Nasty people

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow Glen

Reaction score
default_sad.png
O.k so was wondering if anyone has had this or sumthing similar happen to them, It is my 2nd season showing minis I had a great season last year with my yearling colt and he came 6th for overall high points somthing I didnt even no about until I was on the website showing it I was so stocked we had won many champions etc threw the year and had a great nationals so getting that was an added bonus, so this year I am showing 3 ( really keen now) I show my horses because I love it not to go out and win every time placing is a bonus, I am always nice and plesant, helpful always congratulate people even my competition and genually feel happy for them I put ALOT of work into my 3 minis preparing them for shows which sumtimes is hard as I am a dairy farmer and a mother of a 2yr old I take great pride in what I do and how my horses behave and look I can say I have made great friends with 2 ladies and we cheer for each other and are always supported of each other even when we compete against each other.

So getting to my point at the last show I went to I caught up with them and they thought I should no what they had been told,They had rung a lady about a show coming up in our area and got talking to this lady and she ask who had won supreme at a certain show and my friend told her it was me ( this had been my first Supreme with my boy and was ssssooooooo stocked) The lady then said to my friend ( not knowing I new her) That she just could'nt believe I had won and WHO did I think I was and that I had no right to win a supreme because I had been showing minis for like 5miniutes and that her daughter had been showing for 8 years and had put way more effort in than I had and they had only just started winning supremes and that i shouldnt even have been aloud it, I was gob smacked and so where my friends they told her stop being so rash and that she was being to harsh and that I had deserved it, THis lady is somone I have always admired and looked up to ( not anymore) and her horses and is always so nice to me I think that is what shocked me the most how can somone be so fake, I dont even compete agaisnt her horses so dont even no why she would have a problem with me.

I dont really no what to make of it is she jelouse I dont no I havent let it get to me just needed to vent I guess and wondered what others thouhgt of this situation and what anyone else would do, I dont no how I'm going to face this lady in 2 days when i see her next I no I'll have to pretend I'm please to see her even thou I wont be, I've heard of people being like this but have never experienced it I guess its welcome to thw wold of horse showing,

Sorry if this is long winded and thank you to anyone who read all the way threw just needed to get this out.

Yep, she's jealous and she's probably dying to know what horses you are showing this year, and wondering if you'll be in the same classes. Don't let her upset you. Some people never do learn that someone else's success doesn't take away from their own! If you show, you WILL run into those types of people, but happily, most of "us" are pretty nice
default_yes.gif
Plus, now that you know this one's true colors, it will probably be extra sweet when you place over her and her horses... I know that may sound petty but I also know that for me, those have been among the sweetest wins
default_biggrin.png

I would wonder why your friends told you this. Gossip pure and simple. I would try my best to forget what they have said and go about as it didn't happen. Maybe the lady said it and maybe she didn't. Maybe what she said was taken out of context. Since she is just an acquaintance. I would go about as normal. I certainly would not hold this against her. I would be watching your "friends" more closely as I don't see why they would have told you this except to make you feel badly toward her.

Always remember...there are two sides to a story and the truth lies somewhere in the middle

If you listen to the gossip it will just make you nuts. I have had similar things happen to me and now I just go show myself and I don't listen to the stupid stuff anymore. What they are trying to do is probably psyche you out but if you ignore it, it will go away. Go have fun and may the best horse win and it will most likely be you and that will make THEM nuts. Plus always congratulate the winner or at least make an attempt to then if you win and they don't people will see how they truly are.

I just ignore people like that....I do not say a word, is not worth it.

You did good....and sadly a lot of people are poor loosers, I know it is hard but take what they say with a grain of salt.

there's at least one of those at every show... i wouldn't be too concerned by it. I wouldn't even mention that you know about it. Just grin when you kick their butts and know who the real winner is (all the way around). You know if she's saying this stuff about you..she probably say's it about everyone else that wins as well!

But i have found with people like that its fun to beat them sorry but that is what i like to do

the high and mighty get beat by the people that like to have fun doing it

frustrates them
default_yes.gif

I agree with Dawn. It IS fun to beat them because you know it really grates on them..and you know what.. you deserve it just as much as the next person!!

Nasty people tend to come out of the woodwork when you are having a success, especially if they feel more justified in having it.

For example, last Summer when my little colt was doing so well (he was five months old and basically swept the show in his gender and size division (under)). This one person, who I didn't really have a problem with before, took it upon herself to come cattily tell me "that judge LOVES to pin babies, congratulations, though"... as if the only reason he GOT the ribbons was because he WAS a baby. I didn't think so and still, that didn't explain the other judge's placings.
default_rolleyes.gif

I tell you, you will learn more about people's true colors when they are on the downside of things than you will when they're on top.

I truly enjoy seeing everyone win, and while I'm disappointed when I don't, I would NEVER go say something like that to anyone. I might WANT to in some cases, for example this lady, now, but even when I feel like I had the better horse, I realize that everyone gets their time in the spotlight and try to smile and congratulate them.

Sorry you had to deal with that. Sounds like this person is a very poor sport. Hopefully she can grow up and be a better example to her daughter.

Congratulations, btw!

Liz

she just could'nt believe I had won and WHO did I think I was and that I had no right to win a supreme because I had been showing minis for like 5miniutes and that her daughter had been showing for 8 years and had put way more effort in than I had and they had only just started winning supremes and that i shouldnt even have been aloud it

Oh my, I didn't realize that the people who had been showing longest were the ones supposed to be winning!
default_rolleyes.gif
:DOH!

She's just envious, don't even pay any attention to that sort of thing. Also remember that you heard it second-hand, you don't know for sure what she really said. Just enjoy your win, that's awesome!
default_biggrin.png

A comment like that would make me work even harder to whip her tale in classes!!! I love good competition!!!

I also have a group of friends that I show with, we ALWAYS cheer for each other. Sometimes we even bet against each other!!! Loser owes the winner a king size Snickers bar.
default_biggrin.png

Just go, show, and have fun. Isn't that why we do it????

Thanks guys I agree wih you all,I feel so much better now thanks for letting me vent its always good to get it out. THANKS you guys are the best.

Hey Willow Glen

I'm not sure if we've met at any shows yet (most likely, NZ is a small country, and we live in the 'upper Waikato/lower Franklin area), but if I were you, I'd be smiling all over my face!
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_yes.gif

We started showing minis 5 years ago. The first ever mini show we turned up at, we knew no-one. We took out Supreme Champion with our new little stallion that day. Believe me, we got some looks! And we laughed all the way home!! Was the best thing we'd done in ages.

We made some friends that day (some genuine, some not...), and we've made some more since.

Not long after that first show, someone tried to protest us in a colour class (same horse, he sure looked good!
default_biggrin.png
) Again, we shrugged it off. We'd already been involved in the Dog Obedience world for some time, long enough to know jealousy when we saw it. Again, we didn't let it put us off. And again, we laughed all the way home.

We're still showing, we still love it, we associate with the people we like, and ignore those we don't. It's no biggie.

When people are talking about you, it's because they are scared or jealous of you. Smile to yourself, feel a bit sorry for them (but not too much), and keep showing for all you're worth!
default_biggrin.png

Good luck with the rest of the season, no doubt we'll bump into each other soon.
default_smile.png

Hey Willow Glen

I'm not sure if we've met at any shows yet (most likely, NZ is a small country, and we live in the 'upper Waikato/lower Franklin area), but if I were you, I'd be smiling all over my face!
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_yes.gif

We started showing minis 5 years ago. The first ever mini show we turned up at, we knew no-one. We took out Supreme Champion with our new little stallion that day. Believe me, we got some looks! And we laughed all the way home!! Was the best thing we'd done in ages.

We made some friends that day (some genuine, some not...), and we've made some more since.

Not long after that first show, someone tried to protest us in a colour class (same horse, he sure looked good!
default_biggrin.png
) Again, we shrugged it off. We'd already been involved in the Dog Obedience world for some time, long enough to know jealousy when we saw it. Again, we didn't let it put us off. And again, we laughed all the way home.

We're still showing, we still love it, we associate with the people we like, and ignore those we don't. It's no biggie.

When people are talking about you, it's because they are scared or jealous of you. Smile to yourself, feel a bit sorry for them (but not too much), and keep showing for all you're worth!
default_biggrin.png

Good luck with the rest of the season, no doubt we'll bump into each other soon.
default_smile.png
Hi Wiccanz,

Thanks for that I think I no who you are so am bound to see you at the next show if I see you I'll come up and say hi THANKS,

Cheers Emma

Hey there Emma!

Im pretty sure I know who you are talking about...there are some people out there that just cant be content with what happens in the ring.

I went through my share of nasty stuff last year with showing and believe me it was just about enough to put me off.

But the main thing I learnt is too be a duck and let it all roll off your back.(its not easy sometimes I know!)

I've enjoyed talking with you and your family before and am looking foward to seeing you again soon. As you know I really like DJ and am very pleased you are doing well.

Chin up my friend,see you soon
default_saludando.gif

Just ignore them, keep smiling and having fun. Some people get off on getting others angry or flustered. Dont lower yourself to their level and continue to be the good sport you are. It will drive them nuts. Oh and congratulate them sincerely when they win.

Oh, yeah, we know what you're going through. 2006 at Worlds my friend won the AOTE Single Pleasure class with her stallion. A mutual "friend" came up and told her "Oh, that class was too easy. My class had much more competition"... GOOD GRIEF!

She's also been catty to others- told another friend who begged to borrow HOOF BLACK so she wouldn't miss her class at Regionals that "she didn't have much left and might need it later, and didn't want to open a new bottle before Nationals (SHE OWNS A TACK STORE- she didn't even have to go BUY it!), so, nope. Deb offered to BUY the bottle. Nope. Fortunately another lady gave her a bottle. Deb won her class.... I will NEVER buy a single thing from that store again. Good sportsmanship can go a long way. Bad sportsmanship WILL come back to bite you in the butt.

Lucy

Hey there Emma!

Im pretty sure I know who you are talking about...there are some people out there that just cant be content with what happens in the ring.

I went through my share of nasty stuff last year with showing and believe me it was just about enough to put me off.

But the main thing I learnt is too be a duck and let it all roll off your back.(its not easy sometimes I know!)

I've enjoyed talking with you and your family before and am looking foward to seeing you again soon. As you know I really like DJ and am very pleased you are doing well.

Chin up my friend,see you soon
default_saludando.gif
Thanks Helen I look forward to seeing you to you always do a great job with your babies and always find my self watching you in the ring if I'm not in there to see how your doing, are you going to all the premier north island shows coming up I am so will proberly see you there, THANKS and also to everyone else who has written to me I feel much better and it has certainly made me want to go out there and prove myself more weather I win or lose.
default_biggrin.png

Congratulations on your wins!

I had to learn to not pay attention to people at the shows as well.

One of them being an old trainer... who instead of congratulating me winning my first driving class and receiving a plaque.... she was mad and said that my mare was too close to her stallion(there was always an excuse). I was never too close and seems funny that a trainer would say something like that. I was in tears. She said this as I was walking out of the ring with my plaque smiling from ear to ear. My husband was livid and wanted nothing more to do with anymore shows or her... of course, I still wanted to show, but like you I don't want to deal with the pettiness(which will always be there). Bad thing for me was my horse was on her trailer and had to go back to her barn.

I was in the barn and three ladies walked up to me.. congratulated me and told me that my go was the best and how much they loved my horse and how nice we looked. So there was a silver lining.

Good luck on your next show season and just keep on winning. Gives the petty ones something to talk about.
default_smile.png

Kim

Latest posts

Back