My Poor Mare.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cricket8

Reaction score
Well, she hasn't gotten any better. I went in the stall to grab her and she turned on me and when I put my hand on her behind to let her know its ok she nailed me in my calf. We gave her some muscle relaxers and the vet will be coming out to see her Tuesday ( out of the kindness of his heart he's not charging a farm call since he's in the area). My poor girl is just a ball of nerves. She used to stand still and accept everything and anything. We shall see, and let's just say she is NOT staying on the fairgrounds next year at the fair.

Tuesday is kind of a long time to wait if she is not getting better?? Sorry she is not improving.

Poor girl. Poor you. I hope you can find an answer that helps her get back to her old self and soon.
default_pray.gif

He doesn't find it to be an immediate need. He doesnt even know if he will be able to diagnose what's wrong with her. But prayerfully the relaxers kick in and give her a break.

Oh and she's on a total of 1500 mgs of methocarbomal 2x daily until then. Thank you me too!
default_smile.png

Do you have access to a good equine chiropractor in your area? Its amazing what an adjustment can do to help. She might not have needed an adjustment before whatever happened to start this, but she might now. And be forewarned, if she's sore, she might bite or kick the chiropractor. I've had a few of mine adjusted, and one bit the guy during the adjustment (its about their only way of saying ouch that hurts).

Yea we do. We have an amish guy who is amazing. The only thing I worry about is that she has major heat in her croup area. I have a lady who has been massaging her and doing rikie or however its spelled and it works but, she reverts back. It makes me so sad she is acting this way. I literally cried because my feelings were hurt that she would actually kick me. Poor gal.

Really hope that your vet can find what is wrong and do something to help her. Could she have had a fall or banged her head when she was at the fair? Or could someone even have tried riding her and have hurt her back? Sorry but I dont know the exact set up for her when you left her there or who was actually responsible for the horses at the time.

Poor girl, hope things can get sorted very soon.

Yea we do. We have an amish guy who is amazing. The only thing I worry about is that she has major heat in her croup area. I have a lady who has been massaging her and doing rikie or however its spelled and it works but, she reverts back. It makes me so sad she is acting this way. I literally cried because my feelings were hurt that she would actually kick me. Poor gal.
If he's that good, then at least have him come evaluate her, and see what he thinks would be her next step for treatment. He may only be able to adjust part of her, but sometimes even little parts add up to make the whole feel better.

Reiki and massage are great, but if an adjustment is needed, the massage won't do anything to help that problem. It might take all three: Reiki, massage and chiropractic adjustments to get her right again.

Just had a sudden thought - you might consider giving Bonny Fogg a call, she is just amazing at being able to tell you where an animal hurts/what is wrong
default_yes.gif

We use this guy for the racehorses and he has always done a wonderful job. I will have to give him a call. The barn is on the outside of the fairgrounds, its a racehorse barn. Usually someone is there or the police are patroling. Someone very well could have jumped in their stall and be idiots. I am absolutely infuriated. Not only for her but we have really expensive horses in that barn. I have a friend who is an animal psychic and I asked her to come out because Sonny the barn blab hasn't been blabbing. He's the only one who will contact her long distance. Cricket is pretty quiet ever since she got her buddy. She can't come out right now because we had a virus blow through our barn. I thought it could have been that but it has been weeks now. We shall see and I will let everyone know what happens. Maybe I should contact her too just to make me feel as though I have done everything possible for her. She's my little rescue and I love her to bits.

She kicked out of pain, nothing to do with you. Heat=pain, very well could have something out of place, which could cause the heat as well.

Oh yes I know it wasn't meant to be a mean gesture. It just really sucked because the whole time I was working on her horribly infected tail she never once threatend to kick and now she did. I really didn't think she had it in her.

From time to time I think we've all had a mystery problem that we can't quite put our finger on. I know I have. Wish I had an answer for you and hope you can get to the bottom of this soon. Best wishes an positive thoughts.

If you're having her massaged, that won't last long if she is out of alignment and needs a chiropractic adjustment. I have sport dogs and they see both massage therapists and a chiropractor (who also works on horses and humans) and all of those professionals agree: chiro first, massage second. If the spine is out of alignment it will continue to agitate the muscles.

Best of luck finding a reason for her grouchy behavior - it is so hard knowing that something is wrong but not being able to figure it out.
default_sad.png

Just a thought........one of our dachshund woke up one morning paralyzed in her hind end, we rush to the vet where we learned she had calcification on her spine. Surgery was not recommended but acupuncture was to control her pain. We started with once a week then twice a month then monthly. Although Grace never walked again she is pain free, happy, can pull herself around and she even has a wheelchair! My vet also does acupuncture on horses and has told me it is very effective for them. She said of all the animals she does horses seem to benefit from it the most. Just thought I would pass this info on to you. I hope your little Mare is doing better.

Hope your mare starts to feel better very soon. I know how it is with hurt feelings. Just remember they are just communicating as best they can the only way they know how.

I hate to go to the dark side - but the fair grounds police wouldn't have known if the person(s) that assaulted your horse were the owners or not in the dark. BUT this sounds like someone did a bad job on her - even to the point of riding her and beating her - which explains why (I agree she is out of alignment) she is out of alignment and is hurting - especially if it was as drunken fool or stupid drunk teenager doing the damage.

This one will take time, you need to learn not to be offended, she is trying to do the best she can with a very difficult situation.

Back