Mylar Bits

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tammie

Reaction score
I am interested in learning more about the mylar bits before I decide if this is something I want to purchase and have noticed there is quite a wide variety. Can anyone explain some of the differences? and what is the most common type used? If you use these particular bits, why do you like them?

Thanks!

Tammie~

Never seen a Mylar bit but Myler makes excellent bits. (
default_rolleyes.gif
: Mylar is a plastic film. Sorry, my smartie comment for the day)

The way they are joined in the center allows each side to be moved independently. They are also very well constructed but expensive.

The EPB-1 is the "comfort snaffel" and is used for beginning horses. It is basically a standard snaffel bit with the Myler joint.

The EPB-32 is for a more advanced horse. The difference is that it allows each side to move independently but when reined back it becomes a mullen.

These are the only two I use. There are others.

There are now some "knock off" bits that are very similar to the Mylers at a much lower price. I have never used one of them but plan to look into them.

:saludando:

I have the comfort snaffle! My boy loves it, and works very well in it.
default_smile.png

Sorry about the size of the pictures.

GORGEOUSBOY2-1.jpg

GORGEOUS2.jpg

I have one gelding that uses a high port myler- he had a huge scar on his tongue when I got him and this bit worked magic in his case and my other boy wears one of the knock-off(Kelly) comfort snaffles and I really like that bit as well.

Pam

I'd be willing to bet that the two Mylers Al described in fact ARE the most-utilized among Miniature horses. They are the only two I have, also. I move my beginning driving horses into the comfort snaffle after the basic eggbutt when I feel they're ready. The 'mullen action' one is the most versatile bit I believe I've ever used, bar none--I have yet to have a horse that didn't like it! Now, some of my horses go equally well, and rarely, a bit better, in another bit(varies from horse to horse)-but it works QUITE well across the board!

I am still on a quest for a bit that my 38" mare truly likes. We have moved closer and closer(have now had her in four different bits-currently, a solid copper mouth w/ low, wide port...she likes the mouthpiece pretty well, but doesn't need the acidity of the solid copper, as she has a wet mouth anyway.) Am considering looking at the new 'Myler-like' ones, too-or, may go to a two ring butterfly if I can find a good one in the right width(3 3/4")with a suitable mouthpiece.

Margo

Latest posts

Back