Ok bits are they necessary

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thathorsecrazychick

Way to much time to spend on my horse
Reaction score
Seriously are bits necessary. Can anyone give me a reason to use a bit if I drive my horse? Why can’t I do the same with no bit and just rings on side of mouth? I’m going to do more research myself. But just wanted to see peoples opinions on here…

Absolutely no. Any horse can go bitless with time and good training. That said you can't show bitless in breed driving classes, and some horses that were once trained traditionally with a bit can be harder to switch over.

Edited to Add: Check out the bitless driving group on FB ☺️ A few people even have bridleless driving horses

Last edited:
bridleless driving horses
OMG the thought of trying to drive Rowan bridleless, :eek::eek::eek:

It is going fairly well ground driving him in the halter with the rope nose. He definitely doesn't love the bit but he has a lot of overall anxiety once he's hitched to the cart - any whip with a lash is also an issue for him. So it's hard to separate how much it's not liking the bit and how much it's not liking all that goes along with it.

I do think (from riding experience) that if you're trying to do anything more like dressage or very fine-tuned communication, then a bit is helpful. Not that it CAN'T be done without, but a bit can make it a lot easier and clearer for the horse.

For driving I would want to make sure that my horse was easily stopped in the bitless setup, no matter WHAT is happening.

Used properly, a bit is a wonderful thing. It allows you to communicate clearly with your horse, using the lightest of touches, rather than hauling them around with a bitless bridle or a harsh rope halter. But do you need it? No, I don't see why you would. The way that I see it, a halter has a lot of movement on it's own. It wiggles and moves as the horse moves his head. So it's hard for the horse to tell your cue from normal movement. The hold the bit in their mouth so they can more easily feel you pick up a rein. But I don't think a lot of mini horse bits are very well made and could be uncomfortable for them.

I think it depends on the horse. If you can lunge and ground drive just in a halter you MIGHT be able to go bit less.

I was gonna teach my dwarf to drive and go bit less with him. He was about 28 inches tall with a severe underbite. I would not have ever driven him off property though, too much risk involved.

My biggie, 1200 pounds, I can lunge and ground drive in a halter but I would never ride him bit less. He is a VERY well trained horse, 24yo, but at times, when his mood permits he can be a bully. Too much risk involved…. Either that or im too much of a chicken.

Breezy, only 200 pounds, I can’t even lunge nor ground drive in a halter, he has to have a bridle & bit. He is young and has waaaay too much energy. Grass skiing is a real thing with some horses 🤣🤣

F0F8E260-F962-4A34-A0B5-E6C2182E6EF0.jpeg

I could probably drive bit less with my Stormy, but we do a lot of trail driving in a lot of different places. I prefer a bit, but I’m also a big ole chicken 🤣 the older you get, the harder the ground is 🤣🤣

A few people even have bridleless driving horses

I wonder how you steer a bridleless driving horse?? Maybe they just drive bridleless in the same spot over and over? That just seems like too much risk involved for me, especially trail driving and I am up for some pretty challenging things. A bit isn’t a bad thing if in the right hands. Yes, any bit could be harsh, just like any whip, but if used properly it is simply an aide in communication.

Driving bridlless would most likely be done using voice and whip cues. And if in a cart weight cues.

I had a bridlless act long before it was a thing. It was fun, and with the right horse it is spiritual.

They use voice and whip cues, and from what I have seen only drive in an arena. I personally don't think that it is worth the risk. My filly will eventually be trained to drive bitless though, as I will be using her for trail driving only most likely.

Maybe it's because I'm a diehard dressage diva inside... but I really like the connection and feeling I have with a bit. I don't think it's offensive to have a nice mullen mouth well fitted to them as long as my hands are consistent and fair. It's not the bit that's ever the problem, it's the potential of the things on the other side of the reins holding the bit... I start everything in a halter, but much prefer the finer connection a bit offers.

Latest posts

Back