My newest addition

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMH

Reaction score
I finally got the tarantula I have been wanting for years. I told Greg that I wanted that for Valentine's Day, instead of riding lessons or flowers and chocolate. Went out last night and got her. This is El Reina Rojo, or The Red Queen (little hat tip to the movie Resident Evil). She is a Mexican Red Knee, Latin name Brachylpelma smithii, and is about 3" across, including her legs. So far she has been pretty laid back and has settled into her new home nicely. Just had to share, so darn excited.

tarantula.jpg

Neat critter, but I will admire her from right back here behind the screen.
default_smile.png

Congrats!

Liz M.

Something real similar had fallen on my chest like that before but it was all black and bigger of course I about had a heart attack. I'm afraid of spiders it would take a magnifying glass to see
default_yes.gif
: . Interesting Valentine Gift though. You don't see that often
default_smile.png

Amanda

Beautiful spider....btw...how can you tell it's a girl? Are you able to handle her yet?

She's pretty
default_yes.gif
: I used to own a pink toed tarantula I named it Maybelline.

oooohhh very PRETTY! I like the chilean rose hair tarantulas because of their docile temperaments, but they aren't near as pretty as your girl!

Have fun, make sure you handle her enough so she doesn't get cranky at you...

Andrea

Looks like she's living it up at a spider's version of the Ritz! Wow...
default_smile.png

I am not 100% she is female, but it is most likely. You can ID a male because they have club-looking pedipalps (the smaller legs in front) and tibial spurs. This one has very pointy pedipalps and no visible spurs. When she has her first molt I will be able to tell for sure.

I haven't held her yet cause I just got her last night (Feb.10) and want to give her a chance to settle into her new home. At the pet store the woman that was in charge of the tarantulas did handle her, so I was able to see that she wasn't overly aggressive.

And a quick correction. Her name is La Reina Rojo. Realized earlier it should be the female version of the, not male.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reannen............you always crack me up with all your critters.

Well......she is pretty.....I like the tortashell coloring.....in CATS.

Whatever floats your boat!

MA

[SIZE=10pt]I use to have a tarantula for a pet, along with a scorpion and a pet rat - back in my twenties. :bgrin I dont remember the name of my spydee - or my scorpion - but my rats name was rattykins.
default_rolleyes.gif
: Congrats!![/SIZE]

Lori

Latest posts

Back