Need a bit recommendation

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LowriseMinis

Reaction score
I've been ground driving Laci a lot lately, just in a halter for now. I tried the bit I have with her and she REALLY didn't like it-just a cheapie half cheek snaffle. I messed around with her mouth and she has a tiny tiny mouth with a low, low palate. I was thinking she might appreciate something like a very thin mullen mouth bit, but I wanted to check for other opinions.

I find the french link is the best bit in this (if not most) scenarios.
default_wub.png

I used the copper one from MiniExpress with sucess for my little gelding. He could have worn a 3", but carried the 3 1/2 easily and it didn't look too big for him. He loved is, as did several others that I bought this bit for.

If you try a mullen, I recommend the stainless ones from Chimacum Tack. Do not try to go too narrow a mouthpiece, as it will make it more severe.

As for the single broken snaffles that come with most harnesses...I don't know why they bother making that crap.
default_no.gif
default_sad.png

I've been ground driving Laci a lot lately, just in a halter for now. I tried the bit I have with her and she REALLY didn't like it-just a cheapie half cheek snaffle. I messed around with her mouth and she has a tiny tiny mouth with a low, low palate. I was thinking she might appreciate something like a very thin mullen mouth bit, but I wanted to check for other opinions.
Already stated "most snaffles that come with the harness are CRAP". They are too big around for one thing. A mini, especially one with a tiny mouth, needs something small. Are the thin (tiny) bits more severe? Yes, and no. They can be more severe but since they are more comfortable in the minis mouth if you train yourself to be light with your hands the thin bits are better for the minis.

I would suggest a mullen or even look at the low port bits. If you have extra pocket money a Myler mullen mouth is a little curved and claims to give more control because it is jointed on the ends. The french link is nice only if the horse will accept the pressure on the tongue. I went thru many bits and several months before finding something for my guy (at first) because he hated the pressure from the French link and fought the snaffle. After close to a year of driving, he will now use a snaffle.

The bit I have now is 3 1/2", and that seems to suit her okay I'll bet I could go down to a 3" though. Her palate is very low and's that's more concerning for me. I stuck my index finger in over her bars and it was pressing on both her palate and her tongue quite a bit-there's just next to no room in there.

How old is she??

Are you sure she does not have Lampas???

This is an inflammation of the roof of the mouth (the palate) and affects horses normally between three and ten years old but typically around seven IME.

It tends to clear up on it's own if left alone, but needs an eye kept on it.

I say this because Rabbit does have a small mouth, less then 3" wide and he has a short one as well, so has never been bitted (luckily no need to) but has a normal roof to his mouth.

Were I to be able to get a small enough, narrow enough bit he would be able to take it.

If you are in any doubt I would have it checked out.

Latest posts

Back