensingtons are waterproof. Of course yes they do get water around the neck line but everywhere else the blanket covers has stayed dry. Luckily I have only used my blankets a few times and this year I have not had to... yet.
default_whistling.gif

Yeah, any blanket will have some water get in around the neck (or snow)--as long as the horse is dry otherwise that doesn't seem to make him cold. My Kensingtons are definitely waterproof. The one May when I had very sick horses, one mare wore one of them for 3 or 4 days straight. Even when she went out in the pouring rain she stayed dry. In the same situation, even the quilted Kensingtons, which are only water resistant, stayed dry for several hours. Those would get wet at the croup and then start to soak through along the back seam, so I was changing them every 8-10 hours.

Are we talking about a winter waterproof blanket for snow or one that will work in the rain? I love the roustabouts for snowy, cold days and they are water poof against snow in my experience with Vermont winters. Haven't used them during the rain so can't speak to that at all. Still my first choice for winter snow moisture and warmth. If I were looking for a rain blanket, I'd use a rain sheet and something underneath if you needed added warmth. JMHO but I love the roustabouts for winter. And if you really want dry, you have to add a hood as well because any kind of moisture will drip from the neck under the blanket.

Snow isn't much of an issue, she can shake that off. It's the freezing rain that soaks her like a dog and she does nothing to try and stay dry. I just want to toss it on for the day or night we're expecting a winter mix downpour to help keep her less of a furry icicle.

She wouldn't be wearing it during spring rains, it'd be warm enough not to be paranoid about her out there.

Can try Custompetandtack.homestead.com, they are custom made, great prices and people are super nice!

Latest posts

Back