Mysterious Shoulder Injury

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponygurl

Reaction score
About a week ago I noticed my horse had a strange thing going with his shoulder. I had the woman whom I bought him from out yesterday and she said she had never seen something like this in her life. The vet who came out today didn't have any idea as to what it could be either. He is going to call the U of M and see if they know what it could be, but I won't hear back from him for a few days. SOOO if any of you guys recognize what is going on with his shoulder please let me know!! Has your horse done this before??

P7050325.jpg
P7100339.jpg

Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is he able to move around normally?

Is he able to eat hay off the ground?

It looks like his shoulder is out of socket? Do you have a chiropractor?

Friend had a horse get cast against a wall, mare popped up immediately...then had trouble walking around and eating off the ground. Vet and local chiro worked with her, didnt progress much...then she came here to board for few weeks while owner was away. Gary Fleur, does dental and chiro was in the area so had him come see the mare. He said her right shoulder was out bad...adjusted her, said give her some banamine that day, should be fine. I walked her out to a paddock next day, turned her loose, cleaned stalls...heard sound of running horses...looked out...there that mare was running around...caught a pic of her with all 4 feet off the ground....she was fine after that. Amazing, Gary was right on...was so cool to see her pain free again.

Just a thought.

Good luck,

Connie

Is he able to move around normally?

Is he able to eat hay off the ground?

It looks like his shoulder is out of socket? Do you have a chiropractor?

Friend had a horse get cast against a wall, mare popped up immediately...then had trouble walking around and eating off the ground. Vet and local chiro worked with her, didnt progress much...then she came here to board for few weeks while owner was away. Gary Fleur, does dental and chiro was in the area so had him come see the mare. He said her right shoulder was out bad...adjusted her, said give her some banamine that day, should be fine. I walked her out to a paddock next day, turned her loose, cleaned stalls...heard sound of running horses...looked out...there that mare was running around...caught a pic of her with all 4 feet off the ground....she was fine after that. Amazing, Gary was right on...was so cool to see her pain free again.

Just a thought.

Good luck,

Connie
Yes, He doesn't limp, isn't bothered if his shoulder is poked and prodded. He walks, trots, canters, gallops, etc perfectly fine. He just has a shortened stride is all. He doesn't have any trouble with anything, he still eats off the ground and continues like nothing happened. It's just weird is all, but I need to get him fixed otherwise I can't show him, and he isn't being worked until I get this figured out :/

Do you have a chiro in your area? Wonder if warm compresses and deep tissue massage would make him more comfortable...loose?

Keep us posted on what you find out!

Is that bump hard like bone? Hard like fibrous tissue? Soft? Did it appear suddenly? Is there muscle wasting around it making it look like a bump or is it truly a bump? The location appears to be along the scapula rather than near the actual shoulder "socket".

Is that bump hard like bone? Hard like fibrous tissue? Soft? Did it appear suddenly? Is there muscle wasting around it making it look like a bump or is it truly a bump? The location appears to be along the scapula rather than near the actual shoulder "socket".

Yes the bump is completely hard, you can feel the shoulder joint or whichever joint that is in the front of his chest. You can also feel the scapula, which is what I noticed first. I believe it appeared suddenly, I noticed it when I was brushing him for some pictures almost a week ago and I contacted the woman I bought him from immediatly and she came out and in all of her years of carings and showing miniatures she had never seen anything like it so the next day I had the vet out and he wasn't sure either because it's like he dislocated his shoulder but he's not lame! We can't figure it out
no.gif

Yes the bump is completely hard, you can feel the shoulder joint or whichever joint that is in the front of his chest. You can also feel the scapula, which is what I noticed first. I believe it appeared suddenly, I noticed it when I was brushing him for some pictures almost a week ago and I contacted the woman I bought him from immediatly and she came out and in all of her years of carings and showing miniatures she had never seen anything like it so the next day I had the vet out and he wasn't sure either because it's like he dislocated his shoulder but he's not lame! We can't figure it out
no.gif
It's possible he fractured the spine of the scapula and it is now healing with a bony callus. Can't really x-ray but might try ultrasound. If that's what it is it won't go away unfortunately.

Ok...well we think we know what is going on. My vet emailed this morning and said he is thinking it is something called "Sweeney". I did some research on this, and here's some of it:

Sweeney is the common name for shoulder atrophy (shrinkage or wasting) in the horse. The muscle atrophy is caused by damage to the suprascapular nerve which innervates to the infraspinatus and supraspinatus muscles. These muscles are found on the scapula or shoulder blade of the horse, on either of the spine or bony ridge of the scapula. When these muscle atrophy, the shape of the scapula becomes noticeable by the hollowing on each side of the spine of the scapula. The pictures below illustrates the loss of muscle on the shoulder blade and the distict spine of the scapula.

Sweeney006.jpg
Sweeney008.jpg

The nerve damage is commonly caused by horses colliding with other horses or objects.....ie stall doors, trees...etc. Nerve damage is also caused by ill fitting work collars putting pressure on the nerve. This is seen in horses which are used to pull wagons, carts and freight.

Pain may or may not be present in the affected limb. As the muscles atrophy worsens, the horse may have difficulty extending the forelimb. Also, horses may swing their shoulder out due to instability or loosening of the shoulder joint from lack of muscle and ligament tone.

Treatment of sweeney involves anti-inflammatories and physical therapy. Nerves can heal and possibly even regenerate if the injury is not too extensive and enough time is allowed. Muscle massage and electrical stimulation has been used. For cases with extensive scarring, surgery can be performed to release the nerve and hopefully regain function. In the case of a poorly fitted collar, rest and a properly adjusted collar is indicated.

I read another blog and other people were talking about some of their horses that were diagnosed with sweeney shoulder and they used chiropractics, equine massage therapy, and others. I hope the vet comes back with some not so expensive treatment plans...

Thats very interesting. I would also look into equine acupuncture. My vet does both chiro and acupuncture and I believe she does the electric stimulus too. Its a very very light current that's used. Keep us posted and good luck! I hope your little guy gets better soon

Yes this is what I was getting at when I asked about muscle wasting as sometimes what looks like a bump is actually a receding of the soft tissue around it. Sweeney is usually caused by a direct blow to the scapula so there may be some bone damage too. Acupuncture wouldn't be a bad thing to try.

Thank you everyone for your help!! I will keep you guys posted, the vet should be getting back to me sometime today or tomorrow, so I will let you know what we decide! I'm really hoping this won't be a permanent thing, I was really hoping ot show him this year, but now it's just important that his hsoulder heals and he's ok. When I took care of him this morning he still wasn't limping or anything, so hopefully it won't turn painful... He did decide to mess up his mane and take the braid out of his forelock! Got to love little boys!
wub.gif

Latest posts

Back