Neck sweating...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

little lady

Reaction score
What type of neck sweat, how long to leave on etc... When I had Paint horses I only had one that I had to sweat her throatlatch and that was very little. My one mini mare could use some "maintenance" neck sweating. What & how would you suggest going about doing this?

Last edited by a moderator:
bumping... as I would like to know this too. My big horses that were shown only needed throatlatches if that...my little guys...well...

let's just say need lots of work!

With my guys, it depends on how filled out they are through thier necks and stuff. I have some fillies that just need throat latches and some studs that need full neck sweats. I usually put sweats on while im working them and leave them on for 20min to a few hours depending on how bad they are. For just maintenance I will usually work them with a throat latch or a half neck sweat and leave it on for 45min to an hour after.

Some people are uncomfortable working horses with sweats on or sometimes it is too hot, if that is the case you can just put sweats on them for a few hours a day or some people will put them on over night. It takes a bit on trial and error and depends on what you are comfortable doing with your horses.

I use two sweats, a throatlatch sweat and a full neck sweat. I put them on one hour before I work him, leave them on during work and for one hour after work. I got my throatlatch sweat at supersweats.com (the very best sweats in the world, bar none) and got my full neck sweat on ebay. I will be replacing my full neck sweat with a supersweat for next year.

default_biggrin.png
Thanks!!

Here, I generally use a 3" throatlatch sweat followed by a 8" neck wrap. I generally leave these on 24/7, removing them long enough to dry out each day. Most of your miniature tack vendors carry neck wraps and sweats. If I need more sweating, I use a neck sweat designed for the horse to wear during workouts.

Thanks for the link Mominis. I've been looking for affordable sweats like those.

This is our first year showing miniatures & we already have a fast growing assortment of different wraps & sweats. We currently use the neo-neck sweat with a trash bag underneath, it is on usually for about 2 hours & she has a good sweat going on. At night we use the throat sweat & neck wrap to maintain. It is removed every morning.

I do have a throat wrap for Shake for overnighting, but he's only worn it once since May because the heat here has been so terrible. Thankfully, the supersweats have been doing their job. Maybe it will cool off enough before Nationals that we can use it. Otherwise, we are going as we are. No sense in making poor Shake uncomforatble in the heat.

Thanks for the replies. It is not for showing. I like Beckys plan as I think that will work best for this mare.

I asked this question quite a while ago and someone said to use hot water under the sweat, work them, then remove the sweat, don't leave it on. I am going to look for that post and see if I can add it on here, may help you? I haven't tried it and we are done showing for the year.

Here you go

This was from mominis, so if you have questions, perhaps you can PM her?

"Sure. You just sponge hot water (not so hot that it is uncomfortable to the horse, but just as hot as you can without causing discomfort) and immediately put the sweats on the horse. It does a couple of things. First, it immediately starts to warm the area covered by the sweat and keeps the heat trapped under the sweat so your horse will sweat more quickly. Second, it wets the hair which allows the sweat to start running more quickly. It works like a charm, doesn't do any damage to the hair shaft, and doesn't damage the sweats either. It is important to dip your sweats in a betadine/water solution and let them air dry after use to avoid the growth of bacteria on the sweat, but this is true for your sweats whether you use a product, water, or just use them bare".

Here you go

This was from mominis, so if you have questions, perhaps you can PM her?

"It is important to dip your sweats in a betadine/water solution and let them air dry after use to avoid the growth of bacteria on the sweat, but this is true for your sweats whether you use a product, water, or just use them bare".
I wash mine once a week and remove them daily to dry in the sun - there is no better disinfectant than sunlight. I haven't had any trouble with bacteria after doing this for years.

I agree, I would love to let mine dry in the sunlight. But one of the stable dogs is teething and I've lost 2 sponges and just barely rescued one of my neck sweats from becoming chew toys. So now they get hung up in the barn too high for the dog to get to. lol

How do you decide on what size throatlatch sweat to buy? (3", 6",..) Is it personal preference or depends on horse's neck?

What I love about those supersweats is that they don't come in mini size, they come in horse size and are easy to customize. I just ordered the weanling throatlatch sweat and trimmed it to fit both length-wise and width-wise. The velcro sticks anyplace on the sweats, so they are super simple to custom fit. I will be doing the same with the full neck that I'll be buying from them. I'm getting a new set from them for Shake and hubby is getting Armani a set too!

Latest posts

Back