My Post Hospital / Surgery Follow Up Appt Results

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, ladies!!!

I've been recovering really smoothly and even went to the office last week for a couple of appointments. AND, I've been sleeping in the bed for maybe a week? I can't remember but about that long.

Only problem now is the incission is a little infected but I saw the surgeon on Thursday and got some antibiotics. It's improving and I see him again on Wednesday.

I've been so lucky through this. It turned out to be not lung cancer, but a salivary gland tumor in my lung. It didn't spread from anywhere, that's just where it was. When I saw the surgeon last week (for the incission infection), he said he thinks I am "well clear of it now" and that it's a rare sort of tumor, but he feels I will do fine going forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is such wonderful news Jill! You must feel so much better.....emotionally! I couldn't be happier for you.

Carol

Hey, Jill, I've been wondering how you are, I hadn't seen you on here in a little while.

A salivary gland tumor--that's what I had. At the time the doctor told me it was very rare, about one person in a million gets them....so I've always said I AM ONE IN A MILLION. Really!!
default_laugh.png
And now you are equally special!!

default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

Mine was a mucoepidermoid carcinoma--would that be the same thing as yours? Mine was extremely low grade, non-metastasizing, and doesn't grow back as long as every single cell of it gets removed. No chemo or radiation treatments needed. Mine hasn't come back in 24+ years so the doctor must have got it right!!
default_biggrin.png

Yes!!!

That's exactly what the surgeon's letter to the pulmonologist (I got a cc: of it) said it was!!! I didn't totally understand it so was happy he clarified it simply for me this past week when I saw him. I started to google it a couple weeks ago when I got the letter but the first glance at what I saw scared me so I haven't consulted "Dr. Google" on it again!

Your post is really reassuring!!! I felt much better after I talked to the surgeon on Thursday and you just re-confirmed my feeling good about the situation
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

Jill,

Been thinking about you a lot during this time, just haven't been on the forum very much. I'm so glad to hear how this has turned out and sure hope you're back to normal as soon as possible!
default_wub.png

Jill, so happy to hear your recovering. Heres BIG (((HUGS))) and prayers for you and Harvey
default_smile.png

Oh, Jill, I was hoping you hadn't done a google search on it. Fact is, for many years I never even knew what my tumor was called--never really asked or paid attention if/when the doctor said it, all I cared about was what it really was, not what it was called. It was just this past winter/spring when I had a long-winded pneumonia and the doctor was looking back through my files that I read & made note of what it was called. Then I did a google search on it. Bad mistake! Even now what I read there scared me!! I'm SO glad that in 1985 when I had the surgery I didn't have internet--at that time it would have scared me to death (yep, I'm like you, I can worry over just about anything if I put my mind to it!!)

Unlike you I didn't get diagnosed quickly--because I was only 18 when I started having symptoms, and I had never smoked, my vague problems were attributed to "allergies". Those "allergies" got progressively worse--I had a serious and constant cough (not like a smoker's cough, it honestly was like a cough you'd get if an allergy caused your throat to get irritated) & they still called it allergies--only when I started coughing up blood did they send me for x-rays. By that point the tumor had blocked off the airway completely and the lower lobe of my lung had collapsed. I was skinny as a rail & always tired--so if I could be that seriously affected for as long as I was, & my tumor still hasn't grown back or shown up somewhere else--that's very encouraging--you honestly shouldn't worry about yours coming back!! I did have to have annual checkups with the surgeon for 10 years after surgery, but that was a precaution more than anything--just to be absolutely sure--he never really expected to find anything in those 10 years.

In any case, don't go back to google about this. It's better not to. Besides--after I read some of it through the second time I sort of figured out that much of the worst stuff actually applied to the cases where the tumor was in the salivary gland to start with--then it's more likely to be a higher grade & is likely to come back later in the lung--it was kind of confusing the way it was written, but that's how I interpreted it. Don't go there. You'll be fine!
default_cheekkiss.gif

Thank you everyone!

I will avoid googling it. Just what I glimpsed had scared me badly and I resolved to listen to the doctors who know MY situation vs. google, and what you're saying, Holly, just confirms it.

It was lucky it was caught in me. I had no symptoms that I could feel, such as coughing, but after finding out, I attribute quite a bit to it (long time tiredness, swollen hands / feet). It was also blocking my airway, but in me, it had collapsed the upper lobe. My bloodwork was just off and I kept trying to find out why when finally a doctor ordered a chest xray.

Just very VERY (OMG VERY) happy to be on THIS side of the situation with the worst behind me
default_smile.png

Jill, this is great news and sounds like you are doing really well!! And improving each day. Soon you will be able to put this nasty mess behind you and get back to normal. I am so thrilled to hear that this is what it was vs. what it could have been!!! Hugs to you (gentle ones til you heal more, LOL) and keep improving!

I am glad that u are done with the surgery. It takes time to get over serious health issues so do not rush and take one day at a time and baby steps....
default_wub.png

Hey Jill

Just thinking about you and hoping you (and your fur kids) are getting over the surgery and continuing to improve daily!!

Dont be working too much yet!

Hi Jill, I am so glad everything has worked out for you and boy this must be a big weight lifted off your shoulders!

Continued prayers for healing.....we need you. Lil Beginnings wouldn't be the same without you!
default_wub.png

Been thinking of you Jill. Hope with every day you are feeling stronger and you are healing quickly.

How are those fish tanks coming along? Didn't you say you had gone into work too? Hope that is going well. It is always good to get back to the things you enjoy. Sending prayers to keep you on a fast mend. The Lord is surely watching over you.

Thanks, everyone. I feel really pretty good.

I have been going to the office for client meetings. I did two seminars Thursday and got a little out of breath talking, but not too bad. It more surprised me and then emotionally upset me than actually being a physical issue. But it's not been very long and I am sure all will be well given enough time.

This Thursday, Oct. 1, I see an oncologist to talk about my situation and what I should do next. I'm sure surveillance, but maybe radiation or chemo... not sure, but I want to be VERY proactive in this department. The pulmonologist didn't think I'd need any, however, at the time she said this, we thought it was a different sort of tumor. The surgeon told me he thinks I am "well clear of it now", but obviously, I will favor the oncologist's opinion in this area.

My new aquarium hobby is still a big obsession. We've set up many tanks including ones for fancy goldfish, betta fish, tropicals, and mbuna cichlids. I really enjoy the fish and even love maintaining the tanks!

Will let you all know what the oncologist says. I really, really appreciate the support of our community here. We LB-ers are a very good group of people!!!

I am so glad you are doing well, Jill! I hope you don't have to go through radiation or chemo so will be waiting to see what you find out in that department.

Glad you are improving more all the time, I have been keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully all will be good and you can put this behind you. I can't imagine what kind of life changing thing this has been for you. <<hugs>>

Hi Jill, I haven't been on the forum much. Last I heard was they felt the tumor was non-cancerous and you were out of the woods. Sending continued prayers and good thoughts.

Back