Neat lights for barn

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AppyLover2

Reaction score
Since I thought this was such a good idea, I thought I'd share it.

My daughter has those rope lights (like you see in the stores at Christmas time) hanging in her barn. They are on a sensor so they come on when it starts getting dark. She has them run the length of the barn and they throw a rather dim light, but definitely enough for a "night light" for the horses. She said she's had them up for 2 years, so seems they may last for a while. I thought it was a great idea. Needless to say I'm watching for the Christmas stuff so I can get some.

I love those lights! I use them mainly during foaling season so the bright overhead lights dont have to be on so the mares can get some sleep. I need to get some more this year-thanks for the reminder.

I don't have a picture, but the husband made an arbor with a lattice "roof" over our back patio about 3 years ago and we strung a strand of rope-lights on the inside perimeter...it provides the most wonderful mood lighting...even grilled hamburgers and mac/cheese feels like a 5-course meal under the arbor!

Heidi

I was thinking about that too so last year at Christmas time I bought a box.

The warnings on the box were enough to scare me away from using them inside my barn. Just because there is a UL does not mean that they are 100% safe. I really like the look and I like the idea but I had to pass on that one.

Actually all Christmas lights make me nervous. I unplug everything when I'm not home.

http://www.interfire.org/features/recallvi...p?date=04232001

Last edited by a moderator:
Marty is smart to beware of these Christmas lights.

NOT ME! I put blue rope lights up for a barn party once and loved 'em so much I left 'em up.

(My wife did make me take down the black lights and disco ball.)

I'm terribly afraid of fires. Been in two fires and it is amazing on how fast a fire can destroy. These older homes especially, most have very poor unsafe wireing and it's easy to overload them. Christmas lights are very dangerous and trust me, we have over 500 strands here during the holidays so I'm not trying to be a party pooper., but I know what they can do. Everytime I leave my house just even to go to the bus stop to get the boys, I unplug the washer and dryer and stuff in the kitchen too. I made the boys get rid of most of their aquariums too because their rooms had an overload as well in there. I keep most lamps and radios and things unplugged that we don't normally use either. I guess this is overkill but I'm a bit of a fanatic about this stuff.

Latest posts

Back