Myrna....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivin*me*buggy

Reaction score
Pretty please
default_smile.png
I LOVE Welsh
default_wub.png

I just joined Facebook, after being a long time hold out so I could see more of a friend's filly- a Friesian Sport horse and drool over her, so I'd love to drool over your mare here
default_smile.png

Please
default_rolleyes.gif

Angie

Haha! Angie, you'll have to friend me. I've got lots of pix of both my boys on there and post daily about Turbo's training saga. It's Leia Gibson and you can't miss me, my profile pic is the same as my avatar here.

I want to see her too, Myrna!

Leia

Ok, you talked me into it. The only photos I have are "practice" ones. I was hoping to post more "show" shots. I don't even have her on our website yet because the photos are not very flattering (of me and the equipment, not the pony!
default_laugh.png
) (Yes, I AM wearing shorts and I DO have a bit of a tan on my legs!)

Introducing UTS X-treme Angel - 12.3 Section C Welsh Pony (of Cob type)

IMG_5676resize.jpg

IMG_5696resize.jpg

IMG_5707resize.jpg

We were looking for a pony to "replace" my mom's 48" Shetland, but this mare came along and Chad just fell in love with her. Angel was not love at first sight for me as I wanted a finer pony, but now that we have her, it is so much fun to have this much power. We've never had a cob type horse before, so having that big butt in front of us is different.
default_wub.png
She was trained by Katie Berry and Klaus Biesenthal, so this is the first horse we have had that was professionally trained, not by us, but it is fun to get in the cart and just work on finishing. She is stiff on one side (typical), still "pulling" and not always on her butt, but she has an awesome natural walk, is VERY forward without being nuts, and tremendous motion (I was still taking it easy with her in these photos, as we had only had her a couple of days).

She doesn't exactly fit in my traditional pony equipment, but she fits in the mini marathon vehicle. Yea! This cart is out of scale for her, and I have our big horse's harness on her, but it is drawn all the way up. We are hoping to borrow equipment from some friends to take her to Villa Louis in Sept. Chad said he wants to show her this pleasure show once, and then he pretty much wants to do CDEs with her and I get to do the pleasure shows. We want to build a four-wheel vehicle for her this winter and decide what to do about a harness. We may go all out for her!
default_biggrin.png
I was thinking about a black phaeton box with burgundy or cranberry undercarriage. Oh, and I have to get a new hat! I have all this blue for Alax, but alas nothing along the lines of red..... (tee-hee-hee!)

Myrna

Last edited by a moderator:
She's lovely!
default_wub.png
I am jealous....you are tiny, can you ride her too?

Please keep us updated on her, I think we need pix once a month at least
default_yes.gif
Is Alax jealous?

The carriage you are planning sounds heavenly!

Angie

PS, Leia, I will 'friend' you
default_saludando.gif

Thank you.

I wouldn't call me "tiny", but average. Yes, I should be able to ride Angel, but that really isn't what we want to do with her. She is technically not "broke" to ride but Katie sat on her and Klaus put Kyle on her as well, which was a non-issue. Kyle and I saddled her once, too. Kyle is looking forward to riding, just not in shows unless it is a Drive and Ride class at the carriage shows.

Alax is not fond of Angel, not necessarily jealous. (What is there for him to be jealous of? He gets fed, watered, turned out, worked, groomed. He's got it easy.) Other horses get along with her, but Alax doesn't. Considering that they are going to VIlla together (I'm going to show VSE one more time....), they better get over it!
default_laugh.png

Myrna

I'm with Chad on this one -- I love her!

I've always wanted a Welsh cob, but that darned money thing always comes up...

Congratulations! I look forward to seeing what you build for her.

It's a Glory Butterfly bit (arched both forward and up). We are experimenting on the setting, though. Since she is still "pulling" with her front end (she has only been driven about 15 times), she can get heavy in the mouth. The previous owner couldn't stand anything on his hands, so he always used the "curb" (or lower) settling. I have been working on trying to get her to "hold herself up" and not lean on my hands, so I have been using the snaffle (or upper) setting. She has gotten a lot better at bending and using her rear end for turns to drive cones, so that is also lightening up her front end. She reaches for the bit wonderfully, though. And has an awesome strong trot! You give a little bit and you are gone (fast)!

Myrna

She's LOVELY!! I'm drooling over that butt.
default_drool5.gif
I have vowed after all the stuff with Kody's hind end that the next full-sized horse I buy is going to have a rear like a tank and she's a prime example of what I'd want. Can't wait to see more of her as she comes along!

Leia

She is lovely Myrna! I see tons of potential and tons of fun there! Congratulations. Can't wait to see the new outfit!
default_biggrin.png

Oh no! A Welsh pony! My favorite. I am so jealous. She's beautiful! I LOVE that first picture.

Thank you. On Sunday, we had some friends come over and drive in our arena to have an outing before Villa Louis. We found out that Angel has never driven with traffic before, so that was a new experience. So the next day, we took her to a local horse trail to learn that we go places and then go back home. Everytime she has been hauled, she has been sold. So we wanted her to learn to relax and not stress out. She was a really good girl, even with bring passed by my mini pair and our friends' riding horses.

(Oh, and I have to brag a little. Our son drove the mini pair on the trail, too, and did an awesome job! He says he likes to drive the pair more than the single, now.)

Myrna

She is lovely! Looks like she is doing very well for being so green. I would love to hear updates of her progress as well!

Myrna, how tall is she? I have a 45 inch welsh I am having trouble getting a saddle to fit. I can get his girth but it doesn't really lift off his spine when put to. Much of his tack is mini mixed with pony.

I love her movement!!!!

62511don2.JPG

Angel is 12:3, so she is actually in our big horse's harness drawn all the way up (until we get her one of her own). The saddle is a Smucker's Better Fit saddle. From your photo, it looks like your saddle does not have a tree. That would help the saddle sit off the spine.

Myrna

That harness looks like a Carriage House/Country Carriages model to me, which would mean it probably does have a tree. The pony appears to have nice, clean, prominent withers though, which can cause problems such as you're experiencing with not enough clearance even when the saddle is decent. I'd say put it as far back as you can and keep looking for one like Myrna's Better Fit that is built for tall withers. These Welshes are all lovely!

Leia

good eye Leia.....I will be on the lookout for a new saddle.....

Myrna, hope to see you at a show some day..

Back