My turn - Maiden mare foaled

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
And no colostrum! Sasakwa was 338 days today with not enough bag to even think about. Turned her out in the pasture this morning around 10 and found her and her new filly at 3:30 this afternoon. Brought them into the barn and gave Sasakwa some oxytocin. Charlotte had some Seramune so she brought that over plus some Domperidone which we gave Sasakwa. Tried to get the Seramune down the foal without much luck. She has been nursing the mare, so she didn't feel the need to take anything from a syringe.

Ended up calling my vet to see if he could tube the Seramune down the foal. Fortunately, he was able to come and we did that. Gave Sasakwa some more Oxytocin. By 8 pm, Sasakwa's milk had turned white, though still very thin, it was starting to feel somewhat sticky. Hopefully, she is now producing some colostrum and the foal may still be able to reap some benefit from it.

Dr Danielson will come back later tomorrow afternoon and run an IgG. Please keep this pretty filly in your thoughts and prayers!

default_pray.gif
Becky, praying for your little filly and her momma.

Becky,

I so hope your little filly will be ok.

I wish Bonnie was on here to read this.

I am still worried about her - she was so good at posting pictures almost daily. Since Hurricane Ike I have not heard a word from her.

You just never know with these mares.

Glad to know that she foaled no problem per say. Glad your vet could come out and will send good thoughts and prayers that filly will be just fine. I am sure you must be just running on adrenaline right now with the worry. Hugs to you.

hope everything goes well, i was told that the Seramune is really good, but as always nothing is as good as Moms colostrum. Is the fily strong?? i would give antibiotics to ward off any infections. 5 cc pennicillian, 1/2 cc baytril combination works well. We do that on all our little ones when things "just dont look quite right" Prayers for your new one.

My neighbor was here yesterday and we were talking about old fashioned home remedies. He told a story about a mare with no milk who was given a beer, then 12 hours later given another. Milk came in almost immediately and all was well. Not necessarily suggesting it, just thought it was interesting. Ya never know about those home remedies. Hope all goes well with your little one.

Hi Becky

I do hope your little one will be okay and momma too? Please keep us updated.

Beth

Going through an unexpected delivery and finding a standing foal is a blessing, but having to worry about the lack of colostrum tempers the joy. I sure hope things will be Ok, Becky.

Becky --

When Lou had Passion this year she was dis-mature and we syringed into the feeding tube the vet placed about 1/3 a bottle of Seramune (more than what she should have needed). Passion still needed two plasma transfusions. So, I know 100% for sure the Seramune does NOT give the foal what they need if they don't get enough colostrum
default_sad.png
And Passion got the Seramune well within the first 12 hours. I will not be buying the product again but will use some of the less expensive booster pastes really JUST as a calorie / energy boost.

The good news is that Passion is a 5mos old fire ball now. Healthy as a horse
default_laugh.png

Good luck with your new little one!

Jill

PS Equidone / Domperidone did bring milk in FAST and streaming in our experience.

Jill, Seramune will not work in the few rare cases where the foal is not able to absorb the antibodies, in those cases colostrum doesn't work either and the foal will have to have a transfusion. This is why I do the IGg test every year on my foals, because you never know when one of them will not absorb antibodies and will need the "extra" help.

Becky, Best wishes for your little one, I hope she tests just fine!

Kim, that could have been the case with Passion, but from what my vets said, it does not do what the label claims and it is not an adequate substitute for colostrum. I had consulted them before ordering it and was told basically it won't hurt, but we don't think it helps, either. The results on Passion just confirmed my feeling that it's not actually worth having on hand. I just want Becky to be prepared (like I was) for the possibility that the Seramune will not do the trick and that a transfusion may be needed.

To read the labeling / advertising for Seramune, it sounds like the best thing you could ask for and I was very excited when I initially learned about the product but now based on what my vets have told me they think about it and our own experience, I would not recommend it as I think it has the potential to give owners a false sense of security.

Last edited by a moderator:
My neighbor was here yesterday and we were talking about old fashioned home remedies. He told a story about a mare with no milk who was given a beer, then 12 hours later given another. Milk came in almost immediately and all was well. Not necessarily suggesting it, just thought it was interesting. Ya never know about those home remedies. Hope all goes well with your little one.
A friend didnt have a lot of milk and she was breastfeeding, the Doctor told her to drink a glass of beer a day, it works for humans, why not horses.

Sending good thoughts for your baby and Mama, Kathy

Thanks everyone for your well wishes.

Jill, I am hoping that the Seramune will help. I certainly know that it's not a 100% given. However, with the mare having very inadequate colostrum (testing poor to fair on the refractometer) and me not having any frozen colostrum here, I figure it was better than nothing. The IgG today will tell the story. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that no plasma transfer will be needed, but I'm well aware that it is still a possibility.

In all of my years of foaling out miniature mares, this is the first mare that has not had a full udder and no colostrum.

I'm heading to the barn in a minute and will give an update when I come back in.

Kim, that could have been the case with Passion, but from what my vets said, it does not do what the label claims and it is not an adequate substitute for colostrum. I had consulted them before ordering it and was told basically it won't hurt, but we don't think it helps, either.
Same hear. I asked my vet if it was worth having on hand, and had the same response. They said the best safety net is to have a back up source of colostrum. Now, the domperidone is worth its weight in gold. I had a mare foal, she had no milk, I gave her some oxytocin, used hot compresses, and had someone run to the clinic and pick up the domperidone. It kicked in pretty fast. The next day the foals IGg test came back and the levels were off the charts so I was fortunate enough to have the foal get enough colostrum. Hang in there, it is possible to have a rough start and still have things turn out okay.

Carolyn

Becky,

Hoping all goes well for your little filly. Sounds like you have it under control. Post pictures when you get a chance - you know how much I love that mare! Bet her little one is just spectacular. I will keep your filly and mare in my thoughts.

Wishing you the best for your little filly. You must be exhausted. Please give us an update when you can

Sasakwa has more udder this morning and I held off giving her any more oxytocin. The filly is still active and nurses aggressively, so everything looks good for now. The IgG will be the telling factor later.

The filly is the 4th foal we've had by Redrock Magic Maker this year and the 4th filly.
default_smile.png
This one is a chestnut pinto who appears to be homozygous as she is covered in ink spots. I will take some pictures this morning and post later.

I wanted to add that the mare was 338 days gestation and with virtually no bag, that has never happened here with a full term mare.

Latest posts

Back