Nationals VS. Worlds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
If you had AMHA & AMHR horses, so papers weren't an issue, and you had an equal amount of A and R shows in your area so that wasn't a problem either - would you choose to show at Nationals or Worlds?

What are the pros and cons of attending each? Is Worlds more expensive than Nationals like I heard? If you show a mini at Nationals should you expect to be placed lower than a mini whom has Shetland blood?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on your horse and what classes you show in, and how competitive you want to be. Some horses are more competitive in one registry or another. Others it doesn't matter.

It can be easier to qualify for Nationals. It can be less expensive at Nationals but distance could be a cost factor to you that might tip the scale otherwise.

I think it depends on the individual situation, I don't think one is better than another so show where you think you have an advantage.

Many of us here have gone to Nationals a few times (and LOVE it) and none of us have Shetlands and did pretty well. Minis basicly ARE Shetlands, lol- just with 'different' papers. If its a good horse, and is ready for that kind of competition, go for it- either one would be great.

Have been to both and both are great and enjoyable shows. It is much easier to qualify for Nationals, you only have to go, for the most part, to just two shows. Worlds are more expensive to show at and qualify for. Some types of horses do better at one or the other. I do think that Nationals are trending toward having to have ASPC type horses to win in halter classes. I know minis have mostly shetland blood but there is a big difference in the way many of today's pure shetlands and other minis look and most judges do seem to favor that shetland look. The stallion we showed last year has more of what you think of as the mini look but he did place fourth in his ammy class and just missed placing in the open class having a third and a tenth but lower from the third judge who had made him Champion at a show earlier in the season. It all depends on the day. If you are showing just Ammy or AOTE the competition is still tough but you have a better chance of placing. Either show is a fun experience so pick one and go if you can.

Latest posts

Back