Nationals and World shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birchcrestminis

Reaction score
I have a question - why are the National and World

shows held in Oklahoma and Texas every year? Just wondering.

I showed shetland sheepdogs for many years,and the National

show moved around the country every year. Sometimes it was across

the country from me, other times it was right in my backyard so to

speak. I'm sure there are many good reasons why the National and World

show are where they are - but what are those reasons - thanks.

World show used to rotate every year. The most obvious reason to keep it in one place is booking the kind of facility necessary to host this caliber show. They stay booked years in advance and prefer having a long term contract with the breed associations. Most of the big breed world & national shows now are in Texas or OK. - Quarter horse world is in OK City, youth world in Ft Worth, APHA, Palomino, Appy, Andalusian, and more I can't think of are held in Ft Worth, OK City or Tulsa. I know the Ok City fairgrounds did a major remodel years ago after AQHA agreed to sign on and stay there for their World show instead of relocating to Ft Worth. All have great facilities, relatively good climates and a horse supportive community. Lots of horse folks have relocated to the north Texas/OK area (in all breeds) where they can ride/train year round.

There are certainly arguments to be made for rotating it as well, but securing a facility the size and quality of Will Rogers on an every third year basis is hard to do, and while I'm not in a position to know, I would guess they make some price concessions for a long term contract.

Jan

Thanks for your reply Jan, thats just what I wanted to know.
default_saludando.gif

I also feel that having it somewhere central makes it not such a burden on the people on the opposite coast.

I can't imagine living on the east coast and having to drive my horses all the way to the west coast. I know the horses are just worn out by the time they get to Texas.

When Nationals(AMHA and AMHR) use to rotate, what were some of the locations they used? Just curious.......

I am one of those East Coasters that went. I flew, but the horses drove. I am from Maine, so about as far away as you can get besides Canada. That said, I am happy to make the trip to compete at a facility like the Will Rogers. If you have never been there, there is no way to explain it. Thinks of the largest facility you can imagine and multiply that by 100. It is ridiculous. With everything being cement, it is not the most attractive place, but I think the cement keeps the insides of the barn a lot cooler.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the former locales for the AMHA World Show besides Will Rogers:

Ogden, Utah - 1992 (the horses and we flew)

VA Horse Park in Lexington, VA

Reno (went there twice. Once the horses flew, the next time they drove - UGH!)

Oklahoma in 1991

Columbus, OH

I would love to see both shows rotate. 24 hour plus drive isn't fun and is hard on the horses, compared to those driving 6-8. Why couldn't the breed managers work together to set up a rotation? After all, I pay just as many dues and fees as the folks living in Oklahoma, Arkansas and TX, and should be able to have the show in MY back yard too!

A rotation between Tulsa, Columbus OH, and somewhere in the West would be fantastic.

But with the AMHR president living in Arkansas, and the AMHA being mostly trainers anymore, that probably won't happen.

Just isn't feasible to do. Acceptable facilities with TWO free weekends around sept/oct don't exist, and they are very adverse to short term contracts. We even looked at moving the AMHA show somewhere else and there isn't a place out there that fits the requirements, costs the same or less, and has available dates. Believe it or not, if you look at the map, OKC is just about in the center of the country, and Will Rogers isn't all that far south. I live very near Columbus, OH, and was so happy in 1994 when the show was here, and then was so embarassed by the condition of the fairgrounds. They were filthy, crap everywhere, had to try 4 showers before I found one that wasn't cold water only, just terrible. Of course, right after, for Quarter Horse Congress, they cleaned it up.

The arabs used to rotate east and west, and no longer do that, they moved, I think to OKC or maybe Tulsa, not sure, for the same reasons.

The Will Rogers facility is kept immaculate, crews sweep every barn every day, everything is well maintained, the staff very nice.

Now that people are clamoring for the return of the 5 judge system, if we do go back to that, we will have to look at other ways to save money to avoid raising fees, maybe eliminate the plaques or ribbons for top ten? Eliminate the dates on the ribbons so they can be used the following year.

The BOD is meeting by phone this Wednesday to discuss that plus the Regional shows among other topics.

Go back to the 5 judge system?????????? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good grief! What idiocy! Pay for 5 judges and throw away 2 of what you paid for? We are all rich, Right?

And PLEEEEEEAAAASE don't reduce the awards! They are awesome!

I was very pleased with the judges placings this year. I checked a lot of the classes judge's placings and with the rotating judges it kept a more level playing field. We had somewhat less of the 'one guy gets it all' and I felt a more fair show over all.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this subject. Back to facilities, I just know from trying to find facilities just for the local shows here in Oklahoma it is next to impossible to get a decent (or even not decent) facility if you don't sign a long term contract with them. The facilities aren't out looking for events....they all have more than they can accommodate so we have to work at getting in.

Charlotte

I liked it too, but many don't and had petitions going.

I would think as stated earlier, that climate plays a factor in a location. We only go to AMHR Nationals, so that has been in Tulsa. The temp there in early September can get quite chilly. Imagine if the show was held anywhere furthur north???? It would be very hard to bathe, clip and show a horse in a colder climate. I have seen alot of horse hauled from up north that have winter woolies on them in September. So, that said, I think a southern state is better. JMO

As large as the National show is there are very very few places that can handle the show, additionally having it in the center of the US is a fair way to do things IMHO.

Additionally the World Show is in Ft Worth, which is close to the home office, which makes it easy for the office along with being large enough and central enough for a lrger number of people.

If you start moving it from one side of the country to the other, I am afraid you will lose a lot of people and horses. The trainers would love it though as the mileage charge would sure mount quickly. LOL
default_new_shocked.gif

and the AMHA being mostly trainers anymore, that probably won't happen.
My ammy classes at World this year had 30-50 entries. The open classes that were equivalent to my ammy classes had similar numbers. Mostly trainers, I don't think so! Maybe at the local shows in your area?

As far as rotating locations, I don't know of any big horse registries that do. I think the Arabians used to, possibly still do? But AQHA, APHA, ApHC, AQHYA, etc all stay in one location. I think PHBA, NRHA, etc also all stay in one location.

I think the Arabians used to, possibly still do?
Actually, the Arabian National Show is moving to Tulsa! Starting in just a few days! The show runs October 17-25, 2008. What a show that will be. I just might have to make a run to Tulsa to see.
default_smile.png

As has been stated, it is virtually impossible to rotate locations. Price and dates are the two biggest factors as well has having a suitable facility to house 1000+ horses.

Thanks Becky. I've been out of the big horses for quite a few years, and while I did ride two Arabians, I never did show them, so wasn't sure. I sure would love to watch Arabian Nationals!!!!

Stephanie, lets plan a day and you, me, Becky and anyone else who wants to can make a run up to Tulsa to watch Arabs
default_smile.png
Mini day, you know?
default_rolleyes.gif
:OKinteresting

Charlotte

Charlotte, Becky count me in would love to go for the day and watch--being a former Arab owner. Can I come please
default_wink.png
, if a weekday just let me know so I can tell the boss I'm going to play hooky that day.

Davie

Wish I were closer to Tulsa LOL.......

We did get over for some of the Andalusian Nationals in Ft Worth a few years ago, absolutely breathtaking horses although it was a surprisingly small show.

Jan

Latest posts

Back