Myrna....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking at the photo on my iPod so I couldn't see it very well. There is a photo of the clearance of our Better Fit saddle on my website. Go to the Links page and there is a link to see my harnesses up close.

Myrna

I sure don't want to hog a mini site with my pony, but I thought some of you would want to see the "finished" product from our show this weekend (Villa Louis Carriage Classic).

IMG_0186.JPG

Chad drove Angel because I stress out too much and he wanted her to have a good first show and not be stressed out by me. We borrowed the cart and harness for the show and will build her own vehicle this winter. There were 9 small ponies in his division (up to 13.2), including at least two that have competed at Walnut Hill (very tough division!). They were 2nd in Cones and Gambler's Choice Obstacles (in front of those Walnut Hill ponies!), 5th in Turnout and Reinsmanship, and didn't place in Cross Country. She had too long a stall at the water crossing (fault points), but did go eventually on her own across the water (first time in a "water hazard"). Chad scratched her out of Working Pleasure because she was a little edgy in the arena classes with all the stimuli, and again, he wanted her to have a good experience. The above photo is in Reinsmanship. She was a bit upheaded for most of the class (needs relaxation in the arena), but definitely more comfortable in the Strong Trot. She just flew past the other ponies in the ring! She was also more comfortable in the obstacles. We can't wait to put more experience on her to get her more round and on the vertical. She is going to be awesome and so much fun!

I will put more photos on our website soon.

Myrna

Gorgeous! Thanks so much for the update. She is going to be awesome. Please, please, please keep us updated
default_smile.png
If not here (I think here is fine)Are you on Facebook?

Angie

In the big picture, LB includes ponies, so it is only logical that the LB driving board include driving ponies.

You'd better keep posting about this gorgeous girl or we'll hunt ya down!

Thanks guys. I'm not on Facebook. My husband has an account he rarely checks, but I dasn't get started on that. I would never get anything else done!
default_laugh.png

Just a quick update....we could really use some prayers for Angel.
default_hypocrite.gif
default_please.gif
She is in "ICU" right now with her colon dislocated. So far they are treating her with fluids as she is dehydrated, have oiled her as well as there may be an impaction that is causing the dislocation. Hopefully her colon will move back into place on its own. If it doesn't, we are looking at surgery. $$$$
default_pray.gif
:pray:pray

She is a very brave, stoic little pony. Her only "symptoms" were that she wouldn't eat (what pony doesn't eat?!) and went off water, too. She pawed at the ground just a little bit, and passed less manure. Who would have thought those symptoms would indicate such an emergency trip to the horse hospital! (My son didn't even know there was a horse hospital.) She has had all her treatments so far without any "happy juice" (sedation). Good little girl!

Thanks,

Myrna

Thoughts and prayer sent for your girl. We love having her 'here' and watching her grow with you guys. Please keep up updated. Hugs to your son. I have a young horse helper here and can imagine how hard it is on him.

Angie

Myrna, our thoughts and prayers are definitely with Angel and your family.

Oh Myrna, this is not the kind of update we want to read, I am so sorry she is unwell
default_no.gif
. I hope Angel is hurrying down the road to complete recovery this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, guys.
wub.gif

At 6:00 a.m. this morning we received an update that Angel had passed the oil she was tubed with, but no stool yet. She still hasn't needed pain meds, so you'd never guess she was sick other than her full water bucket. Such a tough girl! The clinic has been contacting Chad's cell, so I don't have any more news than that as he is out working. I guess no news is good news. I'll let you all know.

What blows me away about this whole thing is that from her symptoms, I would have considered this to be an extremely mild colic and that's it. We called the vet out for Angel because we were concerned about her dehydration. In the middle of the pelvic exam he said, "Good thing the trailer is hooked up. You're going south [of our place to the vet hospital]." He found that things were out of place inside her, which has a number of causes, but apparently not a management issue on our part. (Phew!) We're glad we didn't wait any longer to have him out!

This whole process makes me think two things: 1) ALWAYS keep a watchful eye on your horses' behaviors (we do, but/and she was SOOOO subtle!) and 2) call the vet about ANYTHING ouf of normal. You just never know if it is something worse than it is (but I also don't want to turn into one of those people who panics about everything...
default_rolleyes.gif
). The drs. said that the draftier the horse is, the more likely they are to be stoic. I would have never guessed that. I think it makes it a whole lot harder when they don't exhibit typical pain behaviors. It's a lot easier to blow it all off! We once had a mini with an impaction and the vet super saturated him with IV solution and he spew out all over the wall after a day. He was down rolling, thrashing, etc. before he was treated! Apparently, he was a wimp!
default_laugh.png

Ironically, we also had a little gelding who pulled a tendon yesterday, and is now on stall/sm. paddock rest. AND we had a yearling kitten disappear for a few days only to come back last week with what seems to be her "gaskin" (or whatever its called in cats) broke. She is getting around the house well, though. We didn't take her to the vet because we have been through this before (broken cat legs) and we aren't going to put $300 into a barn cat (we're going to need it for Angel!). We have a cow vet friend who says, "Put the cat and the leg in the same room and it'll heal."
default_laugh.png
Bad things happen in threes, so we are done, right?
default_unsure.png

Myrna

Wow, rough week for you and your animals Myrna. I hope the passing of oil will prove to be a good thing and a sign that things are on the mend. Poor kitty, hope it has enough of its 9 lives left to use the wisdom it no doubt garnered from whatever escapade led to this sad turn of events.

3 is more than enough, I vote you're done for a while now.
default_wacko.png

I just read this, Myrna -- I hope she continues being a tough girl and gets that colon back into place! I'll be thinking of and pulling for her.

I have had a couple of very stoic mares go through some hard times both with colic and reactions, and although they don't SHOW they are in pain, one can tell by the elevated pulse rate etc...that the pain is there...as in your mare's case. What concerns me, is that they are not helping with her pain...sure, she is "taking it", but should she HAVE TO?

How is she doing today??

We picked up Angel yesterday. No surgery!!! Thank you all for your prayers!

She is in her own paddock next to the other horses. She has to be fed a little bit at a time to get her system going again. Her stool is a bit loose, but we figure that is because of all the fluids pumped into her system. She isn't overly ambitious, but I guess I wouldn't be either if I had just gone through that (and it is rainy and yucky, so she is very happy in her shed/stall.). Wednesday, we can start her back on concentrates. We gave her the choice of the automatic waterer or a full bucket in her stall (open to the paddock and waterer). She hasn't touched the bucket, but that is typical of all our horses once they have the waterer. They like that better. And I didn't want to lock her in the stall because I figured she could really use the movement around the paddock and seeing/being with the other horses. I'm going to hand graze her later when it isn't raining.

I have had a couple of very stoic mares go through some hard times both with colic and reactions, and although they don't SHOW they are in pain, one can tell by the elevated pulse rate etc...that the pain is there...as in your mare's case. What concerns me, is that they are not helping with her pain...sure, she is "taking it", but should she HAVE TO?
That's just it. There was no elevated heart rate, no fever, no rapid breathing. Just less gut sounds and dehydration. That's why I never would have suspected that her symptoms warrented a trip to one of the best equine hospitals in the state.
default_yes.gif
When they took blood, her white blood cell count was a bit off, but not by much. They said that could be caused by the dehydration. They told us that they have had drafts that walk in the clinic and don't show pain, only to take their pulse and by all accounts should be having a heart attack. Those are immediate candidates for surgery.

Myrna

Oh Myrna, I had no idea you were having such a tough time! I slipped over to this thread to ooggle your beautiful horse again and saw all what you have been going through! Hope you are out of the woods now!

Take care and keep us posted!
default_wub.png

glad to know she's getting better and at home w/o surgery! Sending "jingles" your way that your "threesome" of mishaps is now done!!!

Take care.

Latest posts

Back