My yearling filly's first show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SandyWI

Reaction score
I placed my yearling filly, Weebiscuits Media Luna, with a trainer in March, and last weekend we went to our first show, which was in South Dakota. They urged me to show her in Amateur Level I halter, and I really didn't want to but ended up doing so.

There were 11 mares in the class and three judges, and I got a 2nd, 5th, and 6th. I really didn't know what I was doing, so those weren't great scores, but at least we placed!

Then my trainer took her into Yearling Mares 28" to 30" Open Halter and she got a 1st, 2nd, and 5th. A bit better, competing against 11 mares again, I think.

In Solid Color Mares she got a 1st and two 2nd's, competing against 9 mares.

In Liberty she got 2 4th's and a 5th. She didn't want to be caught, but luckily she had to stop and poop and the trainer swooped in and haltered her under the time limit, LOL!

So, no Grand Championships, but I think it's OK considering it was her first time in the ring and she was in heat and VERY cranky.

The next day was the AMHR show and a new judge and she didn't do as well. In the Amateur class we got two 3Rd's and the new judge gave us nothing. There were 15 mares in this class.

In the Yearling Mares 34" and Under she got a 3rd, a 4th, and a 6th, against 14 competing horses, and in the Solid Color Mares she got a 1st, 3rd, and 4th. I think there were 11 horses in this one.

So, all in all, she could have come home with 21 ribbons, (not counting the grand championships, etc) and she came home with 20. I was actually thrilled. She was not at all well behaved due to going into heat, which was so disappointing because she is really a friendly, sweet little filly.

Next show is June 15 in Colfax, IA, so we'll see what that will bring!

Here was a pic of her before she went into the ring:

LUCY.jpg

I edited this to add that she really does have eyes! If anyone can tell me HOW to get a digital camera to actually take pics of eye in an indoor setting, please let me know! Gah!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congats!! Sounds like YOU and HER did very well! All those placings are nothing to discount, competition is tough and it sounds like she placed in the top alot! Again, congrats! And good luck at your next show!

It sounds like you did very well to me!!! And, I love her halter. My DunIT will be sporting the same "outfit" this season
default_yes.gif
:

She looks pretty good to me and I would have been happy with those results- you had strong competition.

One your camera you will have something called "red eye" fillin- look in the instruction book, and sort it out when you have time. This will allow you to take indoor pics with a flash without getting that "empty eye socket" look!!!
default_yes.gif
:

One your camera you will have something called "red eye" fillin- look in the instruction book, and sort it out when you have time. This will allow you to take indoor pics with a flash without getting that "empty eye socket" look!!!
default_yes.gif
:
I knew there was an automatic red eye correction but didn't know there was a zombie eye correction as well. Thanks for the tip! I'll read my manual.... something I probably should have done six months ago when I bought the camera!
default_wacko.png
:

Congratulations! :aktion033: Love her color, very pretty.

CONGRATULATIONS, :aktion033: she is a very pretty filly.
default_wub.png
: It sounds like you did very good with her. Corinne

Way to go Lucy & Sandy!!! :aktion033: Those are wonderful placings for her first time out....I'd be proud too!
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back