My mini is a duck killer!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meshale

Reaction score
Ok a question all.......now keep in mind a cold front just came into my part of Missouri......and my little Stallion is going NUTS!!!!!..... :eek: .....running.... kicking....and chasing everything down!!!!....he just ran down one of my ducks..killed it...stepped on it and bit feathers out!........chasing all the chickens..bitting at them..and now he is chasing the goats down and had one of my wethers (fixed males)..pinned in the conner (after running him into it)..and had a mouth full of him!!!!!........ok is it the weather.......is it the Stallion...or is it just meaness!!!..HELPPPPPP.....Michelle

Sounds like your boy needs to be fixed and get calmed down alot lol :lol:

Usually with cold fronts they start feeling great especially after it being in the mid 60s today.

I was driving my mare that I haven't driven in over a year and here came the cold front, boy that was fun lol.

I've got one stallion thats a chicken killer and one stallion thats a confirmed dog killer but they didn't turn this way overnight. It's probably just the weather but honestly just in case be careful, there are health problems that can cause sudden and bizarre behaviour changes such as rabies and a brain tumor. The attacking and biting of the goat would concern me, I hope you got the poor little guy out of there.

krisp

YIKES!!

I have never heard of weather making an animal aggressive, frisky yes but not aggressive.

I would think if the behaviour is allowed to continue, or not stopped, you could have a real bully on your hands.

I am no expert but I think you should nip this in the bud!

Well Brando is a big bully...he has been mean to my goats sense day one......he has just lately started to allow them near him somewhat.....but hopefully after the gelding and two months at a trainers...he will come home with a bit different attitude*S*
default_yes.gif
:

Scooter, the goat he lit into, was fine i went right out and yelled and went to scooter..and he had some wet spots, but brando didn't pull the hair out or do worse......my poor scooter!!!.......
Scooter1.jpg

and my girl Connie..who is due in March and yes he has had a go at her too!errrrr
Connie1.jpg

Can you seperate him from the rest?? I'd sure hate to see him kill anything else.....and your goats sure look cute!!

If he is on his own he will continue to make his own fun even after his fixing and training. Horses are herd animals, end of story. Some can adjust to life on their own, some never do. You must be prepared for the fact that yours may be one of those. Time at the trainers, with other horses around him, will certainly calm him down. When he returns, if you do not plan on getting him companion, it may actually be worse . Goats do not speak the same language as horses.

Horses really do need other horses.

I agree he is bored. His mind is bored. Who can blame him.

Gelding him and going to the trainers is good. What I heard from the past he needs some work. I say for his reward when he comes home find him another gelding and let them rough house.

I agree i think he might be lonely.....he came from a big heard..and now he is alone except for the goats and chickens.......hopefully i can fine him a friend after he comes home from training (hoping to send him in March).....and with the trainer he will be there for two months...so here is a question.....Mare or Gelding????....nothing under the age of 8!!!!!..LOL....

We have a mare about 12 who every spring kills geese when they land here at the dugout for water and there's a ton of them for weeks that come down. She'll almost stalk them with her ears pinned just staring at the spot she sees them then slowly inches up and pounces with her front leggs if they don't fly away we shoveled up 4 last year that were to slow. But l can't say she's a nasty mare because she really isn't only geese seem to get to her and she feels she has to take them out for some reason. She's never stepped on a cat yet under her feet very careful around them and the 5 pound housedog no matter what the weather.

I would not put a stallion of any size- Mini or full sized, in with other animals not horses. QH stallions have been known to kill calves by picking them up and shaking them. I would seperate him from the rest but where, if he must have company, the goats are next to him on the OTHER side of the fence.

If you are not planning on using him for breeding, I would certainly make an appointment for gelding!! He is cranky and frustrated and apparently needs a job. This will not, however, make him nicer to his pasture mates if he does not like other non horse animals. Some horses are just that way.

My neighbors had an old sheep and a potbellied pig in the same pen together. The pen was not small- probably 20 by 60 and the sheep got mad one day and about killed the pig. I had to run over the fence and get her away from it. They did not share a pen any longer after that. She literally tried to grind it into the dirt and this was not a tiny pot belly either.

A stallion has very powerful jaws and if he is killing things, he obviously does not value their company that much!!! :eek:

Over the years we have had a number of horses that did not allow any animals in their pasture. Our last big hose was a hackney Clyde cross. I found several dead foxes, a wolf and one neighbors dog in her pasture. By the time she was done with them they looked like road pizza. She almost caught my beagle one time and it was just a matter of inches that saved the beagle. I was to far away to have made any difference in the outcome. Beagle to this day will not even chase a rabbit through that pasture but has no fear of the minis at all. I do not think the weather has any bearing on it at all. Its natural for a horse to defend itself against predators. Its just very dangerous for a horse thats outnumbered.

I have 3 mini stallions here and my ducks and chickens run in and out of their pens all day long and have never had a problem. And the stallions were here first too. My 2 geldings and my mares don't bother them either. Sorry you are having a problem and don't know the answer as to why.

Joyce

It is the first time i have seen him do it on purpose trying to hurt them....i have seen him before just run and act like he wanted to play...but he got way carried away!!!!!.......because like all day today.....he was just normal..him and all the rest..he didn't act they bothered him a bit!!!AHHHH..so confussing he can be!!!!!!!!:deadhorse2:

I am right now looking on our sale board just to start thinking in the direction of a heard mate for him..(after he is gelded and has been in training!)......i am thinking 6+ good mannered mare..maybe gelding......any thoughts on that???????

Good for you, Michelle, you have been given some good advice and are now looking for ways to take it- kudos to you, my dear.

I would say go for a gelding- for reasons just not explicable you will be able to get a really, really good gelding for half the price of a mediocre mare. Get something with papers, around 4-5 years old, used to other geldings and NOT newly gelded, and hopefully cart trained.

Then all you have to do is get the cart and harness
default_yes.gif
:

Thank you Fizzy i am sure trying to make this all work!!!LOL...I am gonna call my vet tomorrow and see if we can't get a bit of the ole "snip snip "..going on this weekend!!hahaha

Just a note of caution!!! If you do get another horse when you bring it home DO NOT just throw the 2 of them together right off the bat. Allow them to get acquainted with a good solid fence, preferably not wire, between the 2 of them. Watch for any agression to dissipate before you attempt to put them together in the same field and even then watch for aggression on either part. I have had horses that just could not be turned out with other animals - even other horses. Wouldn't want your new boy to get hurt or killed.
default_yes.gif
:

And something else to think about if this has just started recently is - is he in pain? Pain can make for a very cranky horse.

I don't think he is in pain...he doesn't seem to be...and i was gonna keep them seperate and see how that went..i have two small fields next to each other.....just pray they play nice..ughhhhhh

I had a three year old stallion that was getting rather agressive last year, and to calm him down I put one of my older broodmares in with him. She quickly showed him his place in the pecking order, and he is the biggest puppy dog now!

Good Luck with your little guy!

Back