Neck Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idahopinto

Reaction score
The 2 yr old mini that I purchased over the weekend was a stallion up until 3 weeks ago. I have seen pics of him as a yearling with a great neck but the neck he has now is huge and flabby. Is it possible to get the nice neck back? If so what do I need and what should I be doing?

With our big halter horses we use neck warmers 24/7 and then sweat when needed.

Thanks for all the help in this new venture into the mini horse world.

Timmery

HI, I HAD THE EXCAT SAME PROBLEM, IM CURRENTLY TRAINING HIM IN A NECK SWEAT,AND GROUND DRIVING HIM WITH OUT THE SIDE REINS AS I FEEL THAT WOULD MUSSCLE UP THE NECK TOO MUCH,ALSO MAYBE YOU SHOULD CONSIDER CUTTING BACK HIS FEED IF HE LOOKS TO OVERWEIGHT

THE FUNNY THING IS THOUGH MY GUY WAS THINNISH BUT STILL HAS A HUGE CREST THAT IS STARTING TO FALL OVER....GOOD LUCK!!!! :bgrin

has his neck crested over already (fallen on one side)

some people say this happens when a horse is very obese however most I have seen it with tend to be horses who are malnurished I am NOT saying starving but just those that need some weight and dont have any bloom that could just be conincidence

I have also seen this on horses with thyroid problems

has his neck crested over already (fallen on one side)

some people say this happens when a horse is very obese however most I have seen it with tend to be horses who are malnurished I am NOT saying starving but just those that need some weight and dont have any bloom that could just be conincidence

No it has not crested over. Just very thick and flabby.

I find the cresty necks come after an obese horse is put on a crash/starvation diet.

Robin

Latest posts

Back