My turn to ask for prayors ...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
Vet just left, Coco is sick agian. I really dont understand what is going on with this horse :no:. I go out of my way to keep him healthy bc i know how prone he is to getting ill. It has been really chilly around here the past few days and yesterday i wore a jacket out to the barn, compared to last week when you were sweating bullets before you made it out the door!

Well yesterday morning i noticed Coco had a slight cough and runny nose. I cleaned out his nose and put vicks in his nose to keep him opened up. I know that this is how it starts bc i've been around and around with this horse's health before. Called our vet and ran over to his office to get some penisilin (sp). Started him on the doses when we got home. He didnt have a temp yesterday either. It was really chilly last night so i blanketed him, cleaned his nose out once more and put on some vicks. This morning i went out and he had yellow/green snot running out of both nostrils, runny eyes and i took his temp and he has a slight temp. Called the vet agian and had him come out to look at him and gave us some more medicine that was a bit stronger.

I clean his nose out and put some vicks in his nose on average 3x a day. Its chilly out so i got him blanketed. He's was in his stall yesterday and i took him out last night to stretch his legs. The vet said to keep him inside and blanketed. We have to give him the shot 2x a day AM & PM. He also gave him a shot himself along with the meds were to give him. He noticed i had some Red Cell and he suggested started him on that to boost him up and keep him on that a month or so to get him back up.

He is supose to be going to the fair on the 21-27th and show on the 26th with Mellissa (MDMminis) showing him but i'm going to cancell his class this afternoon. There is no way i am going to take him and expose him to any germs or any horses if my life depended on it.

Is there anything else i can do to keep him comfy other then the vicks ext?

I'm a nervous wreck when he gets sick. I just dont understand him. I've never seen Royal or Harley get sick and i've only had 1 get sick before and that was only once. I just dont get how Coco can be this prone to it. I'm almost scared for this winter to come! They only thing i can think of is this cold weather triggering it. We just recently moved into our new barn about a week ago and i'm so happy we have full solid dividers so they cannot touch noses unlike our old barn, i dont need two sick horses. I'm a bit releived about that.

I wormed him 2 weeks ago and switch wormers almost every other month. He's deffently pooping enough and he's drunk nearly twice as much water as he normally does overnight. He's eating hay and i've divided up the portions he normally gets and am feeding him hay 5x a day instead of 2x but smaller amounts so he is not standing around in his stall doing nothing. I'm going to start him on Red Cell as the vet instructred and keep him on that for a while and hope that helps him along some.

I'm keeping an eye on him but can i just ask for prayors for him to get better soon?

Thank you so much!

I would appreciate that so much!!

Leeana H.

default_pray.gif
: and thinking of Coco, to get feeling better.
default_wub.png
:

[SIZE=14pt]Leeana, Maybe he gets sick so much because his immune system is somehow compromised either from inadequate care before you rescued him from the sale or lack of vaccinations before you got him. I hope he gets better for you soon. Sorry he is sick so often.[/SIZE]

Lyn

im so sorry!!! i would put him on some fast track. seems to really build immune systems in horses. I can bring some to the clinic if you want. This crazy weather we have been having has been wrecking havoc with a lot of horses. Diva coliced yesterday and as soon as i got her moving again my neighbors horse coliced too! Not good when you go from 55 at night to 88 during the day. Its just too much temp extreme in one day. sending good thoughts to coco

Oh Leeana I am so sorry to hear that Coco is sick again. Prayers and good wishes coming your way.

Ginny StP

I would ask your vet about doing a CBC -complete blood count on him.He may be running a low grade infection all the time&it just flares up once in a while.Just a suggestion.Hope he feels better.

I'm with Lynn & Bevann.......he may have a lingering infection, possibly guteral

and he probably, does seem, to have some immune intolerance. Both together and it could be hard on both of you.

Prayers for a fast and full recovery, coming his way.

Prayers and good thoughts coming for Coco and you! Hoping he gets better!

Keeping you and he in my thoughts. I hope you can discover why he's feeling so poorly and get it resolved for once and for all.

Liz M.

Many of the symptoms sound alot like strangles..........if this has been an ongoing problem, maybe the vet needs to scope him and do cultures and culture sensitivities..........it could be some sort of recurrent strep (strangles is caused by strep)..........he might need a different antibiotic and the best way would be to do the sensitivity testing...................hope you get an answer and he starts feeling better

Oh, I hope Coco gets better pronto, keeping him in my prayers!

You might want to also explore infection, gutteral pouch, sinus, tooth. Maybe have the vet culture the 'snot' and see what bugs are there as you may not be treating with the right antibiotics. Just a thought, not a vet, of course, but do ask you vet for an opinion on that.

default_pray.gif
: I sure hope he gets better soon, I hate when the little guys don't fell well , Jody

His temp is almost normal this morning and his nose isnt as runny as it was yesterday but it still has some stuff coming out of it. Cleaned out his nose and put some vicks in his nose and i think he actually starting to enjoy the vicks bc he hasnt blown it back out on me yet lol. He does seem a little better this morning and a bit more lively. I'm hoping this will all be over soon.

I didnt even think about asking the vet why he could be so prone to getting sick so easily while he was here untill i came in the house and starting thinking about it. I'm going to try to call today and see if there are any tests he could do to see what is going on with this horse. I will ask him about the CBC. I was lucky to get him out here yesterday. When i first called him he just told us to come over and pick up some penisilin (sp). This close to fair week he's normally busy with signing health papers on all the livestock and horses showing next week.

Thanks for all the good thoughts!

default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back