Nail and string trick on a pregnant mare??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chelley

Reaction score
Anyone heard of or tried the nail on a string thing to see if a mare is bred and whether she will have a filly or a colt? Someone told me to try it on my pregnant mares and just wondering who has done it and the results...and also which way the nail swings is supposed to mean what?

Its for entertainment purposes only. There is no correlation between results and foal sex. 50% chance you're right, 50% chance you aren't.

I use thread and a needle.

Results here have been better than 50% and performed against the lady who did an external ultra sound, we showed mares bred which the ultra sound lady said were not.

Likely just as Nathan says but I do it anyway
default_saludando.gif
default_laugh.png

The times I've done it on my horses, it has actually been correct more often than not... the time I did it on my sister, it was wrong
default_biggrin.png

It has been more right then wrong for me. My mom has a mare that if I do it on who is always opposit of what it said. I did it on myself and it was right.

Totally wrong most times when I've done it. It told me open mares were bred, bred mares were open....if it did actually say "bred" on the bred mares it generally had the sex wrong. As far as I was concerned that wasn't even worth doing just for fun & so I haven't tried it since--and won't be.

I do it all the time & I've only been wrong once. It has also been confirmed with ultrasound. Girl it goes in a circle normally clockwise. Boy goes in the direction of head to tail not across the horse hip to hip. I do it in front of the left hip. I have fun doing it.

I have several friends that do it using a gold ring , its mostly wrong but they only do it for a laugh
default_biggrin.png
I wouldnt waste my time
default_rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back